X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Will NOT End Well...

http://consumerist.com/2014/05/22/fr...-middle-seats/

"Imagine you go to the theater to catch a movie you’ve been waiting to see. You get there early and snag a seat in the middle of the theater; no having to tilt your head back because you’re too close, or having to watch the whole movie at a strange angle because you’re set off to one side. But just as the previews are about to start, some latecomer with an usher in tow tells you to get up and find another seat because he paid a $3 surcharge and you didn’t."

Keep reading where it says they may not be able to enforce this because it "would disrupt those around them."

Anybody else think this is a spectacularly stupid idea?

I see some theaters going bust...
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Yea, I can see that going over well. Not. Cue screaming tantrums probably the very FIRST time this happens in a theater, and probably every patron in that theater demanding refunds because of the disruption.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I would do my best to fart loudly on the seat just before getting out of it for the surcharge moron.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

So I get to theatre early to stake out a prime seat, get kicked out of my seat with a minute left before the show starts by a surcharge customer, then I have to sit in whatever seat is left, ie the worst seat?

No, that makes great sense, no problems coming here at all!
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

um no, just no. I'll sit where I like in the theater as for moving for someone with a reserved seat well they will need to get an usher because I can't read their ticket in the dark.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

The sticky part of the proposition is obviously allowing the premium seats to be used on a general admission basis until/unless a premium payer comes along. What's the cut-off time? As we all know, about the only thing holding the EWs in check from arriving as late as they want is the fact that they know they'll get crap seats. With this, no problem; they'll arrive as the feature starts and plop themselves down in prime territory. What if there are multiples? Is the usher going to move OTHER people around so my wife and I can sit together after we get booted and only single seats are left? I'm not going to watch a movie by myself after coughing up for two tickets. For that matter, who decides on who gets the boot? The EW or the usher?

I'd love it if an entire audience got up en masse and trooped out to the lobby for refunds the first few times the feature got interrupted for this asshattery.
              Last edited by Dave1982; 05-26-2014, 03:34 PM. Reason: We do not suggest vandalism

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                um no, just no. I'll sit where I like in the theater as for moving for someone with a reserved seat well they will need to get an usher because I can't read their ticket in the dark.
                Exactly! I got there early and picked my seat. It's _mine_! You want me out? I doubt you can afford it; $3 won't cut it!

I see this as spectacular fail that quickly dies the death it deserves...

Comment

Our theatre used to assign seats, now they do rush seating and GOOD LUCK trying to get people to move. My store goes to the movies every couple of months and there are 50 or so of us so we all sit together in 3 rows. Sucks if you come in late and want us to move. Not gonna happen.
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Someone definitely did not think this one through.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Either assigned seating or not, this will not work.

Comment

actually I just realized something, they are paying extra for a middle seat not a specific seat meaning that let's say there's 30 prime seats all full and 25 of those paid the fee the usher now has to go through all 30 people to find one of the 5.
                        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

So what if all the middle seats are full, and THEN someone buys a premium ticket? Who decides who gets booted out of their seat?
                          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

<checks calendar>... Nope, it's not April 1st... Although spring did arrive late, so maybe April Fools Day was delayed as well?
                            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                              So what if all the middle seats are full, and THEN someone buys a premium ticket? Who decides who gets booted out of their seat?
                              And then add the premium ticket customer showing up _during_ the movie. Can you imagine the carnage that will unfold? I see lots of people demanding refunds!

Comment

Working...
                              X