This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your phone is BROKEN, get over it!

Lately at <red checkmark>, I've had a lot of customers getting pissed off at me because their phone is damaged and thus, ineligible for warranty.

It's only like the most basic and common reason to void a warranty in existence but do customers get it? Of course not!

- Yes, Mr. SC, I realize that the charging problem you're having is likely unrelated to the crack on the top of your phone and it worked for fine for months after the damage, but you still can't make a warranty claim.

- Yes, Mrs. SC, a spider crack on the screen does very much count as physical damage. I don't care if you "can't really see it" or that "the phone works fine" or that you are, allegedly, one of my companies best customers, a crack is a crack is crack.

- No, Mr. SC, you don't get a $600 credit on your bill simply because you vehemently refuse to accept that your phone actually had damage, even though we clearly pointed out to you where said damage was. Saying that it "doesn't count" and "isn't actually damage" might sound slick, but won't get you anywhere. A lawyer won't help get you out of this one either.

- No Mrs. SC, my company is not obligated to accommodate you after your precious daughter broke her phone within TWO weeks of getting the damn thing. Of course the store told you no when you took it back there to get a replacement. And now you are raging mad because you can't get a warranty claim and will have to pay money to replace a brand new phone. Oh and you want a manager now? Sure, no problem, let me know how that works out for you.

- Yes Mrs. SC, your screen is perfect, but there's the small matter of the piece that is, you know, MISSING from the camera on the back of your phone. "Good condition" means more than just a clear screen. No credit for you.

- No Mr. SC, it is NOT our fault that you didn't realize that sending back a rooted phone for a warranty claim just MIGHT be a bad idea. Have fun with that $500 charge now.

- Yes Mrs. SC, you DID agree that you would be charged if we found damage on your phone. We told you this when you made the claim. Oh, you didn't hear us?
    I seriously doubt that, but no problem! The same agreement is also included in the box we send out with your replacement in it. You sent us the phone back, you agreed to the terms. Oh, you never read the sheet and now think the terms don't apply to you? Sorry, the real world doesn't work that way sweetie. Bye now.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Being the in store tech, I get this nearly every day. And then there's the ones that want to add insurance after they've damaged it, and we tell them we can't add it as it would be fraudulent.

Comment

I honestly don't know how people fuck up their phones so badly.

I've had 4 iPhones, and never had a crack in any of them. I did ruin my first one by running it through the wash . . . totally my fault.

But I don't have the chips, scratches, or dings on my phones that I've seen on other people's.

Of course, I always invest in a quality case for my phones. That must be it.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't had to deal with damage to my phones generally. Firstly, especially since I upgraded to smart phones, I get a good case for it and a screen-protector. Secondly, I'm not clipping it to my belt, but putting it in my pocket. (Less likelihood of it unclipping by mistake and falling to the ground.) Thirdly, I take care of the damn thing and try to not have it out if there's a major possibility of dropping it.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
          I honestly don't know how people fuck up their phones so badly.

I've had 4 iPhones, and never had a crack in any of them. I did ruin my first one by running it through the wash . . . totally my fault.

But I don't have the chips, scratches, or dings on my phones that I've seen on other people's.

Of course, I always invest in a quality case for my phones. That must be it.
          I have some minor dings and scratches on mine, but it is also a first gen droid. Got it for my birthday 10/27/2009. Also got a decent case for it. I had to get a new battery for it, but that is all. Well, and it is only 3g, but I don't stream anything so it is not a big deal [and I tend to use less than a gig a month even when I was traveling and used it as a GPS.]
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I tried keeping mine in my pocket, and right now I am again doing so, but I don't like it. It feels weird and awkward when I'm walking. But, my current holster is in such sad shape I don't trust it anymore. Seems like good ones are hard to find anymore.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I really don't know how people can screw up their phones the way they do. I've had an iphone 5 for two years and have dropped it many times. No damage at all. I keep it in my pocket without anything else in the same pocket and the screen against my leg rather than facing outword. It's made of glass, don't you think it makes sense to protect it with a proper case?

Comment

I could never work in a phone shop or a call centre that deals with customers and their phones. I just don't have the balls for dealing with that particular breed of SC. Kudos on you for being brave enough for it!

Comment

I just cracked my screen last week. How, you ask?

Tripped and fell while trail running. Cracked my phone and my knee, and landed badly on my bad shoulder. Bit more worried about the latter two. And annoyed with myself over the former. Was hoping to hold out till the 6 is released in a couple months.

But I have insurance, if I choose to use it, and the phone is still functional. Thinking I may just hold out till September.

Comment

Had a lady in a week or so ago, said her phone wasn't charging properly. Quick look into the charging port confirmed: bent pins, like someone had tried to jam the charger in upside down. Probably the most common charging-related issue I see, and I tell her as much.

Old Bat: "Well, I didn't do that!"
                    Me: "Maybe someone else at your home did it by accident?"
                    Old Bat: "Nobody lives with me, and I didn't do that!"
                    Me: "OK, well, it happened somehow and, unfortunately, it's not covered under warranty."
                    Old Bat: "But I didn't do it, so I shouldn't be responsible for it!"

Cue another 5 minutes of that, until she got tired of repeating herself (and possibly upset at my explanation that the phone didn't just hop onto the charger itself and accidentally miss)...

Old Bat: "Well, VERIZON would give me a free replacement!"
                    Me: "You're welcome to go to Verizon, then, and see what they tell you. In fact, if you like I can call them for you and ask?"
                    Old Bat: "F*** YOU"

And she stormed out.
                    "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                    -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                      Old Bat: "Well, VERIZON would give me a free replacement!"
                      Me: "You're welcome to go to Verizon, then, and see what they tell you. In fact, if you like I can call them for you and ask?"
                      Old Bat: "F*** YOU"

And she stormed out.
                      She certainly put you in your place and got what she wanted!

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                        Old Bat: "Well, I didn't do that!"
                        Me: "Maybe someone else at your home did it by accident?"
                        Old Bat: "Nobody lives with me, and I didn't do that!"

What an idiotic lie...who does she think did do it in her mind?

Comment

I think she was trying to convince me that the phone was like that when she got it. Unfortunately for her, I wasn't born at night or last night.
                          "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                          -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                            I think she was trying to convince me that the phone was like that when she got it. Unfortunately for her, I wasn't born at night or last night.
                            Ah, but did you fall off the turnip truck first thing this morning?

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                              - No Mr. SC, it is NOT our fault that you didn't realize that sending back a rooted phone for a warranty claim just MIGHT be a bad idea. Have fun with that $500 charge now.
                              A $500 charge for getting root access on your phone? Sheesh, kind of harsh IMNSHO - but on the other hand, the one time I had to send my phone in, I flashed my phone to the relevant OFW (official firmware) in advance, ended up having no problems.
                              Violets are blue,
                              Roses are red,
                              I bequeath to thee...
                              A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
                              X