This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Unicru Application SUCKS

I don't know where else this should go (though I am tempted to start a topic in a fratching on this), but it has got to be said. Unless I know for certain that they are hiring, I will NOT apply at a place that uses the Unicru hiring process. It's not just the stupid personality test, that's just the last straw, it's the whole damn thing.

I love that you can apply online to stores. It means I can multitask and save gas money by applying from home. Unfortunately, most of those places use the longest, most pain in the ass application process known to man, unicru. There are many things to despise about this wretched application process.

1. They discriminate against those who have no work history. Perhaps all jobs do, but instead of just asking do you have any work experience and having you give basic information about those jobs, they ask you again and again. In one part of the last one I filled out (probably an "upgraded" version of the application for specific job openings), they ask individual questions like "How many years of experience do you have in (specific job title)?" It's so discourging to those like myself who is only trying to get a first job.

2. If you have any military experience, any previous job experience, any charity or service, you basically have to fill out a seperate application explaining it in detail. It's not enough that the application takes nearly an hour without that stuff, but when ever I am asked about my volunteer work, I have to dig up all this information. It's a retail, minimum wage job for Christs Sake! Not the FBI!

3. The fact that they have to make everything a yes or no, multiple choice question. Instead of just asking if I recieved food stamps, it's have I recieved them in the last 5 months? Have I recieved them between 3-5 months? And since they have multiple parts to the application process, I sometimes have to give the same information 2 or 3 times, making the application take just that long. It's really telling when there is a saving code so if you want to take a break, you can quit, and enter the code later to continue where you left off (and why does there need to be a code AND a password for the code, isn't the code enough?)

4. The personality test at the end. After giving out all that information, you must answer the most assinine questions, that aren't even worded right half the time. "People do a lot of annoying things", "I don't mind following a lot of rules.", You've done your share of trouble making". Then having to choose strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree.

Yes, those with test takers anxiety, they are trick questions. Not only are they designed to make sure honest people never get hired, even those who BS there way through it will have trouble finding the appropriate answer. First of all, they don't want people who are luke warm about something, you either gotta "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree". Then you got questions like "You avoid arguements as much as possible". Oh, I avoid arguements as much as possible, well I do, but wait, what if a customer has a complaint, if I avoid arguement aren't I avoiding them? Just for shitz n gigglez, I showed this to my mom. We agreed it was best to BS, but when it came to questions like that, we argued over it! So no, I guess I don't avoid arguements as much as possible (which according to some answer key on the web, means I would have been in the wrong).

They also ask the same question twice, by using different wording. I guess that's another way to weed out the bsers.

Now that begs the question, if they are that concerned about people giving bogus answers, what kind of people do they want working for them? Well with questions like "You are always cheerful", "People do a lot of annoying things", "You've done your share of trouble making", "It bothers you when you have to follow a lot of rules", I can answer that question.

They want robots.

They don't want humans, because no honest human would answer the questions the way they want them to. Everyone gets annoyed once in a while, no one is always cheerful, and following a lot of rules is bothersome. It's what makes us human! What planet are those unicru folks living on to suggest otherwise?

If someone uses unicru to find good employees, they might as well either (a), pick names out of a hat at random (b), invest in a robot. Only a robot could be programmed to not only ace the test, but actually answer honestly. A robot would never get annoyed at following a bunch of rules, a robot would always have their emotions under control, they would never call in sick (though they might malfunction every now and then). They would be the perfect employees! Unlike us pesky humans who have actually needs!

*end rant*

Wait a minute. They ask you if you've ever been on food stamps?!? How the heck is that their business?

And I know what you mean about lengthy applications. I remember one for a local grocer that asked "Have you ever taken or do you currently use XYZ illegal drugs? A good third of the questions involved illegal drug use. I've never used drugs, but I suddenly realized I didn't want to work there.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Any test that you pass by lying is seriously, seriously flawed.

But honesty isn't the point of those personality tests. The point of those is to make the suits think they've got a magic formula to weed out all the bad eggs.

My company uses Unicru, at least on the in-store kiosk. I don't know if it makes you take a personality test right on the spot, but I do know the entire process is pretty damn lengthy.

When I got hired, there was no on-line application, just paper applications. And I wasn't given a personality test.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Alot of stores have gotten rid of the paper application process and rely solely on unicru kiosks. I will not name them. But unicru did start the online application/in store kiosk trend thus having OTHER stores make their own versions or go with someone else. I'd rather have the paper application.
        Just used to that, and was taught even with an application some form of resume is a good idea. That and it shows a person's hand writing which to me says I put the time and effort to write clearly instead of hurry through this based on the legible-ness of it.

Comment

Companies get tax breaks (I read it somewhere but can't remember where) if they hire people who are on welfare, food stamps or just released from prison. It is a way to help those get off the system so they ask those questions on the apps. I helped my man fill out online apps and everyone had the same type of questions. I then read an article about companies recieving tax breaks. I think it was on my states department of labor web site but I am not sure. Anyways, I have always wondered if those who are trying to get off the system or re-entering society from prison get first pick at the jobs because of the tax break. In other words, places like Wally's, Kmart and such will hire those people before someone who has not been on the system or in prison. If you go to WalMart.com and start to fill out the app, you will get questions about whether you or a family member are on or have been on food stamps in the past two years, whether you have recieved ADC (aid to dependent children) or whether you have released from prison. Pretty interesting.
          Last edited by jnd4rusty; 10-28-2009, 03:31 AM. Reason: The first time sounded weird after I re-read it, decided to try again and make it sound better!

