This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physio stories?

I'm trying to get my body moving again after nearly 2 years of not being able to do much. Despite loosing tons of weight (depression and not eating is not good for you) the spare tyre is back and my muscles hate anything more than a few minutes of light to medium impact work.

Well the physio was lovely today. Tried to get me to do 10 minutes on the lowest setting on the static bike. Within a minutes he'd moved me to another bike as I was struggling and set that one even lower.... Then he told me just to get to 5 minutes. I think the pain was showing a little too much.

Hopefully if I go in to the hospital gym at least once a week and do a few minutes that it will get easier.....
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

No physio stories, but I just wanted to say congrats for getting the ball started! I know it's hell right now, but it should get easier as you continue. Don't feel discouraged if you can't do what the physiotherapist sets for you at first - these things take time.

I'm so proud of you for getting out there and doing this!

Comment

Yah I don't have any stories either but I also want to say congrats on getting going. Not sure if you are or if you can, some music that makes you feel more pumped might help. Keep doing awesome!!

Comment

Thanks guys. Its half me trying to get it started since I've never been great at high impact (chest issues) and walking (the amount I can regularly do at least) can't touch my spare tyre. And half me saying "sod you" to the body which can't decide if its got CFS or is just lazy but mentally hyper....

I've only just changed doctors and actually got a provisional diagnosis further than "depression - take the drugs and reduce your stress and it will all be fineee..." in 2 years. Blood tests are on the way to rule out all the viral potentials and STD potentials. Thyroid, Adrenalin and the rest of my levels have all been checked. Physio was arranged by my last doctor as I said I couldn't lose weight due to the Fatigue and chest issues but I'm determined to still go through with it.

I just need to learn to pace myself. I'm not going back to that short while where I could barely walk... no way!
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

If your physio is doing his job right, you should hate him and hurl death threats at him at every appointment. Seriously.

When I was in high school (read 17 and bulletproof), my friends and I decided to free climb a 30 or so foot rock face. About 25 feet up, I slipped and fell, not only falling the initial 25 feet, but bouncing and rolling another 70 or so yards into a ravine. I had to relearn how to walk, and trust me when I say it was the most brutal experience I've ever had. I would happily give birth to a 20 pound baby without drugs, while having spikes stabbed into my eyeballs before doing that again.

Some things that will be exhausting, but will help make your appointments easier:

-Pace. When you're on the phone, pace back and forth in your kitchen for a minute or two (or longer if you can stand it.)

-Park a few spots farther back than you normally would and walk the extra distance to the store. Gradually park farther and farther back as your body can handle it.

-With approval from your provider, do some light weight training. By light weight training, I don't mean go get weight lifting equipment. I mean do things like curls, but with a small bottle of water or unopened canned vegetables.

-Be creative about adding steps to your regular daily routine. You'd be surprised how two steps here and two steps there can really add up. One thing I did when I got walking semi-okay was do "two steps up, one step down", while climbing stairs (if you do this, make sure the handrails are installed securely and that you actually use them.)

-I'm still in the habit of doing mild muscle toning exercises at my desk.

The point here is that little things add up. Maybe the first day you can only add 2 steps to your daily routine. After a few weeks, you might have been able to add enough steps to measure the distance in km. It's a long road, but worth it in the end.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
            If your physio is doing his job right, you should hate him and hurl death threats at him at every appointment. Seriously.
            lol. Its hard to hate him as I'll admit the guy is just a little cute (as is there whole team actually...lol).

I do the Pacing all the time. Cabin fever at times hits me hard and due to muscle aches sometimes its actually easier than trying to concentrate whilst sitting. I'm also trying to get to doing "that bit extra" when going to the shops too.

Weight training - well I'm getting hold of two short swords for my medieval group so that I can start training again as the single hand and hand and a half are too heavy and blade balanced so that should help when they arrive too.

I'm determined to keep moving. Trying to consider tidying the spare room today... my ass disagrees but maybe a few minutes at a time might work....

Comment

Something else I just thought of: stand up and sit down. From a sturdy chair with solid arm rests, keep your back straight and stand up slowly, then slowly lower yourself back down. Do that as many times as you can without causing discomfort. Repeat whenever you get bored.

Oh, and another thing: draw out the alphabet with your feet. Lift a leg off the floor, point your toes and try to draw the letters. Then do it with the other foot. As you get stronger, do it with both upper case and lower case letters.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Not so much a physio, but a chiropractor story from my mother today. We've been seeing this particular chiropractor for years and he's quite down to business. (He also suggests more practical ideas for prevention too )

My mother went over to the chiro and mentioned that she'd done something to her finger and it was aching constantly. Chiro took one look at it and proceeded to "Manipulate" my mother's finger back into place
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                  lol. Its hard to hate him as I'll admit the guy is just a little cute (as is there whole team actually...lol).

