This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't talk about your customers next to them

We were at Village inn last night for dinner. The server seemed pretty nice, if not a bit scatterbrained.

when she took our orders, she wrote everything down, and read it back very clearly. Everything she read off of her memo pad was correct.

when the food came, everything was right except for my daughter. she had ordered some monster of a hamburger that had two patties, bacon, 2 kinds of cheese and onion rings on it. She received a small cheeseburger. As soon as the food was dropped, I said "Oh this is just a cheeseburger, she ordered the other burger". The server acknowledged this, and asked if she could just bring out all the other components and let my daughter assemble it herself. We said that was ok. The manager came over as well to ask if it was ok. We again said it was no problem. The manager said she would only charge us the cheeseburger price, instead of giant burger price. We said "oh, thank you!"

We are eating, and I notice the women in the booth behind us glancing back at us a lot. So I get nosy and start paying attention. They are not quiet. The customer starts talking about people who complain when their order isn't right. The server then says

"Oh I KNOW. I mean I read EVERYTHING back to them and they approved it. so it's like I'm SO sorry you approved the wrong hamburger" really sarcastic like.

when she saw me looking at her, she turned red and excused herself from the table. with all the side eye coming from her and that table, it's pretty obvious they were talking about us. It appears that the table and her know each other outside of customer/server/

I'm positive she wrote down our order correctly. It's called "All world double cheeseburger", which other than the word cheeseburger, is not close to any other item on the menu. When she read it back, she had it right. I figure that she just pushed the wrong button when on the order screen. And it wasn't a big deal on our end, shit happens. We weren't upset, weren't planning on complaining. At least I wasn't upset until I heard her talking shit less than 4 feet away from us.

I really wanted to say something. But I didn't. She knew she was over heard, and by the way she avoided our table for the rest of the evening, I know she was worried about it. I did still tip her.

today I find it more on the funny side, because how many of us have bitched about customers to other customers that we know in the past. Last night I was pretty annoyed. I'm glad I didn't say anything. I'm pretty sure she is pretty new and this will probably be something she remembers.

Honestly, you were nicer than I would have been. I'd have probably left a minimum tip and a note stating, "Next time pay attention to what you're writing down." Or I'd have called her on it when I heard her talking to the other customers and pointed out the difference between what the burger is called on the menu, which she repeated to you, and what your daughter actually got.

I can forgive honest mistakes, and if they attempt to correct it, I'm happy. But trash-talking me within my hearing? NOPE.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Duuuuude. You want to go there? Fine. Show me your notepad. Let's see what you wrote down, since you read it correctly I bet it doesn't say "small cheeseburger." Actually, no. Ask the manager for the waitresses notepad and explain exactly why you want to see it. Sorry, trash talking about me like a bunch of tweens in gym class is going to piss me off. Also I'm in a bad mood.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I had CWs who would do that, and it drove me nuts! yes, we had annoying customers, but you don't talk about them while they are still there! One former manager had a bad habit too of complaining if a customer brought a return, and happened to be say the 4th or 5th person in a row with one. Not their fault at all, but she'd mutter, loud enough for everyone to hear "another freaking return, that's all we get...." really? How about being a bit more professional, and not punishing the customer for doming something they're allowed to!

Comment

Working...
        X