This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tis the Season

I work for a cute little five and ten. The majority of our customers are sweet, kind, patient, and understand our limitations due to the time of the year.

Sorry, there are STRICT rules about this.

Being a small business with little leeway for challenged charges, we have an extremely strict policy for ID requirements with your unsigned credit cards. If you have a credit card that has not been signed and the transaction amount is over 25 dollars, you MUST have a valid photo ID or we cannot ring in your sale. Sorry but thems the breaks. You want to go out to your car to get it, that's fine, but you better be quick 'cause the huge line behind you tends to get antsy with an empty and unusable register right in front of them.

The other day I had a young woman hand me a card that clearly had the name "James" on it. I asked her if "we" had an ID for it. (I often use "we" to promote the idea of solidarity and camaraderie. It didn't work this time.) She flipped her lid. She said it was her fiance's card, she couldn't get her own bank account (my boyfriend has literally the lowest of the low credit score and he has one, what's her deal???) and this wasn't fair and she does this everywhere and nobody else gives her a problem and blah blah blah.

I had a woman who had simply signed her initials on the back of her card instead of her actual name. Incidentally, she had been the same woman who had yelled at my coworker because CW had told her in no uncertain terms that she could not use her own shopping bags to shop and needed to use the store's provided baskets. This was for loss prevention purposes and Sassy SC didn't want to hear any of it and accused CW of accusing her of being a thief. When I asked her for her ID for her card that only had her initials on it, her response was a snotty: "WELL THAT'S HOW I SIGN MY NAME!" Now, had this been the gas station, I could probably have gotten away with a witty little "And that's how anybody else could sign your name too" but I've been trying to be nicer now that I work for a tiny local business. Not having a corporate has been great for my attitude, to be honest. So I just ignored her and kept smiling.

"Is it always this busy?"

1. It's December.
    2. You're in one of the more famous of the old 5 and 10s which is essentially a knick knack store.
    3. It's Saturday.

Yes. I'd say this is pretty typical for all those things being in play. Sorry you only had to come in for a nut cracker but this is the way the cookie crumbles when it comes to Christmas in the Disneyland of Knick Knacks.

Pet Peeve

We have four rooms downstairs. 3 are for crafts and one is for housewares. I hate hate hate when people come upstairs, ask me where something is and when I say crafts they tell me that someone downstairs said that it might be upstairs. Okay. Did you talk to someone in CRAFTS or did you talk to someone in HOUSEWARES? Because housewares isn't gonna know that the very specific brand of tape you wanted is going to be in CRAFTS and not in OFFICE SUPPLIES. You probably didn't even tell them what kind of tape you wanted, you probably just said "tape" and they pointed up the stairs because they're busy and customers can't be arsed to actually say what they want the first time. So when I call down to Crafts for you and they say that yes, they do have that, I'll look like an idiot to my CWs and you can finally have proof that I'm not lying to you.

20 Questions

Most of my job talking to customers has been about asking the right questions. Customers will come up to me and literally say "I'm looking for uh...uh...uh..." and they make a hand motion. A vague, weird, totally unidentifiable hand motion. So I have to say things like:

"What is it used for?"
    "Is it a food item?"
    "What does it look like?"
    "Do you write with it?"
    "Does it go in the kitchen?"

Then they try to describe to me what it looks like and they say things like "It's round." or "You put a potato in it."

Rule number one when you want to ask an employee for something: Know what the thing is.

"Do you have a box for this?"

Okay. I get it. You bought something glass and breakable and it didn't have a box on it when you bought it. You want me to put it in a box, ideally the box it came in. However: You got that from the gift department (where, incidentally there are boxes under in the basement) and you're now checking out in the candy department. No. I don't have boxes. I don't even have enough room to turn around behind this counter. I don't have wrapping, I don't have tissue paper, and I most certainly do not have boxes. If you needed a box for it, you could have asked the lady in Gifts to get you a box and she could have marked the box with how much the darn thing was so I could ring it in. But as it is, you're now trapped her by 100 people trying to get candy and I don't have a phone back here to even call to see if I could get a box for you. This is called "planning" and you didn't do any of it when you picked up the breakable thing and brought it to literally the smallest and most out of the way counter in the entire store which, logically, doesn't have any room for packaging materials other than bags. Most of the things in the store do not come with boxes anyway as we would have to literally double our storage space in order to make room for the overstock, the online inventory, AND all the boxes.

