X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really was that really necessary???

Hello all

Good day to you all!! I am a long time lurker and I have a story to tell

Let me give you a quick background on myself................... I currently am a SAHM to 3 girls. I have worked in the service industry (delicatessen) for 5 years. Before that a few clothing store jobs here and there. Then on to the Dental office as a dental assistant for 7 years.

I have run inot more than a few of the SCs. But this story is aobut what was said to me in a grocery store while I was shopping.

Ok had my 3 yr old (for the story we will call her babyA) and my 1 yr. old (babyB)
    Well Baby A had asked for grapes and I got a bag from the display. I tried to rush as fast as I could throught the store. We got done what we needed to in the store so we headed to check out.

Baby A and baby B were getting a bit restless but not so much to disrubt customers. Well I started to put the items we had on the belt when both of them started to cry. I told Baby A that I had to get her out and pay for the stuff. Well she didn't want to leave her favorite grapes behind so she grabbed the bag. By the wrong end and all them spilled on the floor. Now I am irritated.

So I bend down and pick them up. Lady in front of me (no one behind me) just stares at me. I thought it was a bit odd but she just looks on. Baby A sees the candy and I catch what she is looking at. (darn the folks to heck who thought it was a good idea that they put candy in the checkout isle) She says "Mommy can I." I stop her right there and tell her in a stern voice NO. (not yelling. Just incase I change my mind about 30 seconds later she asks again. Again I tell her NO. Ok all the grapes are done being picked up and the HAG in front of me leans down to my 3 year old and says " I am sorry you have such a mean angry Mommy"

Can you believe that?? It was obvious I was a bit overwhelmed and this lady spews this venom from her nasty mouth! You know a few nice words would have gone way further than the garbage she said. And to say that to a 3 year old??? I was too upset to say anything. Even if I wanted to say anything she walked away too fast.

The checkout guy and bagging girl were in shock like I was. THey could not believe that this woman just said what she did.

Now my ?? is is this a shining example of a SC????

That woman was definitely a Buttinsky at the very least - sticking her nose in where 1) it wasn't wanted, and 2) interfering with a parent that is clearly doing her JOB as a parent (i.e., teaching kids they can't always have everything they want all at once).

I will compliment parents and/or their kids if I see them in public teaching their kids good manners and the like; I figure they need all the help and encouragement they can get what with all the poor examples of what parenting should NOT be out there!
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth Hopefull7 View Post
      Baby A sees the candy and I catch what she is looking at. (darn the folks to heck who thought it was a good idea that they put candy in the checkout isle)
      well the candy bars are put by the registers because they sell there, if you have 250 "well, it's only a dollar"s a day that's about $90,000 a year, which in a store like wal mart isn't much, but it's a little something extra, and you wouldn't do that with health food. that's why it's called impulse buys, candy and magazines do well there, how many times have you bought that 54 cent candy bar at wal mart?(or comparable if you don't happen to shop at wal mart)
      Last edited by Ree; 09-29-2007, 11:45 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

That drives me nuts, when people butt in like that about other people's kids. My sister in law has taken her 2 year old daughter to the store, and occasionally, because she's 2, she'll have a tantrum about something, and her mother will just ignore her, to teach her it won't get her anywhere. Of course there are people that will come up to her and tell her she's a bad mother. The exact same thing has happened to other people I know. My mom says these people probably have never had children of their own.

However, when I was little, I was at McDonalds with my mother, and an old man came up to us and told my mother he wanted to buy me ice cream because I was so well behaved and I reminded him of his own children when they were little. I still remember that, it was really nice.
        It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
        -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I stopped at the store the other day and happened to get in the "No Candy Aisle" line...there was a nice display of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies, though
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Ok all the grapes are done being picked up and the HAG in front of me leans down to my 3 year old and says " I am sorry you have such a mean angry Mommy"
            "And I am sorry you feel the need to stick your nose into other people's business!" Geez, you were understandably flustered because your kid spilled grapes all over the place and you had to clean up the mess; this makes you a "mean angry Mommy"?! You were more polite than I would've been; I would've ripped that hag several new ones.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

" I am sorry you have such a mean angry Mommy"
              It's a good thing you're not me, because that woman would STILL be hearing what I'd have to say to her about that.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I have 3 kids that are between the ages of 6 and 3. There have been times I have had people come up and try to tell my kids that I am a mean mommy when I tell them they can not have candy or a soda at the check out. The best one I think i told the kids no and another customer looked at my kids and said "Well wan't the mean of your mom to not let you have candy?"

