This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grrrrr I know its cold...

I just got home from work. I had to work outside off and on tonight. It is currently 17°F outside.

I had so many customers think it was fine to tell me they felt sorry for us having to work outside pumping their gas. If they are feeling sorry then why are they coming to our station to have us pump it when they could have gone right up the road and pumped their own and saved 7 cents a gallon?

The boss lowered our gas today and after he went home the station up the road went even lower than us. Once he leaves for the day he wont come back in to lower or raise the gas price. I keep telling him this just proves my point, he can be 5 to 10 cents above all other stations in town and he will NOT lose customers. Theres times when we are 15 cents higher than the others and we are still busier then hell.

Boo Hoo. It was about -6°F when I came into work and it didn't warm up much. Wind chills are about -25°F or so.

At least I didn't have to do carryouts or get carts. Quite a few people braving the cold to buy furniture today.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Boo Hoo. It was about -6°F when I came into work and it didn't warm up much. Wind chills are about -25°F or so.
      Dude, that's harsh LOL

I'll admit, I go to the full-service station when it's really cold out.... but that's mainly because I don't own a winter coat (blew all my money on buying the kids' snowsuits and boots)
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I'm sorry to inform you that it was 75 degrees here today but not such a sunny day. We will be getting down in the 50's tomorrow however. As a native Floridian, I love temps in the 40's thru 60's. Perfect football weather. Yay!!! 100th post!
        I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Years ago I worked at a Gulf gas station that had 2 levels of service; Mini service and full service. (self service was still illegal back than.) Mini service meant that I pumped the gas, but didn't do anything else except collect the money. Full service was just that. I checked the fluids and tire pressure, washed the windows and cleaned the head and tail lights if needed.

Invariably I would get people that pulled to the mini-service island and ask that I perform one of the services offered only at the full service island. Then they would bitch when I told them that if they wanted any service other than me pumping the gas, they would have to pull to the full service island. (note: the mini serve island didn't have an air hose, water bucket or towels, just gas pumps and a light pole) We had more rubber on the pavement at the mini serve island than at the starting line at a drag strip.

Now the weather. I just got a wind chill advisory on my Weather channel Firefox plug-in:

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 12 PM EST SUNDAY.

WIND CHILL INDICES WILL FALL TO 10 TO 15 BELOW ZERO OVERNIGHT. THESE INDICES WILL PERSIST THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING AS A RESULT OF 10 TO 15 MPH WIND COMBINED WITH TEMPERATURES IN THE SINGLE DIGITS TO NEAR ZERO. WIND CHILL INDICES WILL APPROACH 2O BELOW ON THE HIGHEST RIDGE TOPS.

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS MAY RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS... MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

(Sorry for the caps. That's the way I received the alert.)

Right now it's 16° wind is out of the north at 17MPH. Wind chill is 7°. Brrrrrrr.
          Last edited by bigjimaz; 01-20-2008, 02:13 AM.
          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

-35 without the wind... -41 windchill where I am right now.... Good thing I'm not a brass monkey... I really feel sorry for anybody working outside.... Course great for snowmobiling.

Comment

bigjimaz what part of PA?
              I am very close to Pittsburgh, the wind here was just going right through my clothes and coats.

Irving Patrick Freleigh. I have no problem working in the cold. Just hate the people that have to point out to me how cold it is and how sorry they feel for me. If they feel sorry/bad then why dont they go and pump their own and save some cash?

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
                I'm sorry to inform you that it was 75 degrees here today but not such a sunny day.
                I hate you.
                Last edited by Ree; 01-21-2008, 07:43 PM. Reason: Edited quote
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

It was supposed to be so cold this weekend but today wasn't bad at all. I got back from shopping and I even took off my coat before I ran back to the car for the second load.

Tomorrow was supposed to be the really cold day, I think, though, so we'll see...
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

-10, windchill is -30 here

Comment

guess i shouldnt complain when i feel chilly here. cos it snowed a tiny bit 7 days ago. and without the heater on it's about 17 degrees here... Celcius

*ducks from the incoming snowballs*

personally, though, i hate the inbetween weather sometimes... i think i'd adjust better if it DID get that cold. but since it's just hovering in 40s or so (F) then my brain doesn't switch over into snow-mode. weird i know.

Comment

Pfft. I've lived through the October blizzard - now THAT'S cold!!

Comment

*Sigh* It's 0 degress Farenheit here, and I've got to go shopping. With a 3 year old. (No milk, she drank it all).

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            *ducks from the incoming snowballs*
                            Snowballs nothing! I'll rent a B52, fill it up and dump it on your head!
                            Last edited by Ree; 01-21-2008, 07:43 PM. Reason: Edited quote
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                              Dude, that's harsh LOL
                              That's not harsh, it's just winter in WI.

I've been living in NJ too long. It's supposed to be all of 25 degrees today and I'm worried about being cold.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X