Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our local panhandlers always sit on the street corners with thir giant beer coolers and beg from traffic.

I've actually been "targeted" in a parking lot because I have *random religeous symbol* in my car and that means I HAVE to give anyone money who asks for it. Yeah not when your teenage son is going "Leave her alone mom, jeez!" the whole time.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
      I've actually been "targeted" in a parking lot because I have *random religeous symbol* in my car and that means I HAVE to give anyone money who asks for it.
      Like hell. NO ONE is entitled to your money.
      I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Yeah that's pretty much what I told her. Along with "God helps those who help themselves."
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
          I had the same person hit me up on 2 different days, same parking lot, same 'car out of gas' story. I just told her she'd already tried that on me the day before, and walked away.
          I had some guy try that 4 different times with me. On the fifth day I told a guy at work about it. He said: "Oh I know that guy. That's what he does for a living. He makes a minimum of around $70 a day."

There is also a guy that walks/limps up and down the street around here, with a large cardboard sign front and back "Need work. Have kids to feed. God bless." Someone I know offered to hire him for a few days to help him rake leaves, stack firewood, do yardwork, etc. His offer was declined on the grounds of he can't do that kind of work, due to his bum leg. Donations are welcomed, though.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
            Our local panhandlers always sit on the street corners with thir giant beer coolers and beg from traffic.
            We don't get too many panhandlers out in the 'burbs. If we do, they're usually at the entrances to shopping centers, but always with crude cardboard signs. They don't last long though--property owners don't tolerate that sort of thing, and tend to call the cops. Downtown, it's a different story. There aren't as many panhandlers as in years past, but they're usually around the courthouse, or around the corner from Mellon. Occasionally, they're even near the entrance to the Liberty tubes (tunnels)...on the suburban side. Still technically part of the city...but far enough away, that it takes the cops awhile to get there.

I've actually been "targeted" in a parking lot because I have *random religeous symbol* in my car and that means I HAVE to give anyone money who asks for it. Yeah not when your teenage son is going "Leave her alone mom, jeez!" the whole time.
            I had one give me a hard time...because I was driving the MG. He actually got upset when I said that I didn't have any money on me. Just because I have a nice car...doesn't mean that my wallet is always full of cash. It's actually *rare* that I have more than a few dollars. For me, it's easier (and safer) to not carry much cash.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I never give away any money to anyone, especially if they say they need it for bus fare back to another town, I'm always thinking in my head "if you got the bus here, not my fault you didn't plan for getting back."

I've only ever made one exception to that, and that was two 15 year old girls, in winter, at about 8 at night so really dark, asking for 50p to get home miles away, on consideration, the fact that it wasn't a full amount, and the fact that they were young and vulnerable (without the fare they'd have had to walk home) made me give the 50p to them, because afterall, whats 50p compared to the safety of two young girls. Thankfully they headed straight to the bus station.
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                they're usually at the entrances to shopping centers, but always with crude cardboard signs. They don't last long though--property owners don't tolerate that sort of thing, and tend to call the cops.
                I wish they did around here! There are always several panhandlers hanging out at the parking lot exits of the local VoldeMart. Every freeway offramp, too. Have had a few outside the fabric shop, but our management shoos them away.

Fortunately, the panhandlers here just stand there and hold signs. The ones back in my old hometown were very aggressive. Imagine being a woman with a small child and having three big guys coming at you with their hands out! Yes, that happened to me!
                Last edited by XCashier; 03-17-2012, 01:01 AM.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
                  I had the same person hit me up on 2 different days, same parking lot, same 'car out of gas' story.
                  Very similar thing happened to me, except the guy claimed to be a wounded war veteran. At least he didn't give me any grief when I told him I had no money.
                  I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

OY - my Mom, God love her, is a sap for a sad story. Only the other day, while we were out shopping together, she'd already purchased her stuff and I was still at a register with mine, so she went out to her vehicle, when I had finished and reached her, she had JUST given a guy $5, saying he "needed gas" (he's going around with a jerry can in his hand) and I recognized him as the same guy who last summer hit her up for $ for a "bus fare home." I don't know why she keeps falling for these guys - when I ask her she says "Well he COULD really be out of gas!" - well then offer to take his gas can to the station across the street! Chances are he'll say no!
                    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                      I've only ever made one exception to that, and that was two 15 year old girls, in winter, at about 8 at night so really dark, asking for 50p to get home miles away, on consideration, the fact that it wasn't a full amount, and the fact that they were young and vulnerable (without the fare they'd have had to walk home).
                      Ugh. I did this one in reverse. An old guy, clean and neatly dressed, hit me up in the parking lot of the warehouse store for "gas money." I caved and gave him what I had (about 87 cents).

Turned out he was a regular panhandler.

We actually have a Beggars Guild in my town. A friend of mine is friends with a former panhandler. When new panhandlers show up, they get approached by a dude who offers them "protection" in return for a cut of the take. He also rotates the panhandlers around the best sites so everyone gets a shot at the good money (makes sense, if the same face is at the same spot, people catch on and quit giving).

Fail to pay the Guild and you can expect a beat down.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

If that's how easy it is to get money, I'm going to get my old car back and stand over the hood of my car in a short skirt all day.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I keep getting the ones in the VoldMort parking lot claiming they need "Oil for the car to get home."

They always get scared when I ask to see the car and say something like "Hmmmm. That has the Chevy 2.4 4-banger - that's usually a 5-weight, so I'll pick you up a couple of litres of 5W-30 eh?"

Surprisingly , nobody has taken me up on that one.

B
                          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working...
                          X