This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An "interesting" day (long and ranty)

Ok so yesterday at the hotel was...interesting.

Issue the first: an older guest came up to the desk complaining that another guest had been on the treadmill for an hour and a half the previous morning and he "had to walk in the halls." Oh poor baby, you couldn't watch TV during your workout. You could workout the way I do by hiking to the bus and back every day. Or go to the gym a block away if your precious treadmill is so important (I guess using the elliptical never occurred to him...maybe there's a medical reason he can't, or maybe he just objects to mere mortals sharing his workout space). To be fair I am not sure he knew there was a gym (one that offers free day passes) that close. Going to call said gym today to see if we can get some fliers to keep at the desk.

Issue the Second: we were oversold by 10 rooms due to 10 rooms being out of order for tub replacements. Our construction guy had two crews working, and I think they finished in time for us not to have to walk anyone, because I haven't heard any moaning so far today, but that was stress I didn't need (though I do love being on days and not having to deal with the majority of the check-in craziness).

Issue the Third: checked today's survey responses and someone was complaining that the fireplace is "up too high" and "you can't sit by it." It is indeed high (up on a pedestal in the center of the lobby, where nobody can reach the "on" switch without a step ladder). It did in fact used to be at floor level, but idiot parents couldn't keep their offspring with them. Said offspring wanted to look at the pretty flames, put their hands on the glass, and we would hear a sizzling sound, immediately followed by screams and angry accusations of having a "dangerous lobby."

Issue the Forth: Some snow on the back side of the hotel fell off the roof and broke the back windshield on someone's car. By "broke" I don't mean "a little cracked." I mean "totally smashed in." I still don't know whose car it was, but that's what corporate insurance is for. The executive housekeeper said that happened last year, guess I should inform the new GM of that.

Issue the Fifth: GM comes to the desk shortly before I'm due to leave for the day, looking like he doesn't know whether to be mad or amused. Turns out he caught an older guy in business casual attire smoking pot in the stairwell. MJ is legal for recreational use in my state, but people still aren't supposed to smoke indoors (city law as well as hotel policy). Our lot is private properly, so I think it's OK for them to use the Wacky Tobaccy in the designated smoking area, though I will have to find out for sure (smoking MJ on the street or other public property is still technically illegal, but as long as you aren't causing problems, most cops just look the other way).

Bonus Issue: A "Do You Work Here". So after work I head to the local grocery store to pick up some onions and carrots for dinner (mmmm beef stew) and someone asks me if I'm employee. My shirt is the same color as theirs but otherwise there's NO similarity to their uniform. I snarled at the guy to leave me alone (sorry random dude) but I didn't say what I really wanted to, which was "I have my coat on and my wheelie with me: are you so stupid that you think <Grocery Store> would allow me to have those with me while working, or are you so self-centered that you see no problem demanding I work off the clock?"

And today's off to a running start: Quick question: if you go to the front desk of a hotel and nobody is there, do you A: read the "be right back" sign and wait a few minutes for the desk agent who is actually ON SHIFT to finish helping another guest, B: stand there yelling "hello? HELLO?" or C: walk behind the counter and into the back office and demand the person taking off her coat and changing into her work shoes come help you even though she's obviously not on the clock yet? Well the first guest I saw today chose both B and C. It's going to be a great day!
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 12-03-2015, 02:03 PM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I want to hear more stories about Issue the Third...

Maybe a sign that says something like "Do you think the fireplace is too high? Ask the Staff as to WHY this is..."

Comment

I'll have to ask a coworker for Issue the Third stories, I wasn't here before they changed it and that's what he said happened WAY too often.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
        I'll have to ask a coworker for Issue the Third stories, I wasn't here before they changed it and that's what he said happened WAY too often.
        Time for the hotel to play a new Christmas song:

"Kid's hands roasting on an open fire..."
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I have officially given up on there being ANY common sense at all. I know, seeing that I've been coming to this site since, what, 2010 I think? You'd think I know better. Must have been a little scrap of hope left somewhere.

But it's all gone now!!!!!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Issue the Forth: Some snow on the back side of the hotel fell off the roof and broke the back windshield on someone's car. By "broke" I don't mean "a little cracked." I mean "totally smashed in." I still don't know whose car it was, but that's what corporate insurance is for. The executive housekeeper said that happened last year, guess I should inform the new GM of that.
            This needs to be addressed NOW! My guess is that the property has metal roofing (notorious for shedding snow in large batches). The "powers that be" are lucky that it's only a smashed window - if somebody had been getting stuff into/out of their car, they could have been seriously injured (possibly killed) by the snow landing on them. The fact that it happened before shows that this is a known problem, which increases the legal exposure. From what you've described, if someone is injured/killed by falling snow, your employer is handing the lawyer his case on a silver platter. If I were in your shoes, I'd let the boss know that this is something that could wind up costing the company millions of dollars if it isn't fixed.

