Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several/many years ago, a Los Angeles news crew following some panhandlers who sited themselves at (as best I can remember) some freeway off ramp, regularly. They were NOT homeless, they had a really nice car they parked at a local gas station, and they were pulling in some serious money. So yeah, some panhandlers are 'honest' people down on their luck, but I have a feeling most of them are a) scam artists, or b) really mentally ill.

Comment

But, you know, the one going to buy a beer for your money is probably genuine .
      I won't go so far as to recommend that as a test. Still, that's something to remember. Next time you may give him a sandwich instead of (beer)money.

Comment

Had someone ask me for a cigarette. I said I don't smoke. Then they more or less demanded that I buy them cigarettes. I refused and told them I'm not buying cigarettes for anyone. When I said this I was called a b*tch. Oh, well, but that's my rule and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
          Next time you may give him a sandwich instead of (beer)money.
          When the dough nut chain on which America runs, has their instant win promos, I typically get more food coupons than Mrs TGK & I can use. I give panhandlers the extras. You won't believe (or maybe you will ) how many times, I've been called a major orifice. One way to pick out the phonies out for booze and drug money.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I get hit up once or twice a month for $50 by the same panhandler. Her shpiel always starts, "Dad, ..."
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
              You won't believe (or maybe you will ) how many times, I've been called a major orifice. One way to pick out the phonies out for booze and drug money.
              I'm afraid I will believe almost any percentage, well, up to 99% or so .
              My point was that the alcoholic who use every dime for beer, is probably genuinely homeless and in need. If he says no to help, he won't need the offer next time.

Comment

Thanks guys, I felt bad at the time; not so much now. Come to find out he's been doing this at other stores and got aggressive with a customer at one point.

Comment

We have been having issues with beggars at my workplace for a while now, so upper management eventually tired of it and put up signs saying that people found begging will be trespassed and/or prosecuted. Doesn't stop them from panhandling in the carpark though. We have signs out there but whenever we call the cops on someone that has been trespassed, they have usually taken off with whatever loose change they have conned out of the people in drive-thru. Sometimes I get lucky and if someone approaches the car at the speaker, I can say "Please do not humor the panhandlers, they know that they are not permitted to beg - by the way, the police are on their way." They usually sprint off.

With regards to people that approach me when I'm out and about, if I'm not in a rush, I'll offer to buy them a sandwich or something at one of the local shops. If they refuse and request money, I simply respond "Food or nothing. I've been burned too many times to lose my hard earned money to someone blowing it on cheap hooch when I can spend it myself on QUALITY booze."
                  Violets are blue,
                  Roses are red,
                  I bequeath to thee...
                  A boot to the head >_>

Comment

People who are truly homeless need a little bit more than food, it costs money for personal care items, it costs money to shower at the truck stop, it cost money to do laundry. 45 years ago I had to work temp jobs all across the country to get home to my parents' house after some bad decisions left me standing by the side of the road on the west coast. No one is going to hire someone who smells even for one day. So just because someone turns down food does not mean they are after booze or cigarettes.

Comment

Quoth judecat View Post
                      People who are truly homeless need a little bit more than food, it costs money for personal care items, it costs money to shower at the truck stop, it cost money to do laundry. 45 years ago I had to work temp jobs all across the country to get home to my parents' house after some bad decisions left me standing by the side of the road on the west coast. No one is going to hire someone who smells even for one day. So just because someone turns down food does not mean they are after booze or cigarettes.
                      I am well aware of that. But this guy literally got money from a customer, and then came inside and bought beer and cigarettes.

Comment

Good discussion overall, guys, but we've had to remove a couple posts that straddled the Fratching line. Please either take such talk to fratching.com, or simply drop it, so we don't have to lock the thread. Thank you.

We now return you to your scheduled discussion, already in progress.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

EricKei, your picture is amazingly appropriate when politely reminding people of the rules!
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

GK - Thank you ^_^

Image courtesy of Pixie and Brutus / Instagram: @petfoolery )

Full-size: see below
                            Attached Files
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              ...Image courtesy of Pixie and Brutus / Instagram: @petfoolery
                              I dunno. The expression to me says, "I just sat on something horrible* and I don't want anyone to know!"

* a porcupine, perhaps
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Go check out the comic. He has resting grump face (the character is a retired military service dog). That's pretty close to his default expression.

Comment

Working...
                                X