This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working for the Post Office

Hi, I'm from the UK and work for the Post Office. I've worked in retail pretty much since leaving school, but the some of the customers I come across these days really are too stupid for words.

Now I've only worked for the Post Office for 6 months, but already I could write a book regarding the encounters I've had with stupid, thick, ignorant, smelly customers.

I'll share some with you, which are high up on my "Customers Suck!" list.

Indian Guy with Giro Cheque

* A Giro for people who don't know is a Benefit Cheque *

Me: Good Morning

Customer: (Without saying a word, slides a Giro at me for £600)

Me: (I check the Giro and notice that it has a Woman's name and address on it. I check the back and there's no signature.)

Me: Is this your wife's Giro

Customer: Yes, my wife - you give me £600.

Me: I'm afraid I can't, you need to get your wife to sign in that box there (pointing it out) to say shes allowing somebody to cash it on her behalf. Then you need to sign that box there (again pointing it out) and then you need to bring with you 2 forms of ID. One from your wife and one from yourself.

Customer: No, No, No!!! you give me £600 right now.

*** Now if your cashing your own Giro and it's over £100, then you need to produce Identification like a Driving License or Passport. Anything less then £100 and it's at the cashiers discretion. If your cashing it on behalf of somebody then it doesn't matter if it's for £600 or £6. We need to see ID from both parties. ***

Me: I can't give you the money until you have done what I've explained.

Customer: My money, you give it to me right now.

Me: Well the cheque is made out in your wife's name so technically it's her money.

Customer: (He then stands their, acting dumb waiting for the money)

*** I then call for my manager, who then spent 5 minutes trying to explain what I've already told him ***

Customer: You Racist!!! then muttered something in Indian while looking at me. (Then stormed off)

Woman with Passport Application Form

One of the services offered by the Post Office is a Passport Application Check and Send Service.

Customer: Can you check my passport form

Me: (I take one look at it and hand it back) Sorry you will have to fill out a new form....

Customer: GOD, why?

Me: You've filled it out in Blue ink and it clearly states (pointing out the BIG BOLD LETTERS) Black Ink Only

Customer: Does it Matter, I mean really! What bloody difference does it make.

Me: Well, when these get sent off to the Passport Office they get scanned by a machine and the machine will only pick read BLACK ink.

Customer:Well what do you want me to DO!

Me: Heres a blank application form, fill it out in Black ink and keep everything in the white boxes.

Customer: Can't you just send it off anyway? I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks

Me: Well I could but i'll tell you now that THEY will just return it to you and you wouldn't be allowed to claim your £7 checking fee back.

Customer: Right, give me the form i'll be back after dinner.

4 hours pass and in she comes again.

Me: (I take a look at the form and I nearly bloke down) No love, what have you done now.

Customer: Why whats up i've written it out in black.

Me: You've just written over the blue ink in black. Why didn't you just fill out the new form I gave you. Look, you can still she blue ink.

Customer: I didn't fill out a new form because I would of had to go and get my form counter signed again.

Me: Well, if you want a passport your going to have to redo the form because it looks a right mess.

Customer: WASTE OF BLOODY TIME

Me: Look, your paying us £7 to check and send off your forms. I'm just explaining the mistakes you've done.

Customer: Check the rest of the form before I go.

Me: (I then check the rest of the form and then the photos and notice that the person who counter signed her application hadn't signed the back of one of her photos. - I explained this and she went mental)

Customer: So your telling me I've got to go all the way back to my doctor to get him to sign my photo.

Me: I'm afraid so. Your going to have to get your form signed again anyway.

Customer: I shouldn't have to go though all this CRAP - I'm A British Citizen!!

Car Tax Woman

Not sure how other countries work, but in the UK you need to pay Road Tax (most people call it Car Tax) to be able to drive a Car/Motorcycle on public roads. You can buy 6 months or 12 months, you get a Tax Disc which you've got to show in your window. The price depends on the type of car/bike e.c.t. A small motorbike only costs £15 a year, where as a large car can cost over £200 a year.

Now to be able to Tax a car you need to produce a Valid Insurance Certificate and a M.O.T Certificate. If your car/bike is over 3 years old you need to have it checked out every year to test to see if it's road worthy, if it passes you get issued a Certificate.

Anyway this woman comes in and wants 12 months road tax.

Me: Can I see your Insurance and MOT.

Customer: Here you go

Me: I'm afraid your insurance has expired (handing her documents to her)

Customer: Oh it's in the post

Me: I can't Tax your car without a valid insurance certificate.

Customer: BUT i've got Insurance, I've told you it's in the post.

Me: Thats all very well, but without proof in front of me I'm afraid I can't just take your word for it.

Customer: YOUR just being stupid now. I've got insurance, just tax my car.

Me: Your going to have to come back once you've recieved your new documents.

Customer: BUT i'm going on Holiday tomorrow and if I don't tax my car before I go I'm going to recieve a Fine for not taxing my car.

Me: Can't you get somebody else to do it for you.

Customer: NO, Nobody I can trust.

Me: Do you keep your car on the road or on private property

Customer: I keep it in my garage

Me: Well then, all I can recommend is that you Declare your car off the road.