I've seen "teeth" that can be attached to a metal roof which will break up the clump of snow sliding off - these would result in an angry customer who got covered in loose snow, but not an injury/death which could cost your employer a LOT of money.

As to the fireplace issue, there is mention of a switch. My guess is that it's either a gas fireplace or a fake fireplace. If gas, it needs to be up high. If fake, why couldn't they merely disable the heater so that it looks nice but won't burn anyone? Also, if it had been gas initially, why move it rather than replacing it with a fake?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Don't worry Wolfie, the boss is on it. He's arranging to get it fixed, but I'll let him know about the "teeth" thing, they might be a more cost-effective solution. We've been through three GMs in a year and I'm guessing it got lost in the shuffle.

The fireplace is gas. I'm guessing they decided to move it rather than replacing it with one of the fake fires for one of two reasons. Either A: brand standard specifies that lobby fireplaces have to have real flames ("Brand Standard" is the magic phrase that makes things happen around here whether or not they make sense) or B: the gas line was already in place and just moving the fireplace was less expensive than installing an electrical line for a fake fireplace (there aren't any plugs in that part of the lobby so there isn't really anything they could tie into, and that's assuming the fake fire wouldn't need a 210 line, which a lot of them do).
              Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 12-04-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

We have a metal roof with the teeth things on there and they really do keep the snow from just falling down and hitting you in the head.

Comment

I suggusted it to the GM with a printout of what the teeth things look like and they may actually be going that route! The chief engineer even asked if knew anyone who could give them an estimate for doing it (I don't, but I'd imagine roofers in Denver know about them...it does snow here on a fairly regular basis).

To quote Zoidburg "Hooray I'm useful!"
                  Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 12-04-2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

PS: I LOVE the gas fireplace. The desk where I work is really close to the doors (I estimate less than 15 feet between me and them) and my part of the lobby gets uncomfortably cold (though not dangerous or anything) in the winter. The fireplace is not only providing nice ambiance, it's helping take off the chill.

Comment

Well, toddlers especially get away from parents SO easily and checking in requires some attention. So I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. I would only wonder if there was a nicer way to child-proof it... a fence? But then the complainer would complain about that too.

Comment

And today's off to a running start: Quick question: if you go to the front desk of a hotel and nobody is there, do you A: read the "be right back" sign and wait a few minutes for the desk agent who is actually ON SHIFT to finish helping another guest, B: stand there yelling "hello? HELLO?" or C: walk behind the counter and into the back office and demand the person taking off her coat and changing into her work shoes come help you even though she's obviously not on the clock yet? Well the first guest I saw today chose both B and C. It's going to be a great day!
                        Oh HELL no!

You come into an EMPLOYEES ONLY AREA and you WILL incur my wrath! I do NOT respond well to invasion of space.
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                          Well, toddlers especially get away from parents SO easily and checking in requires some attention. So I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. I would only wonder if there was a nicer way to child-proof it... a fence? But then the complainer would complain about that too.
                          I checked and the current fireplace actually has a nearly-invisible screen 2 inches from the glass. That provides some buffer room so nobody gets burned. The elevated fireplace does look more modern and is easier to clean around too, so maybe that's why they put it up there.

Comment

Growing up we had (have, it's still there) a wood stove. We didn't think anything of it, but after I was grown and in my 20s, someone offhandedly asked my mom how she child-proofed it when I was little. *silence* My parents didn't even think of it, lol! They did other stuff, like light sockets, and had a doggy gate at the top of the stairs, but nothing around the stove. The lady was horrified, and said that her kids would have been terribly burned. She then glared at my mom, like "how dare your child not want to touch the fire!"

That being said, it's probably good that it's up high, if nothing else it's less of a liability for your hotel. Snow guards are pretty common, I'm surprised they aren't already installed, if you are in a place with that much snow. They are common here, and we hardly get any snow to speak of. It might (might!) even lower the insurance rate.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

PS: I LOVE the gas fireplace. The desk where I work is really close to the doors (I estimate less than 15 feet between me and them) and my part of the lobby gets uncomfortably cold (though not dangerous or anything) in the winter. The fireplace is not only providing nice ambiance, it's helping take off the chill.
                              I have an electric one in my office that's also an entertainment center and it is great for those chilly days.

And if I don't want to use the heat but turn on the flames, I have a button on the front that allows me to do that. Great for those warm evenings where I want the ambience w/out the heat.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X