This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're learning ???

A while ago, I had a task I wasn't able to do. The client wanted us to move a "400 lb" safe (Link). Long story short, I don't know what the actual weight of this safe was, but this guy who regularly moves cabinets listed at 500 lbs could not budge this thing, so I had to call it off, and we had to return with the proper safe jacks to move something of this weight.

So here we are, heading back there to move another safe. But what's this on my workorder? Do my eyes deceive me? No, it's a festivus miracle!!! I am being sent to the mover's supply to pick up some rental safe jacks. Praise the Gord!

So I get those picked up and we head to the site. We head straight to the safe to get that out of the way while we're still fresh. I am now able to see this "safe". It turns out that it's just a standard filing cabinet with a dial lock on it. It's only moderately heavier than the ones we move all the time.

Me: Oh, allright. Well thank you for ordering the safe jacks, it's always better to be safe than sorry, but just to let you know, this isn't a safe.
    SC: Yes it is, look at the dial on the front.
    Me: Yeah, I don't know what they're called, I've head them called "dasco's" but they are pretty much the same as regular cabinets, just a bit heavier for the lock mechanism.
    SC: No, this is a safe
    Me: Okay, no problem

So we load it up with our standard equipment and move on to the next tasks.

I'm happy that she erred on the side of caution this time around, but I'm worried that because of this, next time we're going to be there to move something "just like they did last time" and it's going to wind up being a walk in vault. We'll see what the future holds for me.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."
Working...
X