My 6 year old looked right at her and said "You don't know my mom you have no right to say that about her, maybe she doesn't want us to spoil or dinner so shut your face."

I tried to yell at him for being so rude to the lady but the look on her face was one of total shock and I was fighting back the laughter.

Comment

You know, the day someone says something along these lines to my child in a store is the day ya'll will be reading about me in the news. You will be able to do a simple websearch using the key words "unbelievable violence" "blood everywhere" "eating through a tube from now on" and "her other eye was found a mile and a half away" and possibly "heifer discovered that until today, she really DIDN'T know what the word 'mean' meant."

I mean,

Some stranger talks to my baby it better be about rainbows and unicorns and little singing rays of sunshine. And they damn well better smile while they are doing it.

Glad to have you join us, btw.

Comment

I was shopping on Saturday and some cow was slowly cruising around the store with a la-la-land look on her face while her baby -- I'm guessing around 8 months -- periodically SHREIKED at the top of his incredibly healthy little lungs. Wonder what it would have taken to get her attention. By the way, the acoustics in your average grocery are truly amazing.

I bit my tongue. A lot.

As I was putting my bags in my car, a father with two little well-behaved kids was returning his cart to the corral, and I remarked "Did you hear that kid screaming?" He looked nervous, so I hurried to say "Not yours."

And Hopefull7, I'll say to you what I said to him:

Way to parent! Good job.
                    Women can do anything men can.
                    But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                    Maxine

Comment

When I was a little kid, I threw a fit in a store once about not getting something and I was certainly being a brat, and some mean lady, who was pretty large asked me, "Do you ever shuy up?" and I asked her if she "ever stopped EATING". Mom was not amused. Ok, maybe she was a little bit. The lady was a meanie.

Comment

Quoth princess4life View Post
                        "You don't know my mom you have no right to say that about her, maybe she doesn't want us to spoil or dinner so shut your face."
                        Junior, that was very very bad of you, now let's go get ice cream

Comment

Quoth princess4life View Post
                          I have 3 kids that are between the ages of 6 and 3. There have been times I have had people come up and try to tell my kids that I am a mean mommy when I tell them they can not have candy or a soda at the check out. The best one I think i told the kids no and another customer looked at my kids and said "Well wan't the mean of your mom to not let you have candy?"

My 6 year old looked right at her and said "You don't know my mom you have no right to say that about her, maybe she doesn't want us to spoil or dinner so shut your face."

I tried to yell at him for being so rude to the lady but the look on her face was one of total shock and I was fighting back the laughter.
                          OT - My friend's 3 year old will yell at people sometimes when they are being mean. She's not discriminate...it's the cutest thing though.

One time, we were at the pool and I told her not to run. She didn't listen. I told her again...she didn't listen. I yelled at her to not run and she stopped, walked over to me, balled her little fists and leaned forward with her balled up fists behind her hips and proceeded to tell me with a very stern face, "You don't yell at me, Heather. That's not nice. You don't be mean!" I couldn't help it. I bursted out laughing which only made her angrier..."You don't laugh at me! I'm not funny! You don't laugh at me! Okay!?" Then she stomped off. I was still laughing.
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

If I had the time to find a clapping smilely, it'd so be right here.

I think the problem with the upcoming generation is that parents don't have the patience and the will to say "no," so they grow up believing that if they kick and scream, they get CANDY!

These kids become the entitled customers we're so familiar with.

Damn, now I want candy.
                            Current Faith in Humanity Meter:
                            {|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                              I couldn't help it. I bursted out laughing which only made her angrier..."You don't laugh at me! I'm not funny! You don't laugh at me! Okay!?" Then she stomped off. I was still laughing.
                              Oh my word.... I just burst out laughing. My brother said that exact same thing when he was a kid. He lost his front teeth... and he liked Lucky Charms. And we where teaseing him. B, what are you eating? "Yucky Charms" then why are you eating them? "Cause I like them" But you said they are yucky charms! "They are not Yucky Charms, they're YUCKY CHARMS!!!!!!!"

Which caused peels of laughter, and a stomp off "You don't laugh at me! I'm not funny!"

Thank you, for a fond trip down memory lane
                              Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Working...
                              X