Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which my jaw about hits the floor...

I've worked customer service jobs for most of the last ten years and I've spent nearly five of those in call centers. I've dealt with some bad customers, some REALLY bad customers. Rudeness does not faze me, neither does name calling. Newer reps are often amazed at how cool I can be while talking to a customer who is screaming, cussing and otherwise being a grade A douchebag. I've been to plenty of rodeos before. It takes a LOT to shock me....but last week it happened.

It started off normally. Guy had bought a phone a store, didn't like it and so he exchanged it. Now, a month later, he's still unhappy and wants to exchange it again. Oooh, sorry boss. Not possible. We've got a 14 day return period and even then we generally limit you to one exchange (we really try hard to make sure we get people to the right phone the FIRST time, exchanges do happen but I'd say in no more than 20 percent of cases).

So he starts screaming and shouting and huffing and raging because he can't change his phone. This is where I came in. I calm him down to a point and explain we do actually have a few options that will allow to change his phone. However, as soon as I mention the costs of those options he flies off the handle again, saying how dare we make him pay for a phone, he's on a limited income, blah blah blah. So we go around several times with me making it clear to him that he just can't get what he's looking for (a free exchange).

He's still furious but he starts alternating between raging and crying. We go around a few more times but he won't have it, then he starts in a long rant about all this crap going on in his life now he has problems with <red checkmark> on top of all that and he just wants a working phone etc, etc. I repeat I can get him a working phone, either by correcting any issue with the one he has or he can use of the previously mentioned replacement options.

Dude flies into a rage again (at this point my patience is getting dangerously low), still crying, still ranting and then breaks out with this: "I swear to god I'll kill myself if you don't give me what I want."

Wait....WHAT???

Then he said it again.

Oh no, oh HELL NO. I've dealt with suicidal people before and I've even been there myself. This is NOT something you say jokingly or as a threat or as a what the hell ever to try and get a manager to give you what you want.

He ended up saying it one more time before disconnecting. After that, I had to immediately call an internal security department and tell them exactly what had happened so they could send emergency services to this persons home.

This is a potentially HUGE liability issue, my company does NOT PLAY with stuff like that.

I swear this SC has some kind of unmedicated personality disorder or something. There was a part of him that definitely seemed unstable.

This is the first time since becoming a manager I've had to deal with something like this. I hope SC gets the help he needs.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Holy shit... I hope they get to him and he gets a mandatory 72 hour hold.

Comment

I hope he gets help because the bill for the dispatch is going to be his responsibility, probably. That costs more than a new phone.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Maybe he did get the help he needed. I was an unstable-as-all-hell bitch when my depression was at it's worst. I'd usually get "set off" on small things but would end up with some very real suicidal ideation as a result.

There was big stuff going on, major housing insecurity, exc, but those I couldn't "loose it" about because reasons. So when something small happened on top oft that, my system took it and said "OK, I'm going to fixate one this and pour all my unhappiness into it until it's worth thinking about offing myself over."

I can still tell I'm not managing my meds as well as I should when I start thinking about banging my head into something (literally not metaphorically) or otherwise causing myself harm over something someone said or some device not working right.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          I hope he gets help because the bill for the dispatch is going to be his responsibility, probably. That costs more than a new phone.
          Sadly it does, very much so. When the roommate went into the hospital by ambulance a couple of years ago, even after the insurance the bill still was OVER $1000. For a, at most, twenty minute ride.

I haven't had someone threaten to do something like that over something I'm not able to help them with, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

As a hotel clerk, I've had two threatened suicides and counting.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I hope he gets the help he needs - or a huge bill for all the drama he created...

Comment

"saying how dare we make him pay for a phone, he's on a limited income, "

I love customers who use this line... as if the poor CSR is Scrooge McDuck taking a break from swimming in piles of money to work a few shifts at a call center.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  how dare we make him pay for a phone, he's on a limited income
                  Fine, then get a prepaid plan This sounds like someone trying to scam freebies.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

RE: limited income. While I received food stamps I repeatedly got letters telling me that I qualified for a free cell phone. It is an inexpensive phone, with maybe 250 minutes. But you know what? If I wasn't on my parent's plan, I would have gotten that phone and been very grateful. Anyway, just thought I'd drop it in here that depending on his income and location (might vary by state) it's possible he could get a free phone with minutes.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      RE: limited income. While I received food stamps I repeatedly got letters telling me that I qualified for a free cell phone. It is an inexpensive phone, with maybe 250 minutes. But you know what? If I wasn't on my parent's plan, I would have gotten that phone and been very grateful. Anyway, just thought I'd drop it in here that depending on his income and location (might vary by state) it's possible he could get a free phone with minutes.
                      SC: "But...but...but I want an expensive phone for free! GIMME!!!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!!!!"

But seriously, I hope he does get the help he needs.
                      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                        Fine, then get a prepaid plan This sounds like someone trying to scam freebies.
                        Given Red Checkmark's exorbitant prepaid rates, he might be better off on postpaid.

'course, there's other providers for just that reason.
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I'd like to know who ISN'T on a limited income? Is there anyone on an unlimited income?
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                            Is there anyone on an unlimited income?
                            Santa, possibly?
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              I'd like to know who ISN'T on a limited income? Is there anyone on an unlimited income?
                              Anyone in Congress or the Executive Branch...

Comment

Working...
                              X