Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see a tax audit in their future......

So I was sent over to the software aisle to help a customer. He's looking for TurboTax. It's not in the software aisle (because it's a seasonal product) but it's not unreasonable to assume it's there. As I lead him over to where it is, I ask him which version he needs (there are 5). This isn't sucky but stupid.

Me: What version do you need, sir?

Stupid Customer: 2007.

As if I'd even have it for any other year......

Me: Of course, but which VERSION, sir? Basic, Deluxe, Deluxe with State, Premier, or Business?

SC: The current one!!

Me: They are all current, sir, but they are all different. *repeats above question*

SC:I don't know.....this one! *waves flyer*

Me: Ok, that's Deluxe with State

*SC starts digging through the Basic section looking for Deluxe w/State*

*I grab the right version and hand it to him; he goes away*

About a minute later I get called over to register 1. It's the same guy and his wife. Wife needs me to explain how the rebates work (she was looking at the part of the flyer that says free Quicken Deluxe after rebate with purchase of tax software).

Me: Well, if you buy Quicken Deluxe with this tax software, you'll get two $30 mail-in rebates, which will make Quicken free in the end.

Wife: Well where is it???

*retrieves Quicken from the same display as the tax software*

Me: here.

Wife: So this free now?

Me: No ma'am, after rebate.

Wife: No free now?!

Me: No. You have to PAY for it now, then you'll get two rebates for $30 each. YOu'll get the money in the mail.

Wife: oh ok.

Seriously folks, get with the freaking program. Three instances of fail in less than 5 minutes:

1. Not understanding that the software comes in more than one version.

2. Not finding a product that's right next to the first one you wanted.

3. Not understanding the concept of a rebate.

I'd be amazed if they could figure that software out. I'm guessing they're going to totally screw up their tax returns and get nailed with an audit.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

That's if they can handle the install.

Comment

Forget the install, they'll probably just try to enclose the software with their return forms.

Magic!
      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
        Forget the install, they'll probably just try to enclose the software with their return forms.

Magic!
        We'll probably hear all about it over on PFB in a few weeks about how they got in trouble with the IRS because of faulty software.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

[devil's advocate] To be fair, some people are just starting to pay their own taxes and have no flippin' clue as to what they need to do.[/devil's advocate] But that only excuses the first bit.
          What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

<devil's advocate #2>

To be (somewhat) fair, some people own computers who really shouldn't own computers.

I shudder to think about how the installation will work out for them.

</devil's advocate #2>

Comment

I know what you mean. I used to have a friend who would decorate her PC tower with little flower MAGNETS!

Comment

It makes me feel sorry for the customer support people who work for TurboTax. I would love to hear the multitude of dumb questions they get asked.
                "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

These are my colleagues. We look the other way when we see the bourbon bottle stashed in their deck drawer. If anyone deserves a lil belt, these poor slobs do.

Comment

Working...
                  X