This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today's SC

*not super-sucky, but an example of why I wish we could ask customers not to put things on carts we are shelving*

I was shelving a bookcart in the children's room at the library, had taken a last armful of non-fiction, and when I returned to the cart, found a pile of books on it. There were a few women with kids in the room, but none were in the immediate area, so I assumed these were unwanted items, and started re-shelving them.

Suddenly, one of the women rushes over and asks if I had taken that pile of books, and it turned out that she had been intending to check them out. She seemed a little miffed, but I think maybe she thought either I was a customer or assumed I had seen her with those books. Meanwhile, I still had some of the books in my arms, and was able to find most of the others....and I tell her that I was sorry about that, but that I had been shelving that cart and assumed anything left on it was okay to put back.

I'll bet she also saves her most important emails in her deleted items folder.
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
      *snerk* I know, right?

Comment

Who knows.....it was just one of those things where you can't tell if the customer is going to get majorly sucky or not. My personal view though, is that if a customer leaves their stuff lying around unattended, they don't have a valid complaint if it gets taken for "clean-up".

Comment

People often do this at the bookstore. They leave piles of books lying around, then leave to another part of the store. Then they panic when they come back and the books they'd been looking at are gone. Part of my job is to keep the store looking nice, and it won't look inviting if there are piles of books and magazines lying around. If there is a customer nearby I usually ask if the items are theirs, but if not, sorry, it's gone. Once a woman bitched at me because I picked up her stuff ("I was only gone for a minute!"...yeah, sure) and didn't apologize for taking it, even though I busted my ass to go find what she needed again after it had been reshelved. I don't apologize for doing my job. If it's that important, take it with you, or ask us to hold it.

But really, to put it on a cart of books that are going back out on the floor...that's a new level of dumb.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
            I always have thought that to be an urban legend told from one generation to the next. I really would like to know how many people actually do that and why they thought it was a good idea in the first place.

I never have figured out the why.
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

But really, to put it on a cart of books that are going back out on the floor...that's a new level of dumb.
              That's what I was thinking. On a table, sure, I could understand that, but who thinks, "Here's a cart, I'll just leave these here while I wander off to do something else..." ?
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                That's what I was thinking. On a table, sure, I could understand that, but who thinks, "Here's a cart, I'll just leave these here while I wander off to do something else..." ?
                I think maybe because we don't have an "Items in Use - Do not Touch" sort of sign to put on carts, and I'm not really sure we "can" ask customers not to put items on carts we are using/shelving.

Comment

Every once in awhile down at the Station, people will create a beverage from the self serve beverage areas and then decide to use the restroom facilities, or were initially intending to use the restroom facilities upon arriving but found them busy and make the beverage first. They will sometimes "hide" their beverage in a weird spot while they are away. Problem is, these "hidden" beverages look really quite the same as abandoned beverages.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                    I always have thought that to be an urban legend told from one generation to the next. I really would like to know how many people actually do that and why they thought it was a good idea in the first place.

I never have figured out the why.
                    I can confirm that this happens. Also, that people will store things in the Temp folder and then wonder where it went after the computer prompts them to clean out temporary files.

The why is fairly simple. They just don't understand that those folders are different from other folders in the system, in that they are set aside to be cleaned out at set times. It's simple ignorance of how the computer works. That in itself is not an SC move (usually), it is how a person reacts to finding out what they've done that determines SC-ness.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      I can confirm that this happens. Also, that people will store things in the Temp folder and then wonder where it went after the computer prompts them to clean out temporary files.

The why is fairly simple. They just don't understand that those folders are different from other folders in the system, in that they are set aside to be cleaned out at set times. It's simple ignorance of how the computer works. That in itself is not an SC move (usually), it is how a person reacts to finding out what they've done that determines SC-ness.
                      Reminds me a little of a story one of my uncles told about his boss, although I don't recall exact details.......just that the boss was cleaning out his desk, had put his cell phone in his garbage can, and fussed later because one of the cleaning staff had emptied the said can.

Comment

Working...
                      X