This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth UK Worker View Post
    The TV License somebody mentioned above is just THAT... In the UK if own a TV set you need to buy a License and costs around £12 a month.
    It gets interesting if you don't own a television. I've had to tell them that I don't have one, and I received a rather charming, red-bordered letter to say that I'd better not be lying and that they would be checking up on me.

If they put programmes on that were worth watching, of course...

Raspcallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      It gets interesting if you don't own a television. I've had to tell them that I don't have one, and I received a rather charming, red-bordered letter to say that I'd better not be lying and that they would be checking up on me.
      Ah! Now I get it. I was trying to figure out how they kept track of who has a television, and who does not.

Where I am we still have annual dog licences, and one-time cat licences. I'm not sure exactly why...
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

The Post Office is part of the Royal Mail Group and I agree the postal service is very good and not as bad as people make out. A letter to Australia only costs 79p and a first class inland stamp costs 34p.

Crazy UK Government...... it wasn't that long ago we had to have a License to own a Radio and even a DOG License was needed years ago.
        I completely forgot....I just recently sent a b-day card to the Duke of Hamilton (we have the same b-day!) and it only cost 92-cents! Not even a freakin' dollar!

And we have dog licenses here, too. Albuquerque even has the somewhat idiot HART ordinance. Which means, unless you pay more for an "intact" animal license, you have to get your animal spayed or neutered. There's even one part that dictates how many toys your bird must have. But Mayor Marty said they weren't going to enforce that part.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

The dog licence over here was done away with back in the eighties if I remember right. It used to be the butt of jokes, since TV licences are of different costs for colour and black&white sets, so people joked about getting black and white dogs for cheaper licences.

Yes, it wasn't that funny even back then.

However, when it was a licenced animal, you had to report to the police if you ran over a dog. You don't have to now. I've never known a cat licence in the UK, but I may be too young to know about one.

Rapscallion

Comment

License for this and a License for that.... One License I wish they would bring out is one to stop these tramps getting Pregnant so they can get a HOUSE and Child Benefit.

I see them all the time at the Post office, bragging about how much money they are raking in and discussing ways to get even more money from the system. They get more money then I do per week and they have hardly any bills too pay. What does the money go on... errr, holidays, hair highlights, clubbing.

Comment

Ah UK Worker, I sympathise with you. I use the Post Office quite a bit and the people in there never cease to amaze me. I went in today to pick up some stamps (I needed odd ones like 54p otherwise I'd have picked them up at the supermarket) and there was some little old guy quibbling over his lottery. Apparently he thought he'd won £10 but the lottery machine kept "uh-uh, no". Nice staff member trying to explain it to him but he was having none of it. Queue is out the door and the poor lady is on by herself (on a Saturday?!). Everyone huffing and puffing about this little old man. Eventually, after 10 minutes, he gives in. Apparently it had been going on longer and I'd come in half way through. UK Worker - I salute you and your bravery in working for the PO!
              Idiot-proofing myself since 1997

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                Which means, unless you pay more for an "intact" animal license, you have to get your animal spayed or neutered.
                Wow, that's...that's an excellent idea. I mean, I wouldn't like to pay a dog license, but if there was a license only for people who did not have spayed/neutered pets, that would be great. We need some kind of deterrent over here. Feral animals and the animals destroyed in shelters ever day, it's disgusting. So much waste because people don't fix Pierre the poodle, and then the basenji next door goes into heat...

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                  Ah! Now I get it. I was trying to figure out how they kept track of who has a television, and who does not.
                  They have a database of every address in the UK, and check up on any address that has not got a licence. They also use 'detector' vans.

Interestingly a blind person gets a 50% reduction in their TV licence.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                    Interestingly a blind person gets a 50% reduction in their TV licence.
                    Well, they can still listen.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

BTW as far as I know, the TV license applies to anything with a tunner in it, not just a TV, por example it would apply to a computer with a tuner card, or a vcr.
                      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Yes, although you can get exemptions if you just use your TV set as a CCTV monitor or the like.

Comment

I had another Customer from hell the other day regarding Passports.

The story was that she was applying for her first passport and the name on her application form was different to that on her Birth Certificate. OK no big problem, women get married and take on her husbands surname. In that case they need to send their Marriage Certificate off too.

Only this women didn't have her Marriage Certificate anymore because she got divorced. Found it a tad strange that she would continue to use her husbands surname when no longer married - but hey thats nothing to do with me and each to their own.

Anyway, she went apeshit, freaking out and calling the post office staff a waste of space because she came in a few days earlyer to have it checked, she made some mistakes on the form and the clerk who served her never told her about the marriage certificate.

I told her in clear english..... If the name on your Application is different then that on your Birth Certificate then you need to provide proof of the change for example Marriage Certificate or DeedPoll Certificate.

I said the only thing you can do is fill out a new application form but use the name on your birth certificate. Her excuss was that her bank account and driving license is in THAT name and she wants her Passport in that name too.

I told she couldn't have the passport in that name unless you provide a marriage license, she freaked again saying she doesn't have it because shes divorced. I also mensioned that she could change her surname via Deedpoll for around £15... she freaked some more about the added cost.

Before storming off in a huff, she shouted I can't even get out of my god damn country but it's SOOOOOOO easy for people to GET IN!!!!!!!!!.

Which is true... but thats another story

Comment

Only this women didn't have her Marriage Certificate anymore because she got divorced. Found it a tad strange that she would continue to use her husbands surname when no longer married - but hey thats nothing to do with me and each to their own.
                            Convenience?

For the sake of the kids?

Because she can/wants to?
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                              They're called liscensing fees in North America. Good for a year. Varies from $25ish up to percentage of vehicle value (can exceed $300 for standard vehicles. Don't want to think about what a high-luxury vehicle would run).
                              I remember, when my former boss got his Lexus LS430 the license fee was over 700 bucks the first year. I know another guy who has a Rolls who last time I checked payed over 5000 bucks (yup 5 grand) a year for the license fee. Fuggan hell it must be nice to have stupid amounts of money!

License for this and a License for that.... One License I wish they would bring out is one to stop these tramps getting Pregnant so they can get a HOUSE and Child Benefit.
                              I believe that would be a called a "FUCKING LICENSE" and I do agree

Back to the UK TV License, is it per TV, or per household. What if you have 4 TV's in your house but only pay for one license. How do they know that you have multiples? I am becoming intrigued!
                              My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

TV licence is per household.

Comment

Working...
                                X