This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The security equivalent of "it must be free"

so as a happy little security guard, my job entails, sitting in a metal cube(1) (usually on my phone, tweeting, watching youtube, or reading) and signing in/screening(checking for smuggled pets, hellfire missles, monkeys)transport trucks and contracted employees(also ship crew and visitors/repair people/inspectors, did you know there are people who's sole job is to ensure country flags are flying to regulation?).

Now signing in and screening requires me to leave my happy little cube and sally forth into nature. New Jersey has had an unseasonably hot summer(so bad I cut my waist length hair to a pixie cut), and now we've had rain, lots of rain. Which means at work blaquekatt is now drowned rat most days.

Anyway, we have a company(contractor S) that goes through two shift changes during my shift, 10 employees staffed on site, so 10 in and 10 out twice a day for a total of 40 vehicle/badge checks. Now somehow it takes both the incoming shifts an hour to trickle in, which is understandable, HOWEVER it ALSO takes both outgoing shifts an hour to leave. As in entire first shift is in and at their stations, outgoing third shift leaves at maybe five minute intervals for NO GOOD REASON(I've asked), which means for these 40 people I'm STANDING IN THE RAIN(or heat, or cold) FOR NEARLY FOUR HOURS(out of a 12 hour shift also screening around 80 transfer trucks between)! Or else I'm stuck running in and out with maybe a minute or two inside between cars.

Without fail EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE PEOPLE: "stay dry/warm/cool" While I'm drenched so bad from rain or sweat that it's dripping off me, or I'm shivering because of the cold. Yes make a nice platitude but don't say DO anything to ensure it's possible. The previous contractors that did the same job actually coordinated with each other and either carpooled, waited down the street, or just all arrived/left together. Seriously, you've completed your 8 hours, you're no longer getting paid, WHY ON EARTH would you want to hang out at work* for 20-45 minutes AFTER?

These contractors have managed to piss off nearly EVERYONE that has to work with them, but this is already long enough.

*oil refineries are NOT happening hotspots, much less a dingy drafty trailer IN an oil refinery.

(1) current shack is similar(different roof and door-contains bathroom-yayness!) to this
    Previous shack was this abomination in white with a crappy door that didn't shut, mine is on bing streetview, I'm actually inside it.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

I covered a shift at a site with a guard shack...it was downright claustrophobic! I think I'll keep my front desk spot. And at least I don't have to go outside at all if the weather is horrible. I'm also glad that any contractors that come on site don't make a habit of hanging around after their shift!

You need to find a warm, cozy site where you don't have to go outside very often *nods emphatically*

Comment

Um, is it just me, or does the 2nd one resemble a port-a-potty?
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I guess there's only so many different ways to build a fibreglass people holder.
        ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
          I guess there's only so many different ways to build a fibreglass people holder.
          it's better than the little glass coffin at main gate.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

That looks like it could be incredibly cold in the winter and sweltering in the summer. Nope, couldn't do it. It makes me love my semi-air-conditioned front desk security gig that much more.

Comment

Front desk is also dispatch(recording radio calls in system, gate opening/closing), making badges, weighing in trucks, answering phones. I just write name, plate number, time, where you are going, hand out the occasional visitor badge(we have a total of 7 visitor badges, main gate has 50, and they run out regularly), and the AC and heat is constantly on the fritz up there. My partner spent a year in the LGC, he said the heat was so strong he couldn't shut the door or he'd cook.

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Um, is it just me, or does the 2nd one resemble a port-a-potty?

there's ones that ARE port-a-pottys

Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-01-2016, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I saw one of those little glass coffins that had been rotated 90°+ by a semi coming in the gate.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Did the semi rotate it around the roll axis (knocked on its side away from the "in" driveway), pitch axis (knocked on its back away from "outside" side of the fence), or the yaw axis (still standing, but spun around)?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Did the semi rotate it...
                    They got their Ya-Yas out...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I HATE being outdoors in bad weather and we don't have a car. I've actually timed my morning commute so that I transfer trains at Union Station where's there's a heated pavilion. My last train > bus transfer happens to be at a light rail station where there's an elevator, which is tolerable as a place to hide from the cold in. I'm very thankful for that.

Can you wear a poncho or rain coat outside? Greens of Wall has some that actually work well (I have one stashed in my wheelie at all times) and are reasonably priced. A black umbrella works well to keep the heat off, or you could get one of those silly (yet practical) ones that are built into a hat if you need both hands.
                      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                        Can you wear a poncho or rain coat outside?
                        Work provides a standard *yellow rain slicker* that everyone wears, so it's torn up, and a size 2xl men's(because they order to fit the biggest guard), so on me it's a trip hazard and doesn't close. I bought my own with reflective stripes because I'm out in the dark, being proper size it stops at mid shin, and being fabric as opposed to plastic it gets soaked through sometimes.

And currently we don't have anything to hang them on to dry

Comment

Working...
                        X