Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switzerland to consider "Maximum Wage"...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switzerland to consider "Maximum Wage"...

Hopefully, this can be discussed without getting into fratching territory...

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/21/op...html?hpt=hp_c5

The guts of the article is that Swiss voters are going to vote on capping executive pay at 12 times what the lowest paid employee makes, at any given company.

So using the U.S. as an example, if a person made $7.50 hour (min. wage), or approximately $15,600 a year, that means that the highest paid executive could make $187,200 a year (I think this would include stock options, etc.). Or, if the executive made $5 million, that would mean the lowest-paid employee in that company would make over $200 per hour, or approximately $416,000 per year.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Honestly? It sounds like a good idea to try to avoid the massive wealth disparity that's so obvious in countries like the US.

The biggest issue/concern, however is that companies might pull up stakes and leave Switzerland entirely to avoid having to deal with that particular bit of legislation.

(I know I'd love to make 200$ per hour working at an entry-level position, as would many others)

Comment

It's certainly an idea worth talking about. Perhaps not on *this* forum, but...

Comment

My comments on this are probably not appropriate to CS.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          It's certainly an idea worth talking about. Perhaps not on *this* forum, but...
          "Not on this forum" indeed.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
          X