Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when you thought they couldn't get much dumber.....(Sorry, Really Long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when you thought they couldn't get much dumber.....(Sorry, Really Long)

Let me mention two things before I tell you about the dumbass of the day.

1. As I'm sure you already know, it is federal law to ID anyone one buying tobacco products. Every store is different on how flexible their policy is with this law, i.e. you look over forty so we won't ID you. Our store's policy is NOT flexible. EVERYONE is getting IDed and no ID means no cigarettes. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. Selling cigarettes without carding the customer is an automatic termination.

2. When cigarettes are scanned, our registers will pull up a prompt that says CHECK ID and a YYYY/DD/MM format to enter the birth date off the customer's ID. Unless you put in the birthday, the register will not ring the cigarettes up or give you a price with tax.

Okay, now. Dumbass of the day.

This guy is a frequent customer, so yes, he knows the rules. He walks up to my register (since my cashier is on break) and.......

SC: Get me those cigarettes. (He's standing in front of the register, a few feet from the CLEAR glass case, yet doesn't point anywhere)

Me: Yes sir, which kind can I get for you?

SC: Erm. Let's see. Hmmm. I guess..... That *brand* and get me the short ones. Oh, the menthol flavored ones.

Me: Alrighty sir, well....we just have the long ones for that *brand*

SC: Well. That's not what I want, now is it?

Me: No sir, it isn't. Unfortunately, it is all we have in stock right now. Our next shipment isn't due until Tuesday morning.

SC: Well fine then. I GUESS I will have to get the long ones.

Me: Yes sir......

So I get his cigarettes as he's bitching and moaning about the store being out of short *brand* cigarettes. I scan the cigarettes and the prompt displays on my screen.

Me: Sir, may I see an ID, please? (I flinch every time I ask because nine out of ten customers will yell and cuss about policy, especially the regulars.)

SC: I AM FIFTY FOUR YEARS OLD!! [Who cares??] Why should I have to show you an ID to buy my cigarettes!!

Me: Well, sir. It is *Store' s* policy to card anyone trying to purchase tobacco products, regardless of their age, haircolor, gender, religious affiliation, or race.

SC: I DON'T HAVE IT. THIS IS NOT FAIR! I'm way over the age limit. You can cleary see that. Why don't you make an exception for such a loyal customer and I won't have you fired for such poor customer service!

ME: Sir, I'm really am sorry that I have to refuse your purchase, but my job isn't worth that five dollar pack of cigarettes. I cannot and will not break *Store' s* policy over this minor miscommunication.

SC: WELL FINE, BUT YOUR STORE MANAGER WILL BE HEARING ABOUT YOUR BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!! YOU'RE GOING TO BE IN ALOT OF TROUBLE, YOUNG LADY.

Me: Yes sir, Would you like her name and our store number? She won't be back at the store until Monday morning at 8 a m.

SC: BLEEP YOU!!

The SC storms away from my register and just as he reaches our front doors, guess who comes in the store? Our friendly small town sheriff....in his freshly pressed uniform...

SC: *to sheriff* Hey, John!! (name changed) GUESS WHAT? These bleepers won't sell me cigarettes 'cuz I don't have my ID on me. Anit that just the stupidest thing you ever heard!! I'm fifty four years old, for bleeps sake!

SC storms out of the store and fires up his beat to hell pickup truck and burns rubber out of the parking lot. Our wonderful friendly town sheriff just shakes his head and radios his officers to go pick up the SC and arrest him.

{ You heard right, this dumbass just voluntarily told a member of law enforcement that he was driving without his driver' s license}

The poor sheriff just looks at me and says, "I already told that guy to behave twice today. Stubborn jackass just won't listen to anybody."

Oh. According to the grapevine here in Tiny Town, he was arrested for speeding, expired inspection sticker, not wearing a seat belt, disturbing the peace, resisting arrest, assaulting an officer....and the icing.....a shiny new DUI for driving while high on who knows what.

I just feel better that karma struck so quickly today because I'm so sick of customers acting like they will absolutely just die right there on the floor [please, feel free] just because they are being carded for tobacco.
    Last edited by Plankton78; 08-09-2014, 12:05 PM.
    No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Oh hello karma haven't seen you for a while. Sounds like this guy really deserved the visit.

Comment

That...sniff....that was beautiful...!
      I no longer fear HELL.
      I work in RETAIL.

Comment

You forgot driving without a license. Quite a list even without that!

Agreed, Karma is a beautiful thing. Only way this could possibly be better is the banhammer hitting this guy square in the nads!

Comment

I wonder if you could have intentionally delayed him by telling him to wait there. After a while he would have asked, "what for?", and that's when you reply, "Wait until they change the rules where we don't require carding anyone. I don't know when that will be.."

Comment

Quoth Plankton78 View Post
            Period. No ifs, ands, or buts.
            Don't you mean ifs, ands, or butts?

Comment

Oh. According to the grapevine here in Tiny Town, he was arrested for speeding, expired inspection sticker, not wearing a seat belt, disturbing the peace, resisting arrest, assaulting an officer....and the icing.....a shiny new DUI for driving while high on who knows what.
              Brought a tear to my eye.

The nice thing about dumbasses, is that they're rarely a dumbass about just one thing... if they won't follow YOUR rules, chances are, they don't follow other rules either, so I never get mad at them, I know it's only a matter of time before they run afoul of a much more serious rule than any of mine. Like the kind that are enforced by, say, a court? or the IRS? Or maybe these nice folks over here with their guns?

I've seen plenty of people ramp up illegal parking into stays in jail because they just think they're that special.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Let me mention two things before I tell you about the dumbass of the day.

1. As I'm sure you already know, it is federal law to ID anyone one buying tobacco products.
                Forgive me if I am missing something, but I thought that you only had to ID someone 27 and under...

Comment

That changed a while back to 40, as I guess 27 is kind of hard to tell. I always went by gray in hair+wrinkles for the magic combo to not be carded.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Interesting.

I recently worked at a convenience store and the signs still said 27, as did a quick Google search. I was honestly just curious.

Comment

Alogram, just looking at your sig - does that make Fifty Shades of Grey 'shiterature' ?
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

works for me!

On the one hand, I can't wait til that damn movie comes out so it will be over with, but all my coworkers are gaga for it, telling me how great it is. NO.

Comment

Ah, karma

Comment

... I don't have my ID on me. Anit that just the stupidest thing you ever heard!! I'm fifty four years old, for bleeps sake!

SC storms out of the store and fires up his beat to hell pickup truck and burns rubber out of the parking lot.
                            And that would be a better candidate for the stupidest thing that sheriff has ever heard.

Comment

Quoth alogram View Post
                              Forgive me if I am missing something, but I thought that you only had to ID someone 27 and under...
                              Some places card everyone just to make it easier on the cashiers, but in this case, the register wouldn't allow the transaction to be completed without a birthdate being entered. (Although, yes, the cashier probably could just make one up, but why accommodate an SC? )

Comment

Working...
                              X