This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my boss just doesn't get it

Friday was a surprisingly good day...until my workday was almost half over.

I didn't get my first break until 3 hours and 55 minutes into my workday, and even then FES wanted me to stay up front while she worked on some issue. Um, no. Call one of the managers to cover my register.

Then I didn't get my second break on time. They decided to push it back (without telling me) because my first break was a good 1½-2 hours late.

Then I find out that 3 coworkers are getting as many/MORE hours than me...and I've been there 10½-11 months longer then them.

My boss happened to wander by the break room when I finally managed to get my second break, and noticed I was a bit upset.

After crying a bit (I cry when I'm frustrated) I told him that BOTH my breaks were late and that it wasn't the first time this week that it happened. He replied that break times aren't set in stone, which I understand. I did tell him that when there are 3 people there, and one of them leaves at 2 o'clock, maybe I should get my first break before they leave (that'd be my 3 hour mark). He did agree with me on that one.

Then he asked when FES left for the day. 2 minutes after I finally got my first break. He was a bit pissed at that. He said I definitely should have gotten my break well before that. You think?!?

After we talked that into the ground, we got into the schedule. I told him that I don't think it's fair that the new people are getting as many/more hours. (I've worked long and hard to get the hours I do get, and was barely breaking even on rent/bills on the hours I was getting, and now I'm getting 2-5 less a week, which can cause me to miss a bill payment.) His reaction was something like this:

He honestly cannot understand why I'm upset about that. When I first started, I was lucky to get 25 hours a week, and these people waltz in and get 35-39??

My review is coming up soon, and he says once an as-of-yet undisclosed issue gets resolved, he can't see why I wouldn't get 40 hours, especially when up until the last few weeks I've been averaging 38/week.

And don't get me started that for the second time this week, I had to *ask* the dumb bitch at the SD if I can pull my drawer...10 minutes after my shift ended. This girl can't figure out how to read a break schedule, has no clue that she can, in fact, send more then one person out to face at a time, and just plain has no idea that she NEEDS to look at the schedule when she comes in to find out who needs to do what when. "But she does a great job at everything else!!" Um, this is a good 80% of her job and she has proved she sucks at it.

Thanks for reading my rant.
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

I can totally relate when it comes to scheduling. My store just held mass interviews for the second time in three months, while most everyone else is getting less hours than usual. One week last month I was scheduled two days, and the scheduling manager said it was because more employees were available to work than usual. I know holidays are coming up, but dammit, check the availability of currently underscheduled employees before hiring new ones!

My rant sympathizes completely with your rant.

Comment

I always hated that, I started one job at an art gallery and was told in my interview AND the advertisement that it was full time. When I clarified what that meant they said "35+ hours a week".

After my second month there they cut it to 12 hours a week... I can't eat on 12 hours wage a week so I ring my boss and let her know I either need the hours back or I will have to get a second job..... WAIT WHAT A SECOND JOB OH NO NONONONO! They couldn't have that because then I might not be avaliable when they need me.
      It took another month of daily hounding to get my hours back on the schedule and even then it was 28 hours some weeks and 50 the next....

honestly I am too old to put up with that crap now, I still wonder what the hell was wrong with me that I put up with that in the first place!
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I'm trying to decide whether I should try to get a job at one of the other local grocery stores.

At least one of our employees came from one of our competitors, and has nothing good to say about them.

Then there is the local employee-owned grocery store that seems pretty OK.

This is almost making me wish I'd stuck with a gas station job when I moved up here (and Lord knows that this is NOT a good thing).

And I feel bad. My situation is nothing compared to AriGriffin's, and yet I'm still complaining.

Comment

At this point, while waiting for my review (today is my 1 year anniversary there), I'm trying to decide whether to have a chat with my manager's boss.

Up until about a month or two ago (give or take) I was told by then FES AND manager's boss that they want me to have more hours. Cool. Bring them on.

Then FES is transfered to our new store. Manager's boss isn't at work as often (or at least isn't as visible). I know that the new FES doesn't really like me.

The downside to talking to my manager's boss? He's my boss' father. I think I'd have a fair chance with him, but his son IS a daddy's boy.

Coworkers have told me the results of their reviews and things weren't pretty for them. One called out twice in 2 years and got a bad attendance review. Also got a talking to for not being a team player because he won't always come in when called because of a callout or whatever. Another was late-but worked later that day to make up for it-and also got a bad attendance review.

God knows what they're going to get me on.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
            God knows what they're going to get me on.
            At the rate they're going, you'll never find out.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
            X