This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just tell me what you want...

Just something that bothered me the other day...

I work in the dairy isle of my local grocery store. Some of you may know about the MANY, MANY flavors of CoffeeMate and International Delite coffee creamers. You could probably go an entire month without having to have the same flavor two days out of the month. As you can imagine, keeping this area stocked can me a little tougher than keeping the milk and eggs full. Each flavor has it own box, several different sizes, and one case won't fit on the shelf meaning we have lots and lots of cases in the back with anywhere from 1 - 10 bottles in it.

Anyway, I sometimes have people come up to me and ask me if I have a particular flavour. I'm always polite in the beginning and 9 times out of 10 my politeness is returned. I have several people that I would call regulars who love to joke around and ask how my wife is doing. Well, the other day I had just got 4 pallets in on a truck delivery, had just gotten all of the product put away in the cooler, and knowing we were busy and milk is the fist thing to sell out, load a float full of milk and pushed it out on the floor to frantically stock the milk that had been zapped while I was unloading and putting away the earlier truck.

In the middle of putting this away I had this customer come up to me and motion with both hands from the waist palms up, kinda like a TV evangalist casting out the demons by calling on the lord, and GRUNT!! That's right, she motioned at a shelf that has dozens of flavours of coffee creamer, quite a few that we were out of as the truck had JUST come in, and grunted. I was sure that I was seeing things and so I kept stocking milk. She then turned to me and tapped me and did the calling the spirit of the lord thing again as well as her GRUNT!!

At this point I'm sweaty from unloading a truck outside of a/c in Florida, then I'm cold beacuse I've been in a cooler putting things away while sweaty, and I'm tired. So I turn to this woman and just ask, "What do you want ma'am? I need to know what to check on for you." So she stops and looks at me funny for a second and then points to the shelf tag and says the only two words I hear, "Crema Brewya" yup, she was trying to say Creme Brule and couldn't come out with it.

I went to the back checked backstock, nope. Looked all over my four pallets that I haven't touched yet, nope. Maybe in the center down lower in a pallet that I can't see, so I break open a couple of pallets trying to find this stuff. I'm trying to hurry as I know this woman will get tired of waiting and just leave me digging in the cooler. In the third pallet I finally find the smaller ones in the flavor that she wants, but not the bigger ones. I run them back up and she's still there!! I show her what I have, she looks at what I have pulled out of the box, give it a dismissive wave, and turns around and walks away.

WTF!! Can you believe all of the work that I did looking for this stuff for this stupid woman only to have her walk off without a word? I don't expect people to treat me perfectly, the only thing I ask is for common human decency towards your fellow people.

Can you really expect much else from someone who uses grunting as a form of communication?

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
      Can you really expect much else from someone who uses grunting as a form of communication?
      Well at least she didn't start flinging poo like the monkeys in the zoo do when they start grunting.
      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I learned the devine language of "grunt" when I worked at the gas station. Such is what happens when you spend almost a year catering to Neanderthals who really don't know any better than to grunt, choke, and blargle their words.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Don't mean to play Devil's Advocate but it sounds to me she might have been deaf (or had Laryngitis. Tis the season and all).

She could'a been nicer, though.
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
          X