This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive-Aggressive People

For some reason I'm encountering a number of passive-aggressive people recently. Here's a couple examples.

SC: Hey, I'm looking for a book in the library. Can I go get it?
    Me: Sorry, we're closed right now, due to the renovation our new opening hours are 2:30 to 10:00 on weekdays.
    SC: Look, I need this book and I know it's here somewhere.
    Me: And you can go get it at 2:30.
    SC: It doesn't say that on your website.
    Me: That's odd, I looked recently and the information was there.

*note* our website has had the new hours since before we started renovating. Know what has the old hours? Google and Yelp, and I think Google recently updated their information. It goes to show that people will believe whatever they see first that fits what they want rather than making sure whatever they're seeing is actually right.

SC: Well it's not. Look you can just go back there and grab the book.
    Me: Sorry, I need to stay here and man the desk.
    SC: Well is there anyone in the back who can get it for me.
    Me: No.
    SC: There's no one else here at all?
    Me: There are other people, but they all have work to do. Come back when we're open and you can get your book.

Cue SC to go off to a corner and sulk for five minutes alternating between staring at me check in books and trying to see if they can locate someone else to talk to.

Look, I'm sorry you can't get your book right now, but the concept of operating hours can't be too difficult to grasp. Come in when we're open and you can get your book; come in when we're closed and you get stonewalled. That's what they pay me to do. Like it or not, there it is.

Next:

New SC: Hey man, can I use your fax?
    Me: Sorry, we don't have one.
    SC: What?
    Me: We don't have a fax machine.
    SC, suddenly very snotty: What, you don't have a fax machine in the entire building?
    *Ok, we have not now, nor have we during the period I have worked here offered faxes to the public. We use email, since the only purpose I can think of for a fax would be if something needed a signature and that doesn't come up around here. However, now that I think about it there is a small copier in the back that does have a button on it saying fax, though I'm not sure if it's hooked up to a phone line or not. Still this is beside the point since even if it does work, there's no way we're gonna let you use it and thanks to the glare you're shooting me I'm now willing to tell you there's no such thing as a fax machine in the entire state of California.
    Me: No.

Seriously, going in circles and huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf isn't going to get you what you want. This is a public library, we only offer so many services and most of them involve books. Also, yes the new hours may be inconvenient for you, but if you are willing to either come in person or call during the hours we are actually open, there are things we can do to make it more accommodating for you. But trying to annoy your way to getting what you want just pisses me off and it definitely doesn't do you any favors.

of-course

There are tons of stores that offer fax services, only you have to pay to use them.

Comment

While I can understand having a book emergency, I wouldn't stand around and pout after being told "No". I'd just go home and cry myself to sleep.

OK, maybe I'm lying about that part. But seriously, if there is only one copy of a book in the entire state that you MUST have right now, you might need to call to check the hours before trusting the almighty google god.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
        While I can understand having a book emergency, I wouldn't stand around and pout after being told "No". I'd just go home and cry myself to sleep.

OK, maybe I'm lying about that part.
        At least crying yourself to sleep in the privacy of your own home isn't sucky since you're not taking it out on others.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Neither is crying yourself to sleep in the privacy of a hotel room.

Which I know our hoteliers wish many of their sucktomers would do. SLeeping (even crying) patrons are no problem at all. Unless they snore loudly enough to rattle the windows.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I don't really consider either of those "passive-aggressive". I'm not proud of it, but from time to time I've been known to exhibit passive-aggressive behavior, and I don't recall it ever manifesting in that manner. Unless you're referring to the "sullen behavior" that Wikipedia describes.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I hate those kind of people; seem to get them all the time. Like once when I reached the end of my day shift and there was a giant queue stretching out the door. I put my sign up, cashed out my till and left cuz, you know, I don't work for free. As I walked past the queue, I heard someone say in a whiny tone of voice, "Why doesn't she just stay and deal with the queue before she goes?" Would YOU like to stay behind after your quitting time and work for free, passive aggressive arsehole?
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Pagrek View Post
                SC, suddenly very snotty: What, you don't have a fax machine in the entire building?

"Well, it's not 1997 - so, no. We don't have a fax machine."

(I know a lot of places still use them - but I'm a snarky bitch)

Comment

Waiting

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                  But seriously, if there is only one copy of a book in the entire state that you MUST have right now, you might need to call to check the hours before trusting the almighty google god.
                  I once wanted to borrow a book from the Toronto library system of which there were only two English copies in the entire province of Ontario.

I had to wait a month to get the book, and since I did not live in Toronto I had to drive 50 kilometers to read it once they got the book. And since I was not a resident of Toronto I could not take the book out of the building. I took lots of notes.

That is what you do if you really need a certain book, not act like a six year old child.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                    There are tons of stores that offer fax services, only you have to pay to use them.
                    Exactly. I get the impression that he didn't want to have to PAY for anything.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                      Back when I worked for WD, some of our stores had a fax machine (the one I worked at at the time didn't) but if my manager had to have something faxed, he'd send me over to the drugstore on the other side of the shopping center to send it off.

I never minded that . . . it got me out of the store for a few minutes and I could either window shop while the fax was being sent (so I could go back and get it after work) or chat w/the cashiers up front.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                      X