Stop. Touching. My. Shit.

Okay. It's not my shit. It's the store's shit. But I will be flipping my shit if these kids who are old enough to know better don't stop ripping boxes open and taking the stuff out of them. Namely: We have old fashioned bike horns. If another kid rips open that stupid box and honks that bike horn with every step they take, I might have to rip some arms off. Same goes for the bike bell that someone (blessedly) broke the other day. All the pop guns are broken from people fussing with them. The kids sized brooms are all missing their tags and their protective plastic. There are bent and broken boxes of dominos. People step on dropped or abandoned toy cars, I found a bent cookie cutter the other day...one of the sock monkey hats was missing his button eye for a while... All of this just because people can't seem to keep their hands off of crap they don't actually want to buy.

Ahem. And last but not least:

STOP LETTING YOUR CHILDREN CHEW ON THINGS AND THEN PUT THEM BACK.

Quoth Gaki View Post
    I work for a cute little five and ten. The majority of our customers are sweet, kind, patient, and understand our limitations due to the time of the year. Sorry, there are STRICT rules about this. Being a small business with little leeway for challenged charges, we have an extremely strict policy for ID requirements with your unsigned credit cards. If you have a credit card that has not been signed and the transaction amount is over 25 dollars, you MUST have a valid photo ID or we cannot ring in your sale. Sorry but thems the breaks.

Unless things are different in the States, it's not just your store's policy - your merchant agreement with Visa/MC/Amex/etc. actually REQUIRES that you verify the identity of the customer. If the card is unsigned, you are required to have the customer provide ID, and sign the card. If not, you refuse the sale. Simple as that. So, Mr. or Mrs. Bitchy Customer, if you don't like it, don't pay by credit card next time.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post

"Is it always this busy?"

Most of my job talking to customers has been about asking the right questions. Customers will come up to me and literally say "I'm looking for uh...uh...uh..." and they make a hand motion. A vague, weird, totally unidentifiable hand motion.

Stop. Touching. My. Shit.

STOP LETTING YOUR CHILDREN CHEW ON THINGS AND THEN PUT THEM BACK.
      I can't stop quoting, because this is my life at the fabric store. Yes, we're busy. We're the only large fabric store for 30 minutes, we handle the population from our town (80k) and the population from City to the North (600k). Think about it.

I don't mind when a person doesn't know the name of the thing they want, but if they can't even describe it, they are sh*t out of luck. Saying "the thing you use for fabric" is less that worthless. We're both stupider for hearing it.

Retail just had a comic about boxes, I believe it was a basketball that the guy wanted a box for.

The last two, about touching and babies slobbering on stuff. Especially in the clearance section. Whhhhhhhyyyyy?! If I see one more remnant or no-sew fleece blanket kit ripped open, I will... Do something I can't say here. And I know I've told this before, but I once got fairly snippy with a lady who was letting her baby suck on some strung wooden beads. I told her that it was a bad idea because the string could easily break, and the baby could choke. The lady didn't seem to care, and I pretty much told her to give me the beads right now! I'm not watching your baby die because you're stupid. She didn't complain, that I heard.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        And I know I've told this before, but I once got fairly snippy with a lady who was letting her baby suck on some strung wooden beads. I told her that it was a bad idea because the string could easily break, and the baby could choke. The lady didn't seem to care, and I pretty much told her to give me the beads right now! I'm not watching your baby die because you're stupid. She didn't complain, that I heard.
        Next time tell her about all the other babies that have been sucking on the same beads.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Especially the ones that have $(INSERT_DISEASE_PARANOIA_OF_THE_WEEK).
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Same thing with bags, I expect. I just picked up a gift at Target. It came in a box. A large, square, unwieldy kind of box which didn't fit in the largest bag they had. So I very politely asked if they had some string or something that I could use to wrap around and create a sort of handle. One of the CSR's went and got a big trash bag, and the box fit in that. So I tied a knot in it and it worked well enough to get me to the buses and home.

