This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    Growing up we had (have, it's still there) a wood stove. We didn't think anything of it, but after I was grown and in my 20s, someone offhandedly asked my mom how she child-proofed it when I was little. *silence* My parents didn't even think of it, lol! They did other stuff, like light sockets, and had a doggy gate at the top of the stairs, but nothing around the stove. The lady was horrified, and said that her kids would have been terribly burned. She then glared at my mom, like "how dare your child not want to touch the fire!"

[Snipped}
    I grew up with a open fire which heated the living room, and also heated the hot water for the radiator system.
    There was a fireguard, but it was more for stopping logs rolling out of the fire than preventing us from burning ourselves. I presume my parents just warned us/stopped us if we tried to touch it.

Although, the dog did almost start a fire once! My mum was doing the washing up, and noticed she could smell smoke - more than necessary. When she went into the living room, Dog had taken a piece of wood from the fire, and was sitting on his cushion chewing one end. The other end was an ember, and had burnt a hole in the cushion! Luckily, Mum took it away before there was more than a hole, so no real damage done.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      Growing up we had (have, it's still there) a wood stove. We didn't think anything of it, but after I was grown and in my 20s, someone offhandedly asked my mom how she child-proofed it when I was little. *silence* My parents didn't even think of it, lol! ... The lady was horrified, and said that her kids would have been terribly burned. She then glared at my mom, like "how dare your child not want to touch the fire!"
      Well, I'm guessing you were a kid before the movie Idiocracy started becoming a documentary, and her kids came along later to help the movie change genres.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Depends on the kid. Neither my sister or I are idiots, but if mom told her "don't touch" she didn't. I had to find out why for myself. I have few scars on my fingers and I'm lucky my hands still work. Some kids are just Like That.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
          Depends on the kid. Neither my sister or I are idiots, but if mom told her "don't touch" she didn't. I had to find out why for myself. I have few scars on my fingers and I'm lucky my hands still work. Some kids are just Like That.
          Exactly. My parents never thought about baby-proofing the stove because I must not have been interested in it. Or if I was, I listened and didn't touch. But the lady who brought this up to my mom was appalled by just the idea that the stove had been left unprotected. Seriously, it's not one size fits all with this stuff. I do think that if kids exist in a padded bubble their whole childhood... Well, that just can't end well.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
            Although, you know, I was thinking... it might partly be the times. When I was a kid, we didn't have anything but REAL FIRE! If you touched a fire you were going to get burned.

Now? We have TV's showing flaming logs, digital displays, all kinds of things that LOOK like fire but don't hurt. A little kid could be very confused by that.

Comment

Never thought about it that way. Just to add to my story of my childhood inability to heed the phrase "don't touch," my first word was "hot." Which I said after touching the stove. It was an electric one so it was insulated and I didn't get burned, but still shows you what kind of kid I was. I'm surprised my parents are still sane.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

This is the stove we had when I was a kid https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6d978faa73.jpg . That's just being to be touched! It's was on a raised platform that was gated when I was a toddler.
                But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                And it's not what I wanted to be
                The weight on me
                Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Working...
                X