This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot game developers

Had to get my PhrootFone replaced (battery had swollen), and of the 5 games I play on a regular basis, I have deleted 2 of them because they don't "play nice" with Game Center. How do they misbehave? You can't restore your status through Game Center - if you hadn't registered it for login through Facebook (I don't have a Facebook account, so this isn't an option for me), you wind up starting a brand new game. Since there's no guarantee that I won't need to replace my phone again, I'm not wasting time starting again from scratch.

The offenders:
    - Jurassic World
    - Forge of Empires

Both of these also fall into the "mandatory update" trap - many times, they'd introduce an update which demanded it be downloaded RIGHT NOW in order to continue playing. Jurassic World was especially ugly in this regard since its updates were too big to download over cellular - had to use WiFi (which I don't have at home). The right way to handle it is to send a warning (both games have a means for the developer to send alerts in-game) that as of date X users will need to have updated to the new version in order to continue playing - give people a chance to PLAN when to update (i.e. if they need to get to somewhere with WiFi).

The games I kept:
    - Plants vs. Zombies (didn't have to do anything)
    - Clash of Clans (had to pick from 2 buttons, "start new game" and "retrieve old village", forgot my "turn off background music" setting so I had to re-select it - both trivial issues)
    - Boom Beach (same issues as Clash, not surprising since they're from the same developer)

Why do some developers make their games not "play nice" with Game Center? It's frustrating to lose a well-developed village/park due to replacing a phone.
    Last edited by wolfie; 10-03-2016, 01:26 AM. Reason: Added more material
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.
Working...
X