This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Drive Problems

So, I'm having an issue with my DVD drive, and wondered if anyone knew any fixes.

Earlier tonight, the eject button on the drive stopped working. When I push the button, I see a disc next to my cursor for a moment, but the drive won't open or read discs. I tried rebooting, holding down the button during startup and using the Windows menu to eject, with no change.

I believe there should be a "emergency" manual ejection hole you can stick a paper clip sized wire into and physically pull the drawer open. It should be somewhere on the front of the drive.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
      I believe there should be a "emergency" manual ejection hole you can stick a paper clip sized wire into and physically pull the drawer open. It should be somewhere on the front of the drive.
      There is, and I did that, but that's sort of a secondary issue compared to making the drive behave by itself again. I'd like to not have to replace the drive ...

Comment

open up your computer and check the cables and connections - try a different IDE/SATA cable/port on the motherboard, and if possible, a different power cable from the PSU

if those fail, the drive might be dead

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
          try a different IDE/SATA cable/port on the motherboard,
          Remember that if all your ports are in use, so that switching to a different port involves swapping ports with another drive, your drive letters will change.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
          X