X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry if you were not next in line

i had this customer today...

i was helping someone and when i went out side there was a lady waiting, i told her i would be with her as soon as i could (per the norm of course) so when i get back in side she follows me and there was another lady who was standing there.

i said ok ill help who was next in line.. the lady who was out side steps up and says she needs an alignment, the other lady just looks at me like um that lady took cuts. so i tell her she was here before you, she was out in the shop waiting for me.. she only says i see and walks out.

she didnt even ask my co worker who she was standing right next to if he could help her she just got in her car and left.

i guess its for the best, if shes that sensitive then i really didnt want to have to deal with her at that time.
    "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Good for you! I hate line-cutters ... and I especially hate staff who let them.

But, I love staff who rebuke them!
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Personally, I feel that customers should "work it out among themselves" who should be next. I mean, they are adults, right? (most of them anyway).

At one of my previous jobs at the supermarket, I was working on deli counter for a short time since they were very busy. Unfortunately, we had had some problems with the system where you have the roll of paper that has queue numbers on it, so we had to basically serve people as they came.

So, I was working through all the customers waiting, and said to one lady, "Are you being served?" She said "You should say 'What number do you have'?"

Now, perhaps I wasn't in the nicest of moods, so I just looked at her quizzically and moved on to another customer. I mean, come on, I'm about to serve you - do you want me to or not?

Oh, and no-one ever mentioned it to me again.
      Last edited by matty; 01-10-2008, 12:40 PM. Reason: Typing errors.

Comment

I hate that situation! I got that a lot working in a shoe department where we were running around a lot. One customer waits by the stockroom door, and one by the register. I don't know who was there first, they both say they were....

I really don't care either....I just want to keep it moving.
        "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
        "Red."
        "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
        "RED!"
        "..."

Comment

I have no problem sorting out line issues. If I see someone cut in line, I will take the person who was actually next and waited their turn. When the line cutter tries to complain, I'll tell them, "I'm sorry. This customer has been waiting patiently and it is their turn now. I will be happy to help you once I am finished (or I'll point to the end of the line and tell them they have to wait like everyone else)."

I don't like when people refuse to wait their turn. It is rude. Rudeness doesn't fly with me.

EDIT: If I didn't see it, then I'd just pick. If they complain, they get to sort it out. If someone else is waiting, and the two are too busy arguing...I help the other person to keep things going. (doesn't normally happen that way in the environments I've worked in)
          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

If the employee has no way of knowing, sure, we'll work it out among ourselves.

But, when someone cuts in front of the employee's face ... please. Don't just go help the jerk. It makes the employee just as bad.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I had this one happen to myself, and it was a similar reaction. The Subway near my house is in a gas station/convenience store. There is literally no barrier between them; where you stand to order Subway is right next to the beef jerky snacks. We stepped up to the order counter, and the lady said it would be just a moment. So I turn to look at the beef jerky selection to give my eyes something to focus on, (I already knew what I wanted), when this lady walks into the station. At that moment the lady behind the counter pipes up and says 'Ok, can I help you?' and is clearly looking at us. The lady who came in steps right up and starts ordering. The lady behind the counter stops her and says, "I'm sorry, these two were here first.", referring to my wife and I. The lady gets all huffy, and literally stomps out of the store like a child who was just told they couldn't buy the candy bar. I guess getting some Subway wasn't that important after all.
              A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

i usually let the people in line sort it out if i have not seen who was there first. but because of the way our shop is set up sometimes the people who are waiting at the counter have no way of knowing that there was someone out in the shop waiting to be helped either.

if i know who is next i always step up and say "this person has been waiting paitently for me to help them so if you could wait a few mins more i can help you or someone else can (if i have that option which sometimes im the only one there)

i get alot of crap from those people who feel they were cut off, i just say she was in the shop waiting for me for a while while i helped some one else, so you can wait.

peoples inpatients makes me mad some times. its like this time years ago when i got rear ended at a stop light, the lady who hit me drives around me and says there is no damage done to your car and drives off. of course i was in a real mood after that so i followed her, she stops off at a 711 and gets a coffee, im waiting for her out in the parking lot with my information in my hand telling her i want her info or i will turn her in to the police for hit and run. she says i dont have time for this i have to pick up my son.

my reply to her, ok was your son in an accident, is he bleeding to death, in my opinion you stupid bitch if you have time to stop to get some fucking coffee then you have enough time to give me your information, here is mine its ready or do you want this to take way longer and wait for me to call the police.
                "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth matty View Post
                  Personally, I feel that customers should "work it out among themselves" who should be next. I mean, they are adults, right? (most of them anyway).
                  Agreed! I actually got caught in the middle of one of these situations.
                  I think I posted about it but what basically happened was two groups of people (one individual and a man and woman who were together) moved to my line when I had my back turned.
                  The man who was alone slid his things to the front of the belt, but the man who was with his wife was physically in line first.
                  I didn't know who's stuff was what or who got where when so I just started to ring through the man who was standing before me first.