Customer: Too much mucking around (while grabbing all her stuff and storming off)

JUST then she turns round and storms back up to me

Customer: No No, I'm not having this!!! I'm not leaving until you tax my car.. I want to speak to a manager.

Me: I can get my manager for you, but theres no point because shes going to tell you the same thing i've just told you.

Customer: Get your manager!

I go in the back office and explain things to her, she comes out goes straight over to the woman.

Manager: I believe you want to tax your car, can I see your insurance please.

Customer: Here BUT......

Manager: It's out of date by a month come back when you have your new certificate.

Customer: (She storms off shouting and swearing like a little kid couldn't have any chocolate)

Hey..... the joys of working with the general public. Half of them are too stupid for words.

More stories to follow

Very nice to see someone else in public service.

Your stories sound so similar to mine, though I've got to say that I'm glad the library I work in isn't one that processes passports ... we voted that down unanimously! It's hard enough to get people to give you a photo ID and proof of residency for a library card, so I can relate. I can't wait to read some more!
    I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

well, then, stay in Britain and you won't have to worry about it!

and, she waited until 2 weeks before her vacation to do her passport?
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Something I've noticed about the general public, no matter the nation:

People seem to think that if they cannot get something out of you, your manager can surely give it to them no problem. I constantly tell people that no, my supervisor will tell them pretty much the exact same thing, but they usually still want to wait 5-15 minutes for me to get one on the phone to talk to them, and eight times out of ten they end up screaming and swearing at the manager or hanging up in a hissy fit after being told *gasp* exactly the same thing I just said.

Lesson of the Year: Managers usually have to follow rules more than normal employees. SOMETIMES they can bend rules, but only if they're nice and you're not screaming/yelling/swearing.

*sigh* Some days it's almost enough to make me want to throw things at people. Almost. If you could only do it over the phone I'd be a rich person, simply selling that ability to phone reps.
        Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

I wanted to be able to strangle them through the phone line.
          Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Quoth UK Worker View Post
            Come to the states. We're making even more hoops for our citizens to jump through as we speak!

Not sure how other countries work, but in the UK you need to pay Road Tax (most people call it Car Tax) to be able to drive a Car/Motorcycle on public roads.
            They're called liscensing fees in North America. Good for a year. Varies from $25ish up to percentage of vehicle value (can exceed $300 for standard vehicles. Don't want to think about what a high-luxury vehicle would run).

Plus various states have toll roads, too.

Comment

Too bad we can't spay and neuter our idiots and jerks like we fix our pets.......
              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                well, then, stay in Britain and you won't have to worry about it!

and, she waited until 2 weeks before her vacation to do her passport?
                When they use our service it says a usual 2 week turn around.... but it's not set in stone and that just proves that some people havn't got the brains they were born with.

Passport checking is the worst part of my job, I'm just hoping it dies down a bit come winter.

Comment

The sad thing is that most insurance companies have the ability to send you an electronic form through e-mail, off the web, or at the worse case if you're nice to the agency, they can fax you the information which might have been good enough.

Stupid twit
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

When they use our service it says a usual 2 week turn around.... .
                    Daniel: How'd you get a passport in one day?
                    Mr. Miyagi: Have next day plane ticket.

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
                      Something I've noticed about the general public, no matter the nation:

People seem to think that if they cannot get something out of you, your manager can surely give it to them no problem.
                      Also, the best time to get anything done, no matte what it is, is at the last possible second before it is impossible or far more difficult for you to do.

My wife is leaving for Belgium TODAY. TODAY. She's known about the trip for well over a month now (more like two months). So, when did she tell me that *I* had to go to the bank to exchange some money for Euros? When she frist knew about the trip? Nope. When she got the money for the trip? Nope.

TWO DAYS AGO. She thought the banks held an unlimited supply of foreign currency in each location. Uh-huh, they had to order it, luckily they could overnight it, but that cost me an extra $20.

When did she need ME to go to the hospital to pick up a pescription then have it reflled? LAST NIGHT. I also had to drive to 4 pharmacies to get it.

Of course, every day we had people in my store demanding we just give them a new phone since they need to be on a plane in 45 minutes (hint: nearest airport is about 45 minutes away, no way in HELL you'll be on a plane by then).
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Customer: You Racist!!! then muttered something in Indian while looking at me. (Then stormed off)
                        His last name wasn't Patel by any chance, was it?
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Uk worker, you have my sympathy. I visit the post office quite often, and there are usuaully long queues and people's tempers are getting frayed. The amount of different things you have to deal with, like car tax, various sorts of mail, benefits, TV licences, pensions, insurance, credit cards, bank accounts, passports, foreign currency... Everything must have cut off date, cut off times, identification requirements, proof of this, proof of that.... all must create the suckiest customers imaginable.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Now i know why the lines are so long. Add in the simply slow, and dim, and lonely old ladies just wanting a chat and its easy to see why the staff are always harried and it always takes ages.

I got my passport in 2 days flat, so there.
                            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                            - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
                              Too bad we can't spay and neuter our idiots and jerks like we fix our pets.......
                              Oh, we CAN. It's just not usually legal.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X