This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owwie... I'm such a klutz

I elbowed the panini grill at work today. They benched me and sent me home early, after making sure I had ice and some burn cream stuff. If it still looks bad tomorrow I may have to come in and fill out an incident report.

Finally got to a mirror so I could check it out- wow, that's bigger than I thought it was. A little over two quarters long, one quarter wide. (For those not in the U.S., that's... let's see... about 6 by 2.5 cm.) Doesn't look too bad, so far as I can tell, just large and kinda owwies, even an hour and a half after it happened.

This, right here, is part of why I hate working in the cafe so much. Not the people, not really the customers. Largely just the many, many opportunities to hurt myself.

Err, an incident report should be filled out on the day of the accident. Bad idea waiting, especially if the injury is so severe they sent you home. Definitely fill out the report, even if you're feeling better. Not to be doom and gloom, but you won't know yet how it's going to heal, if it will get infected, etc. Protect yourself, just sayin'
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I can beat that....1 year ago I tripped over something on the floor at work, or maybe it was nothing, and when I put my left hand against a cubicle wall to try and prevent myself from falling I broke my upper left arm and paralyzed my arm with radial nerve damage. Worker's comp paid for everything thank god but I was debilitated for months. It's better now but I still have issues with my arm and hand aching and feeling weak.

I had to type at work one handed for a long time...that sucked.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Update- filled out the report today, and my manager called it in to workman's comp in case it gets infected, so I'll have a case number and everything ready. There are a couple spots starting to blister, so I'll try and keep them intact, as per doctor's orders. (Dr. Daddy, that is. Handy having a family member in the medical biz.)

telecom_goddess- Didn't know we were competing, but yes, you definitely have me beat. The pain and tenderness let me know there is no nerve damage. Glad you're better now, those kinds of things can be downright pernicious.

Comment

owie...i've gotten bleeding injuries from cardboard at work...no lie! cardboard is vicious!

Comment

Quoth 4love View Post
            Update- filled out the report today, and my manager called it in to workman's comp in case it gets infected, so I'll have a case number and everything ready. There are a couple spots starting to blister, so I'll try and keep them intact, as per doctor's orders. (Dr. Daddy, that is. Handy having a family member in the medical biz.)

telecom_goddess- Didn't know we were competing, but yes, you definitely have me beat. The pain and tenderness let me know there is no nerve damage. Glad you're better now, those kinds of things can be downright pernicious.
            No not competing but it was the anniversary of my arm break last Friday so it was on my mind

Comment

Quoth WhiteRose View Post
              no lie! cardboard is vicious!
              only when wounded-now petri dishes will attack without provocation.

as far as burns....I'm hoping my numerous(as in daily) autoclave burns eventually form some sort of pattern....I have a partial triangle and some zig-zags going right now.......
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Hope it gets better soon. Burns are a bugger and hurt like hell

Just for interest = Cold black tea is a fantastic natural remedy for burns. The tanon in it draws out the burn and helps it heal without scaring. If you cant submerge the area, soak a face washer or similar in it and hold it onto the burn.

I got severe steam burn on the back of my hand from cooking years ago. I soaked my hand in cold tea for a few hours and managed to escape scaring despite having 1st to 2nd degree burns. Doctors said I would have had bad scaring if not for the tea. (Note: cold tea *WILL* stain your clothes, I found out the hard way )
                "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

I never knew that about the tea....good tip

Comment

Thanks for the tip about the tea- I'll give that a shot. It's still very tender and painful, 4 days after the incident. This is quite possibly the worst injury I've ever done myself.

Which actually just means I've been pretty darn lucky, up to now.

Comment

I am partial to silvadene ointment. It is sulfa based so if you are allergic to any sulfa based meds it is not a good idea, but it is fantastic. I have had it shortcut from basic blister to the equivalent of several weeks, with the skin over the blister turned into a hard shell, no edema [liquid in the blister] and the pain pretty much gone in 2 days.
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        I am partial to silvadene ointment.

It's also prescription only-and usually only used for severe burns(2nd and third degree) as it does contain silver(Silver Sulfadiazine) and can cause Argyria
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          It's also prescription only-and usually only used for severe burns(2nd and third degree) as it does contain silver(Silver Sulfadiazine) and can cause Argyria
                          And it takes a hella lot for argeria ... and blisters are 2nd degree burns

I used to be a chef for a few years. Working on a hot line can cause lots of small annoying burns that need to be addressed right away so you can keep working. Especially on the hands and forearms. it is also great for treating the blisters from using a cutting torch and getting metal sprayed.

At one point in time my doc just scripted me the 250 gram tub so I wouldn't have to keep going in every time I got crisped around the edges.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                            And it takes a hella lot for argeria
                            for generalized yes, a whopping 4-5 grams-Scar-localized argyria may occur secondary to silver sulfadiazine cream

Comment

I don't know about silvadene and argeria- I got a chance to show Dad the burn this weekend and he didn't seem to think it would be necessary. The little spot-blisters had pretty much gone down again by that point, anyway, so I imagine it would've been a little late for the silvadene to have done much good.

I have tried the cold tea thing, and it's nice and soothing. I won't know if it's helping with scarring for a little while, though.

Talked with manager about whether I really belong in the cafe- this is the second time an elbow has met the grill, and I have the scar to show it. (Last time wasn't as bad, though.) Her response wasn't really reassuring. It used to be, new employees could choose, on their application/interview, where they'd like to be trained (mostly, bookseller or cafe). Now everyone's going to be cross-trained, like I chose to be when I signed up. On the one hand, that means I won't be called to cafe as often, but on the other, it is not any kind of promise that I won't be called up there again, ever.

As a side note, I have found someone to trade with on the next day I am assigned to work cafe- I'll be taking her cashiering shift, instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X