This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Customer isn't always right

Here's one for the bulletin board in the break room. As a bonus, book recommendations! (the links lead to reviews by the author of this article, but I'm pretty sure you all understand how to find a book using this newfangled Intartubz technology). I poked around a bit and didn't see it anywhere else, but this site moves fast; if I missed it and re-posted, my apologies.

Top 5 reasons why “The customer is Always Right” is wrong

---------------------------
    Personally, I would wish the author had backed up some of this stuff with actual numbers or studies, but I'm betting such things are rare. Anyway, I wish I could send this to every single management dupe from AMs on up to CEOs. I don't even have a job in CS anymore, but goddamn, I'm sick of some loudmouth SOB being scrambled to the front of the line and given free shit when polite little me is ignored until the SOB can be hustled out the door. Also, it galls me that the SOB gets all kinds of freebies - the costs of which are inevitably passed on the everyone else, thus I am subsidizing the SOB's asshattery. I seldom fail to point that out to a manager, not that it ever does any good. Logic break manager brain, durrrrrr (with apologies to any managers reading this. If you're here, this gratuitous insult is not aimed at you).
    Last edited by MadMike; 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM. Reason: Please don't copy text from other sites. Links only.
    Love and time, those are the only two things in all of the world and in all of life that cannot be bought, but only spent. from Aztec, by Gary Jennings (R.I.P.)

Personally, I would wish the author had backed up some of this stuff with actual numbers or studies, but I'm betting such things are rare. Anyway, I wish I could send this to every single management dupe from AMs on up to CEOs. I don't even have a job in CS anymore, but goddamn, I'm sick of some loudmouth SOB being scrambled to the front of the line and given free shit when polite little me is ignored until the SOB can be hustled out the door. Also, it galls me that the SOB gets all kinds of freebies - the costs of which are inevitably passed on the everyone else, thus I am subsidizing the SOB's asshattery. I seldom fail to point that out to a manager, not that it ever does any good. Logic break manager brain, durrrrrr (with apologies to any managers reading this. If you're here, this gratuitous insult is not aimed at you).
    And the management dupes would just throw this article in the trash. Can't have the peons getting all uppity and thinking they're entitled to being treated like human beings and expecting respect, you know. That's heresy.

It's a rather lucky thing that there are even a few people in management who get it.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

:wiping away a tear:

Wonderful.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Top 5 reasons "the customer is always right" is wrong

http://positivesharing.com/2008/03/t...ight-is-wrong/

EXCELLENT article!
        My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Just because a customers happens to buy something or pay for services from said business doesn't give them the right to be abusive to the staff members. GREAT article, that should be sent to ALL members of management!
          Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 03-20-2008, 01:35 AM.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Not to mention the idiots who do breakfast radio around here. Actual quote:

"So I was on the phone while I ordered coffee, and the coffee girl glared at me. Is that rude?"
            "No you're not rude for being on the phone."
            "No I mean is she rude for glaring?"
            "Yes. After all, the customer is always right."

If I'd been able to (what with being at work at the time) I'd have phoned them up and done one of the following when they put me on air:

-pretend to talk to somebody else in the room about how I've called up the radio station to tell them it actually is rude to talk on the phone and to somebody else in real life at the same time
            -demand that they play nothing but Wesley Willis because as their listener, I'm their customer and they just said that I'm always right.

Comment

I'm surprised someone hasn't used 'The customer is always right' as a justification for commiting some horrible crime, with all the ridiculous requests that come about because of that saying.

Also, did anyone see those articles about other business maxims that need to go?

Comment

IF the customer is always right then why is nothing as cheap as I want it? Everything a penny, because if I wan't paying for it I wouldn't be a customer would I?

ludo ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                X