Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, at my store it's not the emo kids we have to worry about. It's all the junior-high kids.

One of the junior highs in town is about 6 blocks down the street from my store. There's a railroad yard in between the school and the store, but it usually isn't busy. The kids just walk on over whenever they have a half day.

The mayhem these kids pull off is unbelievable. They run around knocking things off shelves. They try on clothes and walk around with the clothes still on, so LP doesn't know if they're going to try to steal them. They steal stuff. They congregate in the mall aisles and make it nearly impossible for the customers who are there to actually buy things to get through. They take the wheelchairs and the motorized carts and go tearing around (well, actually, with our motorized carts you can't go tearing around. ). They hang around by the front doors and harrass people coming in to shop.

It is so bad that when the public schools have a half day, the time from 11 am to 2 pm or so will be a blackout period. Nobody can take breaks or lunches during this time because they have to be on the floor keeping an eye on these dumb kids. A lot of times we end up calling the cops to disperse the kids because they're just there to cause trouble and not there to buy anything.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      It is so bad that when the public schools have a half day, the time from 11 am to 2 pm or so will be a blackout period. Nobody can take breaks or lunches during this time because they have to be on the floor keeping an eye on these dumb kids. A lot of times we end up calling the cops to disperse the kids because they're just there to cause trouble and not there to buy anything.
      Has your mall considered an age limit?

Comment

No, not that I know of. And even if they did, it wouldn't apply to my store. My store is not a tenant of the mall, it is owned by the company.

Which means the decision on imposing an age limit would have to be approved by corporate, and it would most likely go over like the proverbial fart in church.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I worked a few emo shows but the worse was Fallout Boy. It was during the springbreak meaning the place would be full of junior high kids and high school kids. The doors opened at 6:00, but there people already there at 2:00. This was a lot of people that we had to block off on part so they wouldn't cause a traffic jam. Add that up with the local alternative radio booth 20 feet away from me and I get one massive headache and a nasty temper. We had some new people that day and when they saw the crowd the look on their face was priceless.
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I don't see why the fact that these kids were "EMO" is relevent. Who cares how they dress? They were kids being kids.....and that means acting stupid! They should not have messed up the beds or thrown a pillow! That was wrong.

And, I dress a bit emo-metalish.....lots of black, sometimes baggy jeans, sometines flares...t-shirts, tight shirts with a weird print.....big soled shoes, skate shoes...lovely tattoos (no tight jeans or goth though)....so I don't think it is stupid to dress like that. At least it wasn't a bunch of 15 year old girls with their boobs hanging out.

I am not an "EMO" kid though, not really into the music...more metal...or the "original emo" like Jimmy Eat World is good (yes, that band and metal are waaayyy different).
            Last edited by WHShit; 09-24-2006, 01:41 AM.
            "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Quoth WHShit View Post
              I don't see why the fact that these kids were "EMO" is relevent. Who cares how they dress? They were kids being kids.....and that means acting stupid!
              If you are trying to say that i'm perhaps stereotyping all emo's as being badly behaved, then you just stereotyped all kids as acting stupid, which isn't always true...
              I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
              another time, this world would fade away
              To find true love, is like no other joy,
              our choice is here
              be happy for today

Comment

Quoth WHShit View Post
                I don't see why the fact that these kids were "EMO" is relevent. Who cares how they dress? They were kids being kids.....and that means acting stupid! They should not have messed up the beds or thrown a pillow! That was wrong.

And, I dress a bit emo-metalish.....lots of black, sometimes baggy jeans, sometines flares...t-shirts, tight shirts with a weird print.....big soled shoes, skate shoes...lovely tattoos (no tight jeans or goth though)....so I don't think it is stupid to dress like that. At least it wasn't a bunch of 15 year old girls with their boobs hanging out.

I am not an "EMO" kid though, not really into the music...more metal...or the "original emo" like Jimmy Eat World is good (yes, that band and metal are waaayyy different).
                Yuo sound pretty similar to me...

I have spiky hair, band t-shirts and baggy black jeans, bu this new EMO youth subculture in the UK is a bit silly tbh...

But like I've said before, if you feel the need to venture into the UK the emo's wont usually give you bother, but the dickheads in tracksuits will...

Comment

Well I guess I'll put in my here. It appears to me that these EMO, Chavs, and Wiggers could immensely benefit from a good old-fashioned beating. From part of what I read here, read in the news and see else where on the interweb I'm very thankful my kids haven't turned out to such folks. I guess I'll claim the title of "Old Foggy In Chief" because this homey don't play that.
                  Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

I think there are better ways of dealing with the problem IMO What areas is having the most problems with these groups of kids?

Comment

I've heard that some councils are getting good results playing classical music in areas where kids used to congregate, puts them off the area.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/cri...icle756011.ece
                      Last edited by scruff; 12-05-2006, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I've been advocating a bit of Wagner as a chav deterrent for years. It works wonders, because chavs hate anything that isn't instantly understandable and shallow. Anything complex and that needs a bit of thought makes them run a mile.

The kids who are emos this year will be something else next year. However, they'll probably be just as annoying. I do like this, though;

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23450322/
                        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                        - Dave Barry

Comment

Um - I've heard chavs speak (or seen them make gestures and grunt) and 'understandable' is not something I'd apply to their ... unique style.

Rapscallion

Comment

'Emo is of similar property to bleach-it sucks the life out of everything around it before self-terminating.'

Sums it up pretty good.
                            Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post
                              I've heard that some councils are getting good results playing classical music in areas where kids used to congregate, puts them off the area.

That always makes me giggle. I mean, haven't they seen 'A Clockwork Orange'? That's what sets them off!

Damn it, now I have the Emo Song in my head! I'm an emo kid, non-conforming as can be, you'd be non-conforming too if you looked just like me... *shoots self*
                              Still, I shouldn't complain - I have dyed black, spiky hair with a side-fringe. Strictly speaking, I should now counter that with 'But it's OK! I'm not emo!', but I won't, because the hair is beyond reproach. Go go J-rock hair!

But if I ever start wearing skinny-leg jeans and Cons instead of arse-kicking boots, I want you to feed me slowly into the woodchipper, OK?
                              God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post

than you have gangs of private school kids in there blazers and boater hats congregating to talk about stock prices and how "it's impossable to get good help these days".

this reminds me of this from bash.org:

<TripleRach> Hmm classical music isn't good for it at all
                                <MiraiMatt> No classical does not blast
                                <TripleRach> I can't like open my windows and yell at my neighbors "HOW BOUT SOME BEETHOVEN MOTHERF***RS"
                                The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

Working...
                                X