Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brrrrrr! (plus, I'm thankful for past jobs).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brrrrrr! (plus, I'm thankful for past jobs).

So today I was getting ready for work at 5am (as per usual) and when I looked at the weather widget on my phone, it said 8 degrees F. I like my job and respect my coworkers (plus I have this annoying thing called a work ethic) so saying "heck with that" going back to bed wasn't an option. Given I commute via public transit and have two transfers that involve waiting outside, I am SO thankful I used to work at Lands End. They make the BEST winter gear. With my LE fleece jacket under my LE Squall coat (the coat retails at $160 MSRP, and I got it for $5 at the store closing sale) plus some long johns (excuse me, "thermal pants") under insulated windbreaker-fabric warm-up sweatpants, I didn't feel the cold at all. Which is good because our high today is 18 and I need to get cat litter on the way home. I may also stop at Ross and see if I can find some wool socks (hubby is tires of my stealing his, which I did today...sorry babey).

How's the weather where you are, and how are you coping with it? Any tips on budget winter clothing?
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 11-27-2015, 02:10 PM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I live in Northern Virginia, where if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.

That said, after a cold spell (well, I say cold, when it juuust dipped into the 20s F) earlier this week, it's now hovering in the 60s.

And sooner or later, Jester will pop up to get smug about the weather in Key West.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Yesterday, I was wearing sandals. Even in Arkansas, that's unusual. It's suppose to be cooler today, but I'm not seeing it... nope, 69 here. Rainy, soggy, irritating. Use to be, November was when it was actually cold enough for coats. Mine are still all packed up.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

It's rainy and icky here. I think the temperature is expected to drop into the low 30s this weekend. It rarely gets much colder than that though. The fun part will be when I go to Montana. Fortunately, I'm doing a bit better on winter clothing than I was last year. Anything I'm missing, I can just get at the Walmart. Warm socks are at the top of the list.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

It was 60 here yesterday. Unseasonably warm but who cares!

I once got a Lands End down coat at a nearby thrift shop for about $10. I loved that coat; and then the cleaners destroyed it. I was able to find a similar one for about $20 at a consignment shop. So that's my tip: Check consignment shops and thrift shops for good deals on heavy duty winter clothing.

Oh, and re: boots. If they don't say 'waterproof' (not 'resistant') they aren't worth the money.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It's been in the upper 20s lower 30s at night, and maybe in the low 40s during the day. I'm loving it so much. After the stupid hot summer, I bask in this weather. Next week it's supposed to be in the mid 40s with rain, and guess what? I will love that too! Can you tell I don't like extended hot, dry, weather? Give me rain and humidity any day. Though not like Florida humidity, the dew point is too high there.

I have no tips, though I have been considering buying either knee socks, or a cheap pair of tights for extra warmth on me feet and legs.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

2 degrees Celsius here, feeling like minus 8.

Yesterday was so warm, about 12 degrees Celsius, that the Christmas Market was packed after my friends and I finished dinner at a local pub that was in the district that was hosting the event.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Today, the high was 6 degrees Celsius and it was sunny with little wind. Wonderful, basically.

The weekend isn't looking as hot. High of 2 but still sunny, only 10km wind chill. I guess it could be worse.

Comment

Highs in the mid-50s this week, lows at or below freezing.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I live in a state where one of the "You might be from <my state> if you get sunburned and frost bite on the same July Day.".
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

8 degrees already? We don't get that until January, usually. Anyway...so I know those functional/sporty garments do the job, but I have a soft spot for vintage-inspired girly clothes. I do have a huge sleeping bag with sleeves and when it gets below +5 I break it out. I wear it, but I don't like it.

But otherwise I wear either my brocade coat with the faux fur collar (sooo warm!), my light-weight wool ruffled military (cute contradiction), or very occasionally my full-length mid-weight wool with the huge hood.
                      They will work for the 30s and above. Any temp below that and I have to wear my faux fur jacket or a sweater underneath. I wear skirts often, but knee-high boots, socks, and tights keep me warmer than when I wear pants. With pants you only have that one layer of fabric between you and the cold.
                      I don't really feel the cold unless it's windy and/or in the single digits. I guess I'm acclimated.
                      I'm going to be looking for one of those big wraps to replace my skinny scarves. It will keep my neck and shoulders warmer, fit under my coat, and protect my vintage hair from the wind.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Layers. But I think I have hot flashes or something. I'm usually comfortable or even warm when other people say they're cold.

I may or may not have stolen my dad's Carhartt jacket. Don't think he even notices. I've never seen him wear it.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The weather here can't make up it's mind so I generally have to wear layers. It can start out below zero in the morning and then rise into the early double digits by mid afternoon, or it can start out near the double digits in the morning and be below zero by the time I escape work at 3pm. But it can also veer all over the weather map from warm and sunny to cold and blowy to wet and windy within the span of about 20 minutes. I keep a toque, scarf, and gloves tucked into my purse at all times because you just never know.

Comment

I have a hat and gloves in the pockets of all my winter coats. Otherwise I lose them like it's going out of style. I bought plaid and houndstooth gloves so I can look all classy and shit.

Off topic, now I want green Converse sneakers but I can't find them in half sizes.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              ... Off topic, now I want green Converse sneakers but I can't find them in half sizes.
                              Raise moss on some white ones.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X