This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas at the Dollar Admiral!

Haven't posted any crazy stories lately but I've saved some up. Sales were flat-lining for a while but have picked up again. As of 12/1, my store only hit $5000 in sales once and that was because of a snow panic. In the last 2 weeks, we've had THREE $5000 days! And today we did $4000, the first time that ever happened on a Sunday. So needless to say, December has been a good month so far. And with that, here's some crazy SC stories.

How dare you refuse to help me even though you don't work here!!!

This one is half 'sighting' and half 'SC'. This morning a mother and son come into the store to shop. They're BOTH wearing t-shirts and pajama bottoms. They do their shopping while I'm doing some stocking. I come up near the register and proceed to get yelled at by an old man because we had no 12 packs of Diet Coke. I asked him if he checked the BIG endcap of Coke we've had for MONTHS. He claims yes and there wasn't any. Then proceeds to storm out. I go over to look at the endcap and sure enough, tons of 12 packs of Diet Coke. The home was empty but the endcap had plenty. And the thing is, you walk RIGHT PAST THE ENDCAP to get to the home location.

Fast forward to when the mother and son come to check out. The mother then proceeded to tell me that her and her son got yelled at by the old man too. He stormed up to them and asked 'Do you work here? Where's the Diet Coke? Is there anymore in the back?'

I told the mother he does that every time he comes in the store, gets all pissy because the home location is empty and I have to continue to remind him of the BIG endcap of Coke products. Our store layout doesn't leave much room for Coke products in the home location so they're given a big endcap to help sell the stuff but it doesn't matter, most people walk right past the endcap and ignore it. I could tape $100 bills and top secret government documents to the items on my endcaps and by the end of the month they would all still be there.

Go get me a cart!

We have a limited supply of shopping carts but two cart corrals. One right inside the door and one right OUTSIDE the door. Well besides being crazy on Saturday, but every elderly person in the county was out because the weather was gorgeous. When that happens, our carts disappear fast.

Well, we're in busy streak where both myself and the cashier are running register and the inside corral is empty but there are four carts RIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR. Old lady waddles in and bitches that there are no carts. Meanwhile we're still trying to get everyone checked out. I inform her that there are carts right outside if you need one and she proceeds to tell me 'Then go get one'.

That infuriated me, she was not a frail elderly lady, she was still very able bodied. So I proceed to walk outside and then walk another 5 feet back inside with a card so she has something for her 3 greeting cards she bought.

Just gimme my damn store credit!!!

Lady comes in 5 bags of jumbled up lights and 6 empty boxes. She wants to return them because they don't work and she doesn't have her receipt. I ask her if she wants to exchange them and get some lights that work and we'll plug them in first to make sure they work. She then screams at me and the cashier 'NO this is the second time I've brought these back, just gimme a damn store credit!' So I process the return and she then turns around and uses the store credit to buy 7 packs of cigarettes instead of just getting the cigarettes as an exchange and it wouldn't count against me.

After she leaves, we try out the lights and sure enough, all of them work just fine, she just wanted her ciggies but didn't have no money.

But another store said you could return them!!

Lady comes in November 29th (a Sunday night at 7pm which is important later in the story), with a giant bag of Halloween items and wants to return them but doesn't have her receipt. I politely inform her that all the Halloween merchandise has been taken out of the inventory and now rings up for a penny so if she really wants to return them, she'd get back a whopping 20 cents.

Not the right thing to say I guess as she then barks at me that the lady at the store she bought them from said she could return it and she could get full price back. Once again I explain that since she doesn't have her receipt, she gets back what the register says the price is and currently it's a penny. There's a slight possibility that she can go back to the store she bought them from and maybe they can find the receipt in their system. So she storms out all huffy.

Now here's where it gets funny. An hour later we get a phone call from a gentleman claiming he's from corporate and that he's calling in regards to a complaint he received from the lady. Then proceeds to ask me what the return policy is on seasonal clearance. I told this supposed person from corporate that he should already know the return policy but I explain it to him just like I told the lady. He said he would call us back.

Uh huh. First off, there is NOBODY working in the corporate office at 8pm on a SUNDAY. Second, when a customer files a complaint, corporate directs it to my district manager to handle the situation. Nice try lady.

We're not a freaking Hallmark store!!

Old ladies love coming to our store because we have cheap greeting cards. But we get so many freaking bizarre questions for specific types of cards.

Do you have Happy (not a multiple of 5 age) Birthday/Anniversary cards?
    Do you have (insert holiday)/birthday cards? (for those with birthdays on the same day as the holiday)
    Do you have (special event) cards for twins?
    Do you have personalized cards?

And they're always butthurt when I them no we don't. Well you should! So then I always tell them if they have a complaint, to call the greeting card company because they rent the space from us and maintain it, we have nothing to do with the cards.

I need that in a sack

Here we go again! The little old ladies are going crazy with every purchase needing to be in a sack because it's raining/sunny/cloudy/windy outside. But the topper was the old lady the other day who needed her one greeting card in a sack because it was cold out.

I need a stiff drink!

Quoth drjonah View Post
    Do you have Happy (not a multiple of 5 age) Birthday/Anniversary cards?
    One of my paper route customers turned 100 this year so I figured I'd get her a generic birthday card. I was very surprised to find the grocery store actually had a "Happy 100" birthday card! Of course, I wouldn't have thrown a fit if they hadn't had any.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Pretending to be corporate is at least creative!
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

You mean least creative.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I always laugh at people that complain about our selection of cards. It takes up a whole aisle. Well, mostly since one side is mostly windows. And judging by the number of cards I sell on any giving Saturday, I guess we do okay for most people. If they can't find a card with what we have, that's on them. Go to an actual card store if you need something very specific.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
          X