This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang It, Man

So, my CW "Casey" (whom I briefly mentioned in this thread) may be getting replaced soon. I'm putting this in General Work Chat rather than Cursing Out Coworkers because I like Casey. He does his job well, we get on well, I have no complaints about him.

I did notice that last week, on Monday, Casey left early, and didn't see any indication on our team calendar that he'd be leaving early, but not everyone is diligent about keeping it updated and I figured it was something he'd cleared with Manager K, our team lead. Manager K, I should note, works from ITSD's secondary location these days, so he's not always in our office.

This week, again, on Monday, Casey left early. I again didn't think too much on this, although I grumbled very slightly about it, since it meant the two hours of my shift would be a one-man operation.

The problem Casey has now is that Manager K was in our office on Monday. Mid-afternoon, after Casey had left, Manager K suddenly notices.

MK: "Where'd Casey go?!"
    J2K: (shrugs, spreads hands) "I think he went home."
    MK: (stares incredulously)
    J2K: "Hey, I figured he'd cleared this with you."

That's when CW "Lash" spoke up. Several months ago, Casey shifted from five 8-hr shifts a week to four 10-hr shifts. According to Lash, Casey said he was now doing three 12-hr shifts plus one 4-hr shift a week.

Judging by Manager K's reaction, this was most definitely NOT something he'd approved.

Later in my shift, not too long before Manager K left for the day, he asked me if I remembered a former coworker, The Wah. I confirmed that I did. He asked if The Wah was a good worker. I said I thought he was. "So would you rehire him?" I nodded, "Sure I would."

Manager K nodded and made a note on his computer. It was after that it occurred to me, MK is starting to get his ducks in a row to hire The Wah for second shift. And once he's got someone to fill the gap on second shift, MK may cut Casey loose.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Well, if he just upped and decided his own shifts without approving it with management, he totally deserves it. :P That's pretty ballsy.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
      Well, if he just upped and decided his own shifts without approving it with management, he totally deserves it. :P That's pretty ballsy.
      I've seen people do it, though. Had a CW who was part time. She'd randomly call in and say hey I can't make it in today, I'll come in tomorrow and just take today as my day off. It was always some reason like driving her daughter to the airport (why daughter couldn't take a cab is beyond me).

Then there was Prima Donna, who might be scheduled for, say, noon to 8 pm, and call to say she couldn't make it, she'd come in at 4 pm. Or she would create her own shifts: 1:30-7:30 (note: there was a shift that went until 8 pm. SOMEONE had to be there if not her!); 2-8, 4-8, or whatever she wanted.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sounds like my workplace, but its usually the "working from home" nonesense. we are allowed to, WITH MANAGEMENT APPROVAL, and generally speaking, most folks who do, work one set day a week from home. There is also flexibility if the weather is bad, or in my case, if at the holidays i would go to my mom's but couldn't actually be OFF the entire time.

SO many people though, take full advantage.they will "WFH" bcause they have a dr. appt, or their kid's holiday concert, and whatnot. Um, if you are doing those things, you are not working. Drives me batty, esp since they are allowed to get away with it!

Comment

Working...
        X