This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This isn't a self-checkout

A woman and an older lady came up with a huge cart o' stuff in the middle of a ridiculous rush. I was already a bit overwhelmed because I was feeling a bit dizzy. I decided I was not going to be pushed by others' busy-ness into overdoing it and was going a bit slower than usually. Admittedly, that's still pretty darn fast because I just am.

This woman was clearly in a hurry. She was pulling hangers off stuff before I could get to it when she went to toss another over to the side, I thought she was handing it to me and it was akward. I smiled at her because I wanted to smooth it out a bit. Well, I went on with scanning as best as I could.

It was then that I noticed another older lady pushing a flat. I was a sweet as I could be about it--again, don't want to make them feel bad--when I told her "Ma'am, we can't have you push that due to insurance reasons, but we'll get someone to help you right away." <big smile> The woman in front of me said, "That's mine too," and I said "Oh, I can go get the number off of it and we'll get someone to help you out." That was fine until the Service Desk girl was ringing it up because she didn't know what was going on. Then it was, "Am I supposed to pay over there, too??" We got it sorted out, but obviously she was stressed.

And then she got defensive. I hadn't gotten to wrapping her dishes in paper when she was wasting bags wrapping them, which I could let go, but instead I offered paper. Most customers want paper anyway. I said as helpfully as I could, "Oh, I have paper for those." It was met with "I was just trying to help." No, actually you have been trying to take control and push me faster the whole time. Because I didn't want a complaint I responded, "Thank you" with a smile again, and let her know there was paper if she wanted that.

I fully expected to get yelled at when she asked if she could pay at our store for the third piece of furniture she had on hold at the other store and I said no. She was so determined to get it all done in one transaction and get out of there, but honestly, it's the holidays. Nothing's going to be that easy.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably
Working...
X