I do the Pacing all the time. Cabin fever at times hits me hard and due to muscle aches sometimes its actually easier than trying to concentrate whilst sitting. I'm also trying to get to doing "that bit extra" when going to the shops too.

Weight training - well I'm getting hold of two short swords for my medieval group so that I can start training again as the single hand and hand and a half are too heavy and blade balanced so that should help when they arrive too.

I'm determined to keep moving. Trying to consider tidying the spare room today... my ass disagrees but maybe a few minutes at a time might work....
                  When you haven't been physically active for a long time, it's the little things that can have great impact.

If you keep it consistent then you will gradually gain more endurance and be able to do more and more. Four years ago, I couldn't touch my toes. Now I can. I had to lower myself into a chair and push myself up like I was pregnant. I can sit and rise normally now. I still have a lot of weight to lose, but the muscle tone of my quads, glutes, and abs is so much stronger than it used to be.

I still get back spasms, especially when I'm doing a lot of lifting with house work. I injured my back at work years ago, and I think I tore something; I don't know that will ever completely go away but it's not the problem it used to be.

Doing the sword thing is a great idea. I do martial arts for the simple reason it is so much fun to me that I look forward to the effort. So I'm consistent with it and that's why I get good results.

Working out isn't work when you're doing something that's fun!

Gizmo, if you have health insurance, investigate getting a psychologist or therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy. Meds are great but ideally a short term solution to help you while you work on the core problems making you depressed in the first place. If you don't work on the why of your depression, it is less likely you will be able to master it.

However, the exercise is a step in the right direction. It will make you feel good via the endorphin rush, and that will motivate you to keep moving.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I did almost 3 years of swimming pool based physio that was the most comfortable physio of my entire life. See if you can get a recommendation/prescription to aquatic therapy.

It sounds dumb as hell, but is great. As I vaguely remember, I walked the width of the pool [um, 6 lanes, however long that is] about 20 times using different walking and marching styles. Then staying in one place and holding the edge of the pool for balance in my case we did about 15 minutes of more or less deep knee bends but varying between slowly and rapidly, and holding in place and such. Then we strapped on a float belt and grabbed a pair of pool noodles and sort of leg dogpaddled to the deep end and did different sorts of leg movements sort of like non jumping jumping jacks. Total of about an hour of putzing around in the pool, but it improved my range of motion and whatever they were measuring by about 5%, which was considered excellent. I didn't care what improved or not, I just wanted the activity.

Ah, going through the wiki, it seems I used the Burdenko method. I can *highly* recommend this to anybody. I lust after the money to do this again, my damned copay was like $80 a week for 2 sessions per week for a run of 36 sessions. Actually, I lust for winning a lottery that would let me set up a personal physio building out back of the house with the quarter olympic pool, equipment, massage table, sauna, hot tub and personal trainer that can do this with me 5 days per week =)
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      When you haven't been physically active for a long time, it's the little things that can have great impact.

Gizmo, if you have health insurance, investigate getting a psychologist or therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy. Meds are great but ideally a short term solution to help you while you work on the core problems making you depressed in the first place. If you don't work on the why of your depression, it is less likely you will be able to master it.
                      Very true. having never been athletic its not easy.

I also do some martial arts with the friend so that also helps. Most of the physical abilities I've got back are due to working on the martial arts side.

Depression is mostly sorted and usually only crops up when the physical drops me. I worked on it alot during the divorce and and still keep working on it now. A few bits of anxiety remain but situational and I'm working through those. Unfortunately NHS is the issue here - they hate giving out support unless you are still near suicidal or at lockup mentality level (at least in my experience and in friends I know.)

Accounting Drone - I keep meaning to do swimming stuff with a couple of friends. One of those things thats its an uphill struggle to actually get out there and do but going to try to start it properly soon.

Comment

Every little bit helps. Your pacing, you sword practice, all of it. Get out of the chair. Move around. Stretch.

And now that you have shamed me, I am going to get up from in front of the computer and do something.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I agree about the sword practice. Something fun is always going to be more effective than something you dread, simply because you're going to be more inclined to do it. I also agree with the swimming. Swimming really works out your muscles, but in a low impact way, so it's not as hard on the rest of your body.

Comment

I'll second the swimming part. When I'm not doing martial arts, swimming is my favorite workout (except in winter).

I like to practice my kicks in the water. I'll do 10 on each leg: front snap kick, roundhouse kick, sidekick, back kick, and spinning kick. The water helps my balance so I can focus on technique, and also provides resistance.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                            X