Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sickbay

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 PM
Resident dyheli wrangler...

Right now, as per my pharmacist, I'm taking one pill a day and that's with breakfast at 8:30. Once I've been doing that for a week, my pharmacist said to add the second one each day 12 hours from the first and that I should make sure I have a snack with it.

I've also got three 1L water bottles - one for work, one for home, and one that gets filled and goes with me whenever I'm out of the house. The last thing I want is to get dehydrated! I don't drink the entire bottle in one go, but it's always there if I need it.

I'm learning what foods are better for me, slowly but surely. And I don't plan on denying myself my favourites but I will keep those treats in moderation. I'm sure that in time I'll get better at this whole meal planning thing and remembering to actually bring a lunch with me to work so I'm not stuck buying from Subway on a daily basis.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:38 AM
Et tu, Pixie?

Oof. Yeah -- Aside from an all-veggie sub with NO dressings/oil/etc on it, there's precious little at Subway either of us (or most anyone) should be eating on a regular basis Give it time. In a few months this will all be routine.
"I don’t know what English did to you or your family, but I cannot in good conscience sit here and watch you do this to it. You sir, are a monster." ~ Gravekeeper

"Don't weep for the stupid; you'll be crying all day!" - Fr. Anderson, Hellsing Ultimate: Abridged
"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you any further." – anon

Old 05-30-2017, 04:12 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post

Metformin seems to be quite the 'cleanser', something I was warned about by my pharmacist.
If it's any consolation, your system will almost certainly get used to it over time. This from somebody who had exactly the same reaction to it when she started taking it. I ended up breaking the pills in half and taking half-pill doses, and had no problem with that. Lately I've gotten fed up with it and started taking unbroken pills ... no problem.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:27 AM
Et tu, Pixie?

I can't blame you for splitting them in half anyway -- those damn things are big enough to choke a horse >_<
"I don’t know what English did to you or your family, but I cannot in good conscience sit here and watch you do this to it. You sir, are a monster." ~ Gravekeeper

"Don't weep for the stupid; you'll be crying all day!" - Fr. Anderson, Hellsing Ultimate: Abridged
"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you any further." – anon

Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
...and all the suggestions are rolling out of the woodwork! Many of them are incredibly useful, but some of them? Yeah, not so much.
yup. exactly why this entire topic is banned for people around me. Unless they want me to react extremely hostilely don't discuss my weight, my blood sugar, my diet or anything. My mom wouldn't stop telling people and didn't understand the issue. Said no to a free cookie at a store because I didn't want in and for some reason she felt the need to jump in and tell them I'm diabetic. How about you butt out?

Forget it was here or Fratching but I made a thread complaining about the unsolicited advice and of course people had to hop in and offer their advice because any excuse to police someone's health and make themselves feel smart.....

Now I take metformin, I got used to it, the first month and a half was a living hell. anecdote: I learned that for me certain foods when I was taking metformin would give me the ability to render rooms uninhabitable with gas. I miss eating oatmeal sometimes.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Et tu, Pixie?

A new superpower! ^_^

As for the advice -- Unless it was in Life Advice, that's a no-no. Should it happen again, please report the thread and we'll take care of it (PS. Sickbay is NOT a medical advice forum, either. It's for medical workers). That goes for everyone, of course.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Resident dyheli wrangler...

I'm really grateful that I've got a number of folks around me who are really supportive and understanding. Of course there will always be that negative nelly who tries to bring a person down, but I'll handle it with my usual grace and aplomb - ignore the heck out of them, block them on social media if necessary, and carry on carrying on. When it comes to my health I'm pretty much an open book - I've got no problem talking about it, and tend to be more than a bit of an advocate when it comes to educating folks on things that impact my life or the life of my loved ones Of course there is a good chance that behind closed doors I'll be swearing my head off over the stupidity of some people, but that's just normal

Old 06-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Et tu, Pixie?

^_^

Yeah, I've got one of those "Neg Nelly"types among my family members. I'd catch hell from everyone else if I unfriended her, so I just unFollowed her (an elder Aunt, which makes her sacrosanct, apparently ). While she's gotten better and less caustic in recent years, her preferred way of offering unsolicited advice was to pooh-pooh whatever one was doing (e.g. eat less and get more exercise), insult her target for ever thinking such things might work, and then...advise them to do the things she just disregarded (e.g. eat less and get more exercise). 'Cuz, you see, if you're doing them because the advice comes from HER, it's a wise and legitimate solution. If not...not so much. Naturally, she, herself, is immune to criticism of any kind, including calling her out on her shit. Love her to death, but I don't think we'd live long in the same household.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Insomniac with Cable TV

*snicker* I know I have mentioned it here before, but my last job, everybody knew I was diabetic and it was my birthday so they had one lady make me a cake - she used dry splenda in the batter, but the lovely chocolate ganache between the layers and as frosting was lovingly made of diabetic chocolate and was the *best* laxative the department had ever eaten <ROTFLMAO> Thank god we had plenty of available bathrooms ... at least they were trying to be helpful =)

I have pegged 5.8-5.9 quarterly for the past 5 years ... but I still check my feet daily, and get my routine podiatrist checks [and mammograms, and colonoscopies, and whatever other routine checks my insurance will pay for.]

I never discount genetics - I drive my cardiologist insane, they *still* can't find a reason for my malignant hypertension [unmedicated I ping at 210/190] because I have a textbook perfect echo, everything physical checks out perfect, and I have great labs ... while my doc is an exercise nut vegetarian marathon runner and HE has to be on statins <evil grin> while I eat [in moderation] milk, butter, eggs, whole cream, steak .....*burp* I still do about 2/3 of my actual food consumption is fresh fruits and veggies [the recommended 8-10 servings per day] and I do whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, and real meats not convenience foods in proportion. I like high percentage dark chocolate, red wines [my current favorite is a nice sangria] and am scrupulous about my medications and testing.

Been type 2 since it started out gestational in 1980 ... when I weighed 125 pounds at 5'7" tall.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Et tu, Pixie?

Gratz! My A1C was in the 7's when I was first diagnosed (~4 years ago...? 5? ) --- Now down to 6.1~6.2 --- Blood pressure read at north of 150/130 even at a complete, near-snoozing rest without meds at the time; these days I'm just on the high side of normal (around 110~115/85~90) with meds.

My DB is likely a combo of family history combined with self-inflicted. Been slooowly improving my diet over time...and I finally found a place I can afford to swim (no public pools...or public transportation, for that matter, in my town), so I've been doing PT-ish exercises there for a year. Down a small number of pounds and one belt size So...baby steps.

Closed Thread