This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The change! Dear Jeebus the change!

*I decided to add another story from the weekend of hell rather than creating a separate thread.*

The Change
    Ok so this situation wasn't as dramatic as the title would suggest, but it irritated me nonetheless.

SW = Sucky Woman
    SWM = Sucky Woman's mother
    Me

SW approaches and purchases one item that totals $11.39 after taxes. SW then proceeds to hand me a handful of quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies.
    Now she didn't just hand me the coins all at once and leave me to count them on my own, as I requested, but instead she tried to count out the amount herself, then hand me dollar increments.
    UGH! Spare me.
    Once she had handed me what she thought was the entire amount, I double counted it to make sure, at which point she decided she was going to alter the specific coins she was going to use.
    SW (through a thick accent): No no, give me quarter I give you pennies.
    Me: You're giving me 25 pennies?
    SW: No I no need pennies.
    Me: You... what?
    SW: No. I no need pennies.

OK now it seems obvious what she was trying to say, but the way she was saying it I couldn't determine if she was saying she wanted to keep the pennies, or if she wanted me to have them. Her thick accent and limited English didn't help
    It might also seem obvious that she wanted to get rid of the pennies, but she had changed her mind so many times on the exact coins she was using, asked for some back, handed me new ones, and even asked for the pennies back.
    I still can't believe I was involved in this tomfoolery.

Me: Do you want ME to take the pennies, or do you need them?
    SW: Yes.
    Me: I... that's not... ok what I mean is do you want to pay with these pennies or do you want to keep them?
    Me: Yes what? Are you paying with them or are you keeping them?
    Me: *thinking* Ok, let me have the pennies and I'll count them out.

Then she hands me a toonie ($2 coin aka the brainfart of the Canadian Mint).

So I did what any logical, frustrated person would do. I recounted the money for the umpteenth time, using the toonie as a new tool for eliminating the smaller coins.

Finally (seriously like five minutes later and after even more mind changing from SW) I gather exact change and hand her what I no longer need.
    (She ended up giving me like $1 more in nickels and dimes, only I didn't realise it until I had counted it properly).
    So I hand her her receipt and leftover coins and SWM butts in.

SWM: Why you give her coins back?
    Me: Because I didn't need them.
    SWM: No! You take these and change them to bigger coin!
    Me: No. (yeah I was done with them)
    SWM: You change this for us! Change for us!
    Me: Sorry, the drawer's closed. If you want change you'll have to buy something else.
    SWM: You open drawer!
    Me: It's impossible to do so without a purchase.
    (Note: I hadn't even put all the change in the drawer, I just knew what was coming when she started on me so I shut it.)

SW and SWM walk away and as soon as they turned their backs what did I do? I opened the drawer to place the money in it.

The Thief(?)

Yesterday during the weekend of hell (Tax-Free even at Ikea) a man, his wife and his daughter came through my lane with a few items. One of the pieces of furniture he wanted to purchase came in two boxes, though unfortunately he only picked up the second box of the set.
    I inform him of this, to which he replies that there were no box 1's for the set.
    This is not uncommon, since sometimes people only pick up one box and the cashier doesn't catch it, meaning we end up being short-stocked on half of the same item.
    I tell him that I'll call over to Self Serve and have them check for the first box, but in the meantime he can pay for his other items.
    He pays, and leaves box #2 of the set on his cart, since it was quite large and very heavy.
    Well Self Serve was of no help to me, since they were short staffed and the store was busy as all hell.
    Eventually the customer decided he would go back and check for himself, while leaving his wife and daughter behind to wait with the items.

After about five minutes (all the while I'm making periodic glances to the family to make sure they're still there) the girl from Self Serve calls me to let me know that the customer came over looking for the box, and picked it up on his own.
    After I hung up with her I turned around with the intention of telling his family he found the box, and would be returning shortly. Since he was a nice guy I was planning to let him jump the line to pay for the item.
    Much to my surprise though, they were gone.
    I waited a little while for the customer to show up with the box, but he never came. After about 10 minutes I called a supervisor over to tell her the situation. She asked if I had called LP and I told her that I wasn't sure if he went to another lane, or if he used the overly crowded store to his advantage and took off with an item that cost over $350.
    She told me to wait a few more minutes, and if he didn't show to call LP. Shortly thereafter a friend came by to relieve me for my break and I told her the situation as well, and asked her what she thought I should do.
    She said to call LP.
    So I walked to an empty lane to use the phone and made the call, explaining th situation for the third time.
    Of course LP's response was, "You let someone walk away with unpaid merchandise?" but I really did what I could to keep an eye on them, but unfortunately I don't have the eyes in the back of my head that my mother seemed to when I was young.

So I wonder: could this man have jacked us for a $350+ item?

I didn't get in trouble for anything, since my supervisor agreed that I did what I could to watch out for him as well as keep an eye on the family, but I feel like such an ass.
    Last edited by rerant; 10-15-2007, 02:40 AM. Reason: added a story instead of making a new thread

A few years ago, on Christmas Eve, store closes at 4, a old lady tried that on the MOD. Of course 4 = 4:30 in SC mind so it was really like 4:15 no one wants to be their, except SC's. The old lady is trying to count out exact change for her $4.93 purchase she has the 4 one's and is digging through the purse for the .93. The MOD just take the .50-.60 or so in various change she has, throws it in the drawer and tells the lady it is close enough. It was not worth the extra time on Christmas eve to be short a little change.

Comment

Good lord, I hate people who try to help me count their change when I'm already in the process of counting it!

There was one old lady who was persistent enough about trying to help me count the pile of change she laid on the counter that I scooped up all of the change, grabbed her bag of merchandise, and moved to the back counter with it. It's just easier on me if they stand back and let me do it. I really can count it out pretty quick if left alone. I would have been more than happy to consolidate her change for her had she just left well enough alone.

A couple of other customers in line started laughing because they were tired of waiting.

She got mad, and started threatening to complain on me for being rude to her. I handed her a pen and paper, "The office number is on the window by the door. Go write it down while I count your money. Your stuff will be ready by the time you get done."

Of course she really didn't like that, and she continued to stand there whining about it. Then, I moved to the back counter to count the change. I set aside what I needed, and handed the rest of it back to her along with her merchandise.

"Who's next please?"

She still took forever getting herself together, intentionally, I'm sure, but the rest of us had some laughs.
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
      X