This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Again!

So my doctor talked me into trying a neti pot in hopes of flushing out a low grade persistant sinus infection that's been irritating the back of the throat.

Let me put it this way: I spent the entire self treatment (single packet) yelling "DON'T LIKE! I DON'T LIKE IT!" and generally having a bit of a sensory overload. I had to recover in a ball in the shower. (Ain't autism fun? -.-)

24 hours later, and I STILL can taste and smell the salts. >.<

How in the ever living heck do people find this kinda thing SOOTHING?!

PS: It kinda worked. as long as my head is sorta tipped forward, no irritation in the back of the throat. But the salt is much stronger. -.- NEVER AGAIN.

I use something similar, only mine is a squeeze bottle made for the same purpose. I buy the prepackage salts (they have a buffer in them to help prevent the burning sensation). I actually haven't had to use mine in 2+ years after getting my sinuses under control. The biggest hurdle for me was getting over that feeling like I was going to drown the first time or two I tried it. If you will hang over a sink, and keep your mouth open while you allow the fluid to flow in, it gets easy and you will eventually feel better.

Comment

I love my netti pot, but it's definitely not for everyone. If you don't get the salinity (salt to water ratio) right it can definitely be uncomfortable. For me it works better if the water is warm. I'm dealing with allergies and sinus yuck myself, so I just might go use mine.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I use NeilMed. I don't like it, but when the sinuses go full berserk, it is the lesser of the two evils.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I use the squeeze bottle too, and it has been a Godsend when I've gotten bad colds or sinus infections. It took a little getting used to and learning the correct way to tip my head, but after I figured it out, it was a snap. Its also been a great help during allergy season.
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I use the NielMed too. It's like hitting your head on the wall - it feels SO GOOD when you stop. That said, it does help my sinuses, and with all the smoke in the air from the NorCal fires, (beautiful sunsets, anyone?!) my head is not happy at all. Throat hurts too. So, sinus rinse in on the menu, as much as I despise doing it.

Comment

Another fan of neti pots, using the premix packets and I keep a teakettle in the bathroom, fill it first thing in the morning and set it to boil, make tea. By the time it is body temp the chlorine is vaped off and it has had all the possible little microbes simmered out. It does have to be the right temp and salinity, or it does feel annoying. I have even gotten bags of saline and used those in a pinch [and believe me, it looks odd effectively shoving the non-needled end of a cannula up your nose and squirting. I was in hospital and had seriously dry sinuses and wanted relief so the nurse gave me a bag and turned me loose =) ]
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I use the NeilMed too instead of the neti pot when my sinuses get really messed up. It's so much better, imho especially since everything is already measured.

Fill up bottle to this line, microwave for this long (or until it is a warm temperature that you can stand), add in packet, shake, and it's perfect temp and salinity. I typically just tilt my head forward and to the side over a sink and make sure my mouth is open while I squeeze.

I do actually find it soothing, and the relief is amazing for something that isn't medicated.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Ah, here's a subject that I am WELL acquainted with. We're practically family. I used to get 6 or 7 sinus infections a year, to the point where my last CT scan showed *calloused* sinuses. Nothing else, just thickness. And it was agony. I took so many antibiotics that I worried about resistance. Then my favorite ENT doctor gave me guaifenisen, before it was over-the-counter. Great stuff. You might know it as 'Mucinex', but trust me, go to Amazon.com and get Guai-Aid. It's a lot cheaper. 600 mg pills, max dose is 4 pills a day. It's not toxic after that, but it's ineffective, so why waste the money, right?
                  And hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink lots of water, or tea, or whatever you drink (except alcohol, that just dehydrates you more). I find that as long as I hydrate well and keep the guaifenisen nearby, I haven't had a sinus infection in 15 years.
                  I hope this helps. I know all too well the misery of sinus problems, and mine are gone!

Note: I tried both the neti pot AND NeilMed. Neither of them worked as well as guaifenisen and water.
                  Last edited by ladyjaneinmd; 09-06-2017, 11:32 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Working...
                  X