This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't know zombies needed groceries

1) A couple comes through my line. The woman is in front of the cart and the man is behind it. She starts unloading some stuff and he is unloading stuff. I start ringing them out. She is standing there watching the monitor.

Suddenly ...

Woman: "Oh, wait, that's HIS order!"

Me: "Um, are these two separate orders?"

Woman: "Oh yes, I'm sorry."

Man: "Oh, she should've told you."

Well, certainly ONE of you should've mentioned it at the start. I get a lot of separate orders and they are not a problem ... except in cases like this.

I had to void out four items to get them off her bill and onto his. And it wasn't until after she'd paid that it was discovered there were two cases of bottled water on the cart ... I'd seen only one and (surprise!) typed in the code for that before I started doing anything else. But they were both his.

I presume they managed to sort out their respective cash flows afterwards.

2) Another couple coming through my line. They have quite the cartload. I start ringing and bagging. She is standing in front of the cart and he is behind it. The bags start piling up at the end of the counter ...

This is usually the point where customers wake the fuck up, move the cart to the end of the counter, and start putting the bags in the cart. Not this pair. She stood there staring at the monitor and he just ... stood there. Luckily I ran out of bagged groceries before I ran out of room.

I understand that people want to keep an eye on the prices so they don't get overcharged for something, but FFS ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

My partner and I often share a cart like the first couple. But we always use a divider or physically separate our orders to try to avoid that sort of confusion.

But for him to blame her for not telling you when he was right there, too, that's just... ugh.

The Wally World we usually go to has these nice U-shaped self checkout areas with 2 tills each. It's really nice. We park the cart in the middle so we can each pull out our items, scan them, and bag them on the outside. We're only using reusable bags at places that have self-checkouts, so we leave the bags in the baby seat until we need them, then pull them over to the bagging area. It's the least stressful part of grocery shopping right now.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

I have to admit that I've fallen in love with places that let you shop with a little handheld scanner and bag as you shop -- only Kroger does that around here. One of their reusable bag types is an expandable one that fits across the widest part of a full-size grocery cart and has multiple sections. Comes in quite handy.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        I have to admit that I've fallen in love with places that let you shop with a little handheld scanner and bag as you shop -- only Kroger does that around here.
        Fry's (owned by Kroger) shut theirs down when the virus stuff started. But before that we'd just bring in a plastic tub to put the groceries in. Sure it'd be heavy, but it worked.

For bags, I like using Ikea's big blue bags. I can put a LOT of the lightweight boxes and whatnot in one of those things.

Comment

I hate that first one. Mostly because when we void things it goes against our performance record and it can result in losing a pay raise. They don’t even give you an option of why you voided something just a voided must be cashier error then.

The second one is just errrgh. I usually fill up a few bags and if by then you can tell they’re too busy looking at the screen to put their bags in the cart I simply stop ringing things through once it gets to the point I can’t fit a bag easily. They usually wake up after that and clear the spot pretty quick. Did have someone whine that we should come out of the till around the side to where the belt was and put the bag in. I’m like “no, you have to bring your cart to the end and load it up. We aren’t allowed to walk around anyway as it’s a ‘safety issue’ because of heavy lifting and repetition”. Same with people who leave their hand baskets at the wrong end of the till (like have you ever shopped at a grocery store before). Simply claim it’s a tripping hazard and put it where it belongs. The three second delay ensures they never do it again.
          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

In some stores I've been in, there really isn't a clear, obvious place for the handbasket. My solution? Ask the cashier where he/she wants it.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

The "Boutique Grocery" where I once worked (my first "real job") had these odd, high shopping carts which were designed to work with these odd cashier stands -- I may draw a picture later when I'm not so tired -- Basically, the cart was only about 6 or 8 inches deep, but the top was still at the usual level; it still had the rack on the bottom for large items. The cash stands were split into two parts, and no conveyor belt. You would wheel the cart up to the stand and push it thru the gap so the cashier could grab the front end; they would then lower a gate on the front and and just pass everything over the scanner directly from the cart without having to bend over. It actually worked out pretty well.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X