This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ruined a Christmas

for the first time, but I don't feel good about it at all. This is kind of an oops/SC confession-type thing.

I was at service counter helping an older couple looking at the toy catalog and joking with them about kids. There was an unhappy-looking woman at the other end being helped by T, who was on the phone to corp. or someone. I told my customers about how my brother used to write down the toy, page #, price, etc. for my dad because he knew it by that time there was no Santa and we laughed about how he's smart and bratty.

I got done with them and then was on my way through the door to go to the photo dept to help someone else I'd been helping before when a woman appeared in the doorway. That freaked me out; I thought she was trying to come in or something. Turns out she was the end-of-counter lady and trying to be quiet and leaned in to tell me "My daughter was standing there [I never saw the kid] and heard you say there's no Santa. You just ruined the whole year." I apologized immediately because I felt bad about it and then couldn't do anything else because of the line that had formed. So I had to deal with all those people feeling like that.

And then I got a chance to think about it and here's just some stuff I need to say:

--I ruined her whole year? I don't think I'm that powerful.
    --A quote from my mom that sums up part of it: If parents are going to perpetuate a lie then they need to learn how to deal with the truth when it arises. That sounds harsh and I do sympathize with the child--it is painful to learn Santa isn't real--but one can't expect the whole world to corroborate your myth. As my supervisor said, "If she's in school, she's going to hear it there." People hold all kinds of beliefs that can be refuted by others. You have to expect that with so many people on earth.
    --She could very well have chosen to address that with the kid privately, saying any number of things to smooth it over, such as "Maybe someone told the lady that Santa's not coming and she believed it. Let's hope Santa brings her a present and she believes again, ok?"
    Did she have to make me feel bad for something totally unintentional? Do I have to go around all month looking for kids before I say anything?

So I'm left feeling guilty and angry that I feel guilty.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Okay, just my two cents, but don't feel bad! As you said, the kid will hear it somewhere, and it's pretty insane as a parent to think that the kid will never find out. I'm not a parent, so I don't know if most parents push Santa as being real or not. When I was little I had no idea other kids actually believed that Santa was real. It was always presented to me as a fun story. Like wearing Micky Mouse ears at Disneyland. You know he isn't real, but it's fun anyway. And as you also said, there are many things that some believe and others don't. You can't live without encountering different beliefs and opinions.

So I don't at all think it was fair for that woman to say that to you.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      <snip>
      Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute here...

You mean to tell me you ruined someone's Christmas -- in mid-November??

That's gotta be some kind of record.

BTW...you shouldn't feel bad. My kiddo is getting close to the age of "figuring it out". My wife and I aren't real sure how we're gonna handle that yet.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Didn't someone do it last January? Now that's a record!
        Last edited by Food Lady; 11-17-2015, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Turns out she was the end-of-counter lady and trying to be quiet and leaned in to tell me "My daughter was standing there [I never saw the kid] and heard you say there's no Santa. You just ruined the whole year."
          She's just using her daughter as an excuse. She still believed in Santa and you ruined it for her.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Is the kid believed a random stranger over her own mother, than she was already near the end of the santa years. You didn't do jack to her christmas. Actually, I'd like to know how old this kid was. If they are truly in the Santa years, they can be rebrainwashed.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              BTW...you shouldn't feel bad. My kiddo is getting close to the age of "figuring it out". My wife and I aren't real sure how we're gonna handle that yet.
              My folks fixed that: If Santa doesn't exist, then we get no presents from Santa. But if Santa DOES exist, we get presents from Santa.

Needless to say there's a firm belief in santa in the house.

Anyway- Don't worry about it too much ,a good parent can just adapt.

Comment

it's never too early to crush a child's spirit.

look, you're british, so scale it down a bit alright?
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGGeLHnDQk8

Comment

The one that needs to grow up in this situation is the mother. She is the one that wants her child ot believe there is a Santa.. and as such, she's going to have to figure out how to perpetuate that story all on her own. "Remember in Polar Express, how many adults couldn't hear Santa's bell. She must be one of them," works just fine.

If she's lucky, she won't have a really smart(assed) child who pretends to believe to see how long it takes Mommy to realize he doesn't any more... damn my oldest. (Of course, I never went to any great length in keeping Santa "alive". I was also the one that would tell kids that my husband hit one of Santa's reindeer when the kid would ask why there was a dent on the hood of his car. My oldest would back me up on it.)
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

My daughter (age 6) believes in Santa. She also believes in the Tooth Fairy, mermaids, sleight of hand magic (done very badly by yours truly), and Halloween monsters. If a stranger said "there's no Santa" she'd yell at them and say they were wrong. That's belief in Santa. As was said, if the kid simply overhears that conversation and reacts that way, the kid was nearly done believing in Santa anyway.

Comment

Everyone knows that Starbucks has ruined Christmas for everyone this year, so how could you possibly make it worse?

My kids had the outlook that it wasn't worth the risk to the Christmas toy haul to actually say they didn't believe in Santa, long past when they should have reasonably stopped. It's easier to shop now, tho, that they no longer believe.

But I still have them on the hook for the Tooth Fairy. They can't figure out how I can get a dollar bill into the envelope they put their tooth in without opening it, and I'll never tell.
                      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Cai1987 View Post
                        If a stranger said "there's no Santa" she'd yell at them and say they were wrong. That's belief in Santa.
                        That was one of my initial thoughts, but I forgot to put that down. I don't have kids, but that sounds familiar if I think about my childhood.

Thank you to all the parents being the voice of reason here. If I ruined that woman's Christmas she needs to build some character.

Comment

A news anchor said there was no Santa on the air. She later apologized.
                          This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth Cai1987 View Post
                            My daughter (age 6) believes in Santa. She also believes in the Tooth Fairy, mermaids, sleight of hand magic (done very badly by yours truly), and Halloween monsters. If a stranger said "there's no Santa" she'd yell at them and say they were wrong. That's belief in Santa. As was said, if the kid simply overhears that conversation and reacts that way, the kid was nearly done believing in Santa anyway.

WHADDYA MEAN THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS MERMAIDS!?

Comment

Wait, Santa's not real?

Seriously, though, I agree with the others that if the kid believes a stranger about Santa like that then they are close to or at the time when they realize something else is going on. I am a firm believer in the magic of Santa, I fully am aware that he doesn't exactly exist.

I was around seven or so when I was told Santa wasn't exactly real, I was more upset about the Tooth Fairy then Santa.
                              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X