Comment

We had the personality tests when we started at glitter hell. One of my former co-workers recently became a current co-worker again, she told me the online application process was long and stupid. It also included a test, but it was different than the paper one we had when I (and she was originally) was hired.

The one we had then was awesome. Asked you about 6 different ways if stealing was okay. "Everyone takes money from the register sometimes". Asked a bunch of different ways if it was okay to come to work stoned or drunk. Asked if you have issues with authority a half dozen times. It was great.

If you failed that test you were just...too dumb to work at Glitter Hell.

Because, even if you do think it's okay to come to work with a buzz--you're most likely not going to say "STRONGLY AGREE" to "coming to work after having a few is okay".

Heh.
            you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

what about "Customers would never steal"? What would be that answer? I've seen that question before.

Quoth rageaholic
              What planet are those unicru folks living on to suggest otherwise?
              I'm guessing Unicron Alpha?
              To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
              my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Quoth joe hx View Post
                what about "Customers would never steal"? What would be that answer? I've seen that question before.
                Well, since there is no "bullshit" reply..I'm not sure what I picked.
                you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  Wait a minute. They ask you if you've ever been on food stamps?!? How the heck is that their business?
                  I've had worse. I remember filling out retail applications (the old fashioned way, going from store to store) trying to get my first job out of high school. At Sears, I began to fill out the application, only at one point to stand up, very audibly tear the application in two, and walk out the door. I know things weren't very P.C. or equal rights back in 1970, but that was the only company I encountered to have a whole extra portion for women only to fill out, asking everything from pregnancy plans to how bad your cramps were during your period. Never have been very keen on that company since.

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

There are at least 2 cases that I know of, probably a lot more, coming before the supreme court of people challenging the legality of making applicants take a personality test. There are also several companies routinely asking questions as part of a personality test which are clearly unconstitutional, (sexual orientation, marital status, etc)

Please, no opinions about this. There's another place for fratching.

On the subject of personality tests: Back in highschool, a friend of mine was doing one and actually spent about 45 seconds pondering the question "Are you indecisive?"
                    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth LexiaFira View Post
                      Alot of stores have gotten rid of the paper application process and rely solely on unicru kiosks. I will not name them. But unicru did start the online application/in store kiosk trend thus having OTHER stores make their own versions or go with someone else. I'd rather have the paper application.
                      Just used to that, and was taught even with an application some form of resume is a good idea. That and it shows a person's hand writing which to me says I put the time and effort to write clearly instead of hurry through this based on the legible-ness of it.
                      IDK on the last part. I have really bad handwritting period, so I think it's a nice break to be able to give out my info online.

However, I have discovered that Unicru may not be the worst one after all. The worst application is the one target uses. Their personality questions make Unicru look sane. One of them was "The percentage of those who cheat on their income are". I'm not kidding. Plus, the overall application takes even LONGER than Unicru. They probably got the idea from them, but put their own spin on it.

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                      There are at least 2 cases that I know of, probably a lot more, coming before the supreme court of people challenging the legality of making applicants take a personality test. There are also several companies routinely asking questions as part of a personality test which are clearly unconstitutional, (sexual orientation, marital status, etc)

Please, no opinions about this. There's another place for fratching.

On the subject of personality tests: Back in highschool, a friend of mine was doing one and actually spent about 45 seconds pondering the question "Are you indecisive?"
                      Yeah, I'm considering posting this on fratching just in case this turns into a debate.

And LOL at your friend. I guess he or she found their answer afterall.
                      Last edited by Broomjockey; 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM. Reason: multi-quote.

Comment

Thank God all I had for my online application for my current job was to fill out the information sections. They had none of that personality stuff. But the background checks alone took about a month - they even had to ask what FPO AE was for an address (wife was in the navy - Fleet Post Office, Armed Forces Europe).

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
                          IDK on the last part. I have really bad handwritting period, so I think it's a nice break to be able to give out my info online.

However, I have discovered that Unicru may not be the worst one after all. The worst application is the one target uses. Their personality questions make Unicru look sane. One of them was "The percentage of those who cheat on their income are". I'm not kidding. Plus, the overall application takes even LONGER than Unicru. They probably got the idea from them, but put their own spin on it.
                          Ah...only took the target application once so I barely recall it. and yeah. Good point. Got so used to typing out my resume that at some point handwritten anything fell by the way side.
                          I guess I'm getting old, all this change is scary! I don't like it, back in mah day rabble rabble. lol

Comment

Ugh. I haven't filled out very many of those for myself (recently), but I help patrons fill them out several times a week. One of our hospitals seriously wants the soul of your first born child on their applications.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
                              And LOL at your friend. I guess he or she found their answer afterall.

Or did they........?
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                              X