Well long story short this resulted in an argument wherein I became the villain and was eventually told to "fuck off" by the wife.

Now I'll always tell someone who's trying to scurry over that I've called the next in line customer over and will be serving them first, but if anyone wants to fight it out and even so much as glances in my direction for a ruling I say, "Last time I got involved I was yelled at and sworn at so you'll have to decide between you who goes first."
                  And if they don't like it oh well, I know my manager will back me up.

Comment

I've had other customers who are practically up my current customer's ass. I've had to ask the up the butt, impatient person to MOVE back. If I am handing out cash to my customer I sure as hell don't want the person behind them knowing what they have.

It got so bad one day, I had to stop what I was doing and tell this lady about five times to move away. She was shoving her crap in my window while I was counting out three thousand dollars! If I were the customer in my window, I would've bitten her head off.

I can never understand why at amy bank people seem to wait in line but when they get to my cage all hell breaks loose and they seem to rush up while not being called and get bitchy because I am still putting away the last transaction. Grr.

I will point out people who cut. I do not tolerate it.

Comment

I've told my customers over the years that the amount and quality of dark chocolate will directly affect long long you will have to wait for me to solve your problem. And I said in front of my bosses. Little did my bosses know how serious I was.
                      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

lol, sounds like an old boss of mine,

she would have these fits where she needed chocolate, she would run around like kermit with his arms over his head (yah she really looked like that) she did the same thing when she needed coffee and send me on insane coffee runs, "you fly ill buy" she says. the one time she flys, she messed up my coffee order lol. i ended up giving it to this other lady who was visiting our office for the day, who wanted a "taste" then would come back and want another "taste" she was on a diet, she wouldnt just take the damn coffee like i told her too since i didnt want it. (iced coffee is just wrong btw) finally after she drank more than half of it just tasting it she took it with her. she asked me not to tell her what was in it so she wouldnt buy it on her own (cafe mocha, double shot of expresso, with a shot of almond)

Comment

This is why I love Salt Lake, we have an oh so subtle way of letting our displeasure be known... this happens all the time at the 711 by where I work
                          they have 2 registers, one line (pretty common right) of course there are always the out of towners who don't understand this concept (these are the same rural/suburban idiots who don't understand the concept of assigned parking spaces at apartment complexes...) and the people in line will always have the following conversation just loud enough for the person to hear
                          1. I wonder if that guy is from out of the city or if he is really that stupid
                          2. i don't know, most of the people from out of town will wander confused before asking where the line is, so i'm thinking he's too stupid to know what a line is.
                          1. yeah, that's probably it... besides there is nothing to say that he isn't from out of town and an idiot.
                          2. yeah that's true

or some variation similar... now when I'm involved I limit it to questioning the persons intelligence, but disliking utahns outside of salt lake sadly is very common in this city so it is brought up a lot.
                          the exception being with parking, I cannot stand it when I see someone in my assigned parking space with a car dealership license rim from a rural dealer... gah, how hard is it to figure out that in the city parking is limited and that some people may have spent money to insure their space and that's why it has a big NUMBER on it!!!!!!!!! (granted in my case that money is included in my rent, but it doesn't change the fact that I paid for space number 33 and I expect to be able to use space 33, not have to park half a block away) /endrant
                          Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 01-21-2008, 04:53 PM.
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

i hate it when some one parks in my space.

i have been parking in the same spot for years now, the otherday my boyfriend goes out to my car to get something and brings back this note

"if you park in my spot again i will have you towed"

im like wtf, for a few days there was another car that would park in my spot, i would honk my horn (as it was not too late) say hey get this car out of my spot blah blah, all the while these kids sat looking at me from a balcony window giggling at me, i knew it was their moms car (other wise i would not have been so presistant)

the next day we go to the rental office and show them the note, and say that if my car ends up in a tow lot we will refuse to pay for it, ect ect

eventually they found the culprit, my spot is 65 hers is 55 it just so happens my spot is right in front of their door, it would be way too conviant for the spot to be there you know lol. she never did appoligize to me for that either.

Comment

One of my old co-workers did that... He figured "It's snowing; I want to park in the covered lot." Only ... to park in the covered lot you have to pay a monthly fee and you get a specific spot. So... the next day he had to call in to work, "I'm going to need a ride to work today..." cos his car got towed.

The sad part was - and it was typical of him - was that... he was OFFENDED and actually ranted on that the guy who rented the spot had "no right" to have the car towed. Yeah. (sadder is that... this wasn't out of character for him)

Comment

Working...
                              X