This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOU must be deaf (not really)

had this gem last night. this happened about midnight. I find the house and knock. No answer. wait a minute then knock again but harder.. Still no answer.

Call the number on the ticket. It rings then someone answers. I go through my usual script ie. Did someone from this number order? Please verifiy the address. OK I am standing right outside.

Then this line:

I hear a thump on the inside wall right next to the door where I knocked fairly hard. Customer opens the door OH I did not hear you knock.

Ya right you were right next to the door.

and I got stiffed
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

My first thought, cynic that I am, was that they were waiting (giggling) to see how long you would stand there and knock on the door, before giving up and going back and thus enabling them to call your place of business with a proper air of righteous outrage: "We've been waiting FOREVER and nobody showed up!!!"
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      My first thought, cynic that I am, was that they were waiting (giggling) to see how long you would stand there and knock on the door, before giving up and going back and thus enabling them to call your place of business with a proper air of righteous outrage: "We've been waiting FOREVER and nobody showed up!!!"
      It has become standard practice among my store's drivers to follow this routine.

1. Ring doorbell (if there is a doorbell). no answer knock

2. If still no answer knock again louder (not to point of cop knocking though)

3. if no answer call the phone number on the ticket.
      3a. IF the phone number is NOT in service, call the store and inform the MOD of the situation and return to the store.
      3a. if the customer answers, and is at home exit these steps.
      3b. If no answer and voice mail (or lack thereof meaning voicemail is NOT set up or voicemail is FULL) leave a quick voicemail message
      3c. if no immediate response to the voice mail text a message to the phone number informing the customer that this is a red roof delivery driver and they need to come outside to pick up their order.

4. wait for 2 maybe 3 minutes for a response. If no response, call the store and inform the MOD of the situation and return to the store with the order.

One of the reasons I go through all of these steps is EVERYTHING is time/date stamped and IF I get to the MOD first they will likely side with ME.
      Last edited by Racket_Man; 10-15-2018, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Sounds a bit aggravating, but it's a process that guarantees you've got your CYA in order, with the store if not with some of the customers.

When my mom was still alive and we'd order in (usually pizza) we'd wait until an estimated 10 minutes before the expected delivery time and then start hanging around the living room window, clutching the money.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I used to carry a 6-cell Maglight in the car for two reasons. First, it's nice to have a REALLY GOOD (and heavy) LIGHT in some of the sketchy areas where someone might be lurking with less than benign intent. Second, when I know there's someone in there, and the party/movie/orgy/wtf is too loud for them to hear my poor knuckles screaming... Let's just say that I didn't have to knock for very long with that thing. Not quite a 'cop knock', but for sure, beyond a doubt, there's something at the door. (Hey, I'm not making any money standing here bruising my knuckles. Pay up, tip or not, and let me get on with my deliveries)

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
            It has become standard practice among my store's drivers to follow this routine.

*snip*

One of the reasons I go through all of these steps is EVERYTHING is time/date stamped and IF I get to the MOD first they will likely side with ME.
            A couple of the package delivery services have taken to getting a picture of the front door when they "attempt delivery". Course last time they ninja'd it the pic llooked like they were swinging the camera and taking random pictures of the ground. Good idea that fails in the implementation.
            Last edited by EricKei; 10-17-2018, 02:05 AM. Reason: trimmed huge quote
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
              I used to carry a 6-cell Maglight in the car for two reasons. First, it's nice to have a REALLY GOOD (and heavy) LIGHT in some of the sketchy areas where someone might be lurking with less than benign intent. Second, when I know there's someone in there, and the party/movie/orgy/wtf is too loud for them to hear my poor knuckles screaming... Let's just say that I didn't have to knock for very long with that thing. Not quite a 'cop knock', but for sure, beyond a doubt, there's something at the door. (Hey, I'm not making any money standing here bruising my knuckles. Pay up, tip or not, and let me get on with my deliveries)
              I also carry a 4 cell Mag light for that very reason (Hey it is NOT a weapon but hey big long aircraft aluminum tube with heavy batteries is nice to have on my person for such occasions) BUT I am very hesitant to use it as a "door knocker" for one reason -- damage to the door. I usually give the customer two or three knocks or door bell rings (plus phone call and text message) before I give up and leave

Comment

The pizza guys from my preferred place usually honk the horn when they show up, then come and knock on the door. I like that method because since I'm expecting the delivery, it lets me know to go check out front. Sometimes it's just one of the idiot neighbors, but at least I do go and check. That way I can get to the door before the pizza guy walks all the way up the driveway.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I used to live in an apartment where our home office was clear in the back and was actually a good 35 feet from the front door. If someone knocked on the door I'd yell, "Coming!" so as to show that someone was on their way, because I usually had to step over cats to get to the door. Once when I did this, I heard, "Glad to hear it!" from outside the door. Turned out to be our local mailman with a registered letter for Turtleguy, who fortunately was home so he could sign for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X