X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't yell at me!

Two separate incidents.

We have an English Language literacy program here at the library. If you don't speak English well, we can set you up with a tutor to help fix that. These tutors tend to be volunteers helping out on their own time though. Since we're remodeling and our ours have changed we set up different venues for those who don't have any other time free. Now the Literacy department hasn't exactly been stellar about making sure the tutors have some way to contact them in the off hours. So lady, I'm sorry the head of the department who usually hangs around here mornings is on vacation and didn't leave you a number to contact for questions. No that's a lie. I was sorry until you took the news poorly and then berated me for being useless. I am not a receptionist. I'm here to deal with patrons check in and check out needs. I don't the Literacy departments phone number. You want to talk to them? Come back when we're open. Someone will be there. Don't like that answer? Too bad, and now I have no sympathy for you. Goodbye.

To the gentleman from the afternoon. Yes the tables we set outside for people to sit at and use our WiFi during the hours we're closed can get dirty. They are outside after all and a variety of people do sit at them. I did hesitate for a bit to give you a paper towel because we have learned not to give out supplies of that kind to the public because they get used up and we don't really have much of a budget to replace them. Still I bent the rules for you and got you a towel. You threw it back in my face and yelled "what is this?!" at me even though that was SPECIFICALLY what you asked for. I don't even know what your deal is. My day is better now that you're gone.

To the bus driver who caught the tail end of the second incident and told me to "hang in there," thank you. I needed someone to acknowledge that I wasn't screwing up by the numbers and not realizing it today.

It's weird, I can normally go months without getting yelled at and now I got two in a day. Just in time to sour my mood for the weekend two. Maybe the stars fell into a misfortunate alignment or something. Ah, the joys of public service.

Quoth Pagrek View Post
    Still I bent the rules for you and got you a towel. You threw it back in my face and yelled "what is this?!" at me even though that was SPECIFICALLY what you asked for. I don't even know what your deal is. My day is better now that you're gone.
    SCspeak: Could you get me a towel?
    Translation: Get over here and clean this up right now, wage slave!

Dude was a jerk, let's hope he stays away. Kudos to the bus driver for the words of encouragement; no doubt he/she has had to deal with creeps like that guy, too.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Pagrek View Post
      You threw it back in my face and yelled "what is this?!" at me even though that was SPECIFICALLY what you asked for.
      "Sir, this is what we Library folks call a 'Towel'. It can be used for a variety of purposes, such as cleaning off a dirty table. I apologize for handing you such advanced technology without first asking if you are smart enough to use it."

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        "Sir, this is what we Library folks call a 'Towel'. It can be used for a variety of purposes, such as cleaning off a dirty table. I apologize for handing you such advanced technology without first asking if you are smart enough to use it."

It can also be jammed down your throat so the garbage truck driver can't hear you scream in protest as the dumpster out back, that you just happened to be tied up in, is unceremoniously tipped into his vehicle and neatly compacted for later burial in a landfill..... not that it would EVER happen
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Oh, I like your version better!
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble‐sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand‐to‐hand‐combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

(Somebody was going to post it.)

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              It can also be jammed down your throat so the garbage truck driver can't hear you scream in protest as the dumpster out back, that you just happened to be tied up in, is unceremoniously tipped into his vehicle and neatly compacted for later burial in a landfill..... not that it would EVER happen
              Absolutely LOVE this, must steal borrow it!

Comment

Working...
              X