This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took a dying man's car today

I shook a dying man's hand and repossessed his car today. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Last week, I got a call from the man's wife, who explained that he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and given three months to live. He was starting hospice that day. They were trying to simplify their finances so she didn't have to worry about it as his health declined. So they wanted to give back the car securing their loan with us.

After some discussion with them, and then with our Senior Loan Officer, we agreed to let them voluntarily surrender the car. I tried to convince her to try to sell the car - if there was a family member or friend they could rely on to sell it, she wouldn't even have to deal with it herself - because the value of the car is more than enough to pay off the loan, so they'd have about $1500 left over. And she said that money was a concern - she didn't want to make any more monthly payments on the loan.

But we relented, and they drove the car down this morning and signed the car over to the bank. I, of course, expressed my condolences and tried to be as sympathetic as possible. I shook each of their hands in front of the bank before they drove away together.

Just by coincidence, the board of directors held their annual board meeting in our state today. A dozen old white men invaded our branch around 11:00 this morning, after the couple left. They had all heard about the vehicle and the situation surrounding it, so they wanted to see it. (Most of them would have visited our branch anyway.) Our old Branch Manager drove it back to the main branch because they already had a buyer - someone they work with frequently on repossessions.

One of the nice things to come out of that is the chairman of the board promised to give any excess funds from the sale to the couple.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

That sucks all around. One question, though...

Quoth Ghel View Post
    One of the nice things to come out of that is the chairman of the board promised to give any excess funds from the sale to the couple.
    I thought that was a legal requirement or something. Like, the bank can only keep what they're owed, anything extra goes to the person it was repo'd from.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

No, any extra from the sale of repossessed property is a profit to the bank, though that may vary from state to state. OTOH, if the sale wasn't enough to pay the balance of the loan plus costs of sale, the borrower would be liable for the deficiency. That is unlikely to be an issue in this case, though.
      Last edited by Ghel; 08-27-2018, 06:57 PM.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

That's a tough situation, Ghel, but you obviously did what you could to make them aware of options.

I do hope that any excess funds go back to them. Regardless of legalities, it would be a nice thing to do.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Agreed, Ghel. You made the best of this situation....come to think of it this is another example of bad options and worse options.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
          X