This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 issue

Because my old laptop was too old and too sluggish for my liking anymore, I went out and bought a new Hewlett-Packard laptop last night. It runs Windows 8.

Twice now I've shut down and restarted the computer, only to get a black screen with a moveable cursor after the login page. No desktop.

Screensaver works when I close the lid and I can enter my password again, but then it goes back to the black screen.

I really like this machine but am scared to shut it down or restart it. Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Brand new machine, I'd return it if I were you.

Comment

Okay, why do you suggest that? I have it working now, it seems to work coming out of sleep or hibernation, or out of a restart.

Returning it would require at least a half hour trip out of town.

Comment

Well -- you paid for a fully-functional machine. If it doesn't boot up to the Desktop without you having to tweak it, it's messed up, and it may be an indication of deeper issues, such as a defective hard drive or other parts. Better to nip it in the bud now, before you fill it up with your programs, music, documents, etc.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Am wiping it clean now, and will return it later. I think the graphics driver was creating another issue.

Probably will not end up buying a different one. I dug out my old laptop and deleted some programs and made some other changes to make it run noticeably faster.
          Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 01-23-2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X