No need to throw a fit. Funny how staying polite and pleasant gets you all kinds of help.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

On the bank/credit score issue:

Banks don't necessarily look at your credit score. What they're looking for is evidence you've misused a previous demand deposit account (checking/savings). The things that will get you denied are things like a recently charged off DDA (wether or not it's been paid off), a charged off DDA that's maybe not so recent but hasn't been paid off, a DDA that's been force closed by another bank for misuse (constantly writing back checks or overdrawing and taking too long to pay back the overdraft), or evidence of any sort of federal/state garnishment order that could make the bank's life difficult.
              Last edited by mathnerd; 12-08-2015, 04:19 AM. Reason: correct a typo
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Yes, my ex bounced a few checks, resulting in a negative balance, and then never took care of it. When she tried to get an account at another bank, they wouldn't let her.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                  If another kid rips open that stupid box and honks that bike horn with every step they take, I might have to rip some arms off. Same goes for the bike bell that someone (blessedly) broke the other day. All the pop guns are broken from people fussing with them. The kids sized brooms are all missing their tags and their protective plastic. There are bent and broken boxes of dominos. People step on dropped or abandoned toy cars, I found a bent cookie cutter the other day...one of the sock monkey hats was missing his button eye for a while... All of this just because people can't seem to keep their hands off of crap they don't actually want to buy.
                  Different merchandise, same results. So many items have to be damaged out every day because some ass had to mess with it. We've got these stupid Disney Princess caps with fake hair attached, and someone just had to unbraid all of the Elsa ones. Not to mention opening and tearing apart the no-sew blanket kits (as NAR mentioned), fabric remnants, Christmas decorations, scrapbooking items, the list goes on.

Mom always told me when I was little, "look with your eyes, not with your hands." Did nobody else's mother teach them that?!
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My guess with "I don't have a bank account" is "I am so stupid with money my SO doesn't let me" or "I had an overdrafted account didn't pay back." Hubby and I had the second happen after his car crash. Mostly our fault, we forgot about an autodraft and couldn't pay it back without his paycheck. Right now we have an account only because my parents are long-standing customers of Stagecoach Bank and were able to vouch for us.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                      Yes, my ex bounced a few checks, resulting in a negative balance, and then never took care of it. When she tried to get an account at another bank, they wouldn't let her.
                      There is a check service black list most banks subscribe too. If you get on that black list (usually fraud or large negative balances you abandon), you are persona non grata to the banks for several years. I had an uncle become a victim of identity theft, resulting a lot of work to get cleared up, and that was the one that took the longest to get cleared. Once you're on it, it is almost impossible to clear your name.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        On the bank/credit score issue:

Banks don't necessarily look at your credit score. What they're looking for is evidence you've misused a previous demand deposit account (checking/savings). The things that will get you denied are things like a recently charged off DDA (wether or not it's been paid off), a charged off DDA that's maybe not so recent but hasn't been paid off, a DDA that's been force closed by another bank for misuse (constantly writing back checks or overdrawing and taking too long to pay back the overdraft), or evidence of any sort of federal/state garnishment order that could make the bank's life difficult.
                        Ahhhh! I get it! I usually don't think about this stuff because for a poor millennial, I'm fairly "rich" so I never get overdrafts or large amounts of neglected debt. I've been fairly fortunate so I don't usually have to run around with my SO's debit card trying to make purchases at knick knack stores. Oh well. C'est la vie, I guess. Maybe it wasn't even her fault (although from her attitude, it probably was...)

Comment

One other thing to consider, is that they may not have a bank account because they know their balance will immediately be garnished for some form of debt, or child support, etc. I've known someone like that....
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                          X