This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Holidays and Good Bye

My place of employment, that I have worked on and off at for over a decade between different educational stints (College, vocational training), announced to the public at the beginning of the week that our store would be closing. The employees were thankfully told a bit before that, though less than a week before. There is no concrete date as to when we will be finished, just "Sometime before the end of the year." We have been in the same location for close to 3 decades, and have in the past done tremendous business. The past few years not so much, mostly stemming from the poor choices of a former member of the corporate office.

This of course means the store is not getting any new product for the winter, and as that is our biggest time of the year we get unending demands we cannot meet. My boss has been an amazing example dealing with this, as he doesn't take any of the attitude that the customers want to deal out. I frankly don't either because at this point we could close at the end of the next week and the Manager is the point of contact for references and not the home office.

I am more concerned over my co-workers than over my own situation as I have a stable back up situation and I had made a job interview the day before I was informed we were closing.

What truly amazes me is not that the company is doing this, I understand its business they aren't doing it to hurt the employees, they are doing what has to be done for the good of the business, it amazes me that people are so callous to the fact that all the employees will be out of work before Christmas and the biggest thing on their mind is why can't you give me more of a discount on this item that isn't on sale anywhere else, You're closing, you don't need the money.

The constant questions of "how are you doing?" "Closing? You can't be closing. Where will i do my christmas shopping?" "What do you mean I can't return this christmas present in January?" are also frustrating and at this point make me want to roll my eyes. People constantly asking about whats going into the building as if we know. The "store for rent" signs went up after the closing signs. No ones rented the space yet.

I truly feel sorry for the town, so many shops have closed in it in the past 2 years. No one comes downtown to shop it seems anymore. We were the only store in town open after 5pm, Now there will be a hand full of restaurants left will be open late. And we were one of the few stores that was open on Sunday as well, it looks like town will be dying off a bit more this holiday season. At least I wont have to deal with any ridiculous requests from corporate for early black Friday (we've done it in the past and it doesn't do anything to us, we are a clothing store (mostly)), or late night Christmas Eve.

On the plus side I do have a job interview in the field I am actually trained in, and not just a position at a small retail store, next week. And if I get it, it sounds like it would go full time for the holidays, and then possible go permanent full time early next year.

Quoth Chainsmith View Post
    On the plus side I do have a job interview in the field I am actually trained in, and not just a position at a small retail store, next week. And if I get it, it sounds like it would go full time for the holidays, and then possible go permanent full time early next year.
    I hope you do get the job. Best of luck to you and your coworkers.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I too wish you and your colleagues luck. And if you're hired at another position before the store closes, please consider quitting the store immediately to begin and enjoy your new job. My biggest regret while working at a store that was closing, was that I stayed until the bitter end. I did it out of loyalty to my coworkers, but it was so stressful, I was so burned out, and customers were so...vile. Do what is best for you.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I was laid off before the bitter end of MW, but the tales I heard from that was.. horrible. I met my favorite salesman the next year at my new job and he said the store had it worse. A lot worse. He said he'd never seen such vile and petty people before and hoped never to again. The store would look like a tornado hit it at the end of every day. Nothing would stay where it was suppose to be, not even the fixtures!

Then there was the usual litany of SC complaints, but every one of them ended with, "Well now we see why you're going out of business!" or "This is what cost MW it's existence!" and even a few, "Well, if you were doing your job better, the company might not be closing, now would it?"

I was glad I was working the repair center, that we had already shifted to a call center, and I'd already been laid off. I would not have been nice to these people either.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Yeah, the number of people demanding an extra discount, and then joking about how it wouldn't matter if I was fired, since I was losing my job anyway. Truly awful people.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            Yeah, the number of people demanding an extra discount, and then joking about how it wouldn't matter if I was fired, since I was losing my job anyway. Truly awful people.
            I'd call them vultures, but vultures are far more useful.

When we were moving to a different location, we had similar problems. The business wasn't closing, so no nasty remarks about that, but we still had skinflints wanting to pay the absolute least possible, expecting the moon and stars for pennies, making a horrible mess and just generally being jerks. Don't know why, but it seems a store closing brings out the worst in customers.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Well, a bit of an update. At first all was going well. I stayed and help with the store take down to be nice. Got a bonus out of it, not much but its better than nothing.

The job interview went well. I don't have a lot of experience in practice but have a lot of training. two very different things and I told the store owner that. He was fine and hired me. However since he was losing the guy who i was to be taking over for when he heard I was hired. There was no one to show me how they liked to have things done as the owner lives out of state. So I was working there for two weeks. And just got a phone call today saying I don't really work fast enough and need more experience so its not gonna work out. don't bother coming in on saturday. So I lost two jobs right before the holidays this year. Once for the store closing. And once because I don't have enough experience to do a starting position. In a position that they have been trying to fill for months. because there isn't anyone in the area who is willing to work for starting wage for what they want.

So back to the resume's for me. Wish me luck.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, hopefully something will come your way soon. Just out of curiosity, where is this happening?

Quoth Chainsmith View Post
                The past few years not so much, mostly stemming from the poor choices of a former member of the corporate office.
                I'd love to hear more about this...

Comment

Didn't you get laid off from the store closing? You should be able to collect unemployment for that. Good luck in your search for a new job, finding a new job just before the holidays is hard, not having money for the holidays is even worse.

Comment

Working...
                  X