This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "she doesn't want you there"

Last week, probably Wednesday, I was at the register....doing register stuff. A woman comes through my line with her daughter, who is about 5 years old, and...I scan her stuff. While I'm doing this, the little girl goes over to where the next set of registers are, and goes behind the counter... "MOMMY ! LOOK AT ME!"

I said to her mother "she really shouldn't be back there", because,...she shouldn't. Duh.

The mother looks at the girl and says "SHE" (in a really really evil/snotty tone) "doesn't want you back there".

Gah. Other than the tone, it was fine, but damn.
    you are = you're. not "your".

Jeez. That kid is never going to learn to respect boundaries set by others. Too bad... for others.
    "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

righto, who wants to bet this woman lets daddy do all the disciplining? "It's not me sweetie, but the mean old evil lady doesn't want you to have any fun! Just like daddy. They both hate little girls you know. Remember, I'm your friend! Love me, goddamn you, love me!"

Comment

Children who play on empty registers drive me nuts.
        Our registers are completely open and one day, while checking through this kid's parent's stuff, the kid ran over to the empty register beside me and started slamming on the kyboard, playing with the belt and scanning left behind items that were on the belt.
        Now obviously nothing was being scanned into the register, since no one was signed on, but still.
        I looked over at him (not his parents because he was about 10 and I feel old enough to receive information on his own), "Hey buddy (the kid kind of "buddy", not the jackass kind), I can't have you playing on the registers like that."
        What does he do? He pulls the keyboard off the stand and tries to set it on the belt for goodness knows WHAT reason, and continues to slam on the keys.
        So I said to his mother, "Ok really, he has to stop that and put the keyboard back where it belongs."
        The parents both had this look on their face like, "we just don't know how to control him," and very passively asked him to stop. A request he ignored.
        I got frustrated (long day to begin with) and shot him the death glare and said, "Alright, that's enough. You're done. Put the keyboard back and quit playing with my stuff. Registers are not toys."
        I expected the parents to bite my head off but didn't really care. Instead they kind of gave a sigh of relief that they didn't have to dicipline their own child and walked away with their heads down.
        Obviously this kid has some sort of warped power over his parents. Horrible.

Comment

Yeah, these are most likely the kind of parents who haven't gotten over the fact that Mom/Dad was a hardass when they were kids, so they do things like avoid "No" and other such strong words, hoping to spare their kids the emotional baggage they have now. Only problem is they don't realize they're gonna screw their kids up as much if not more by doing so... Oh well, maybe the kids will have better results. My parents just treated me like an adult from the beginning (as much as they could), and when I wouldn't act like one, I'd get in trouble/be talked down to, which I hated. Seemed to work well enough, but I got pretty lucky with my parents (except for when my mom was committed, but that's a whole 'nother story).
          If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

*Shaking head* What's with parents who don't discipline their children. My parents certainly didn't tolerate such behaviors when I was a child. I'd have been beaten black and blue, and grounded from everything that was fun for me.
            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I've got some pretty bad scarring (emotional that is) from my mother screaming her head off at me every moment of my childhood. She is a quaker, I swear. I was to be a proper little girl and cross my legs and not slouch and I wasn't to speak or have any fun. I was screamed at for playing with toys "too loud" and everything under the sun. I joke that I spent 13 out of 18 years of my life grounded. It's probably true.

I don't want to have kids. There's too big of a chance I'd let them get away with everything because I don't want to be such an evil bitch like my mother. I want a child to be able to be a child. To play, to laugh, to run, to have fun.

This is why I am against myself having kids.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth LizaMarie View Post
                righto, who wants to bet this woman lets daddy do all the disciplining? "It's not me sweetie, but the mean old evil lady doesn't want you to have any fun! Just like daddy. They both hate little girls you know. Remember, I'm your friend! Love me, goddamn you, love me!"
                Wow... that was uncomfortably probably VERY close to the truth...
                Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                  The parents both had this look on their face like, "we just don't know how to control him," and very passively asked him to stop. A request he ignored.
                  I like to think that if anyone ever actually said that to me, I'd say something like 'then learn!'

But I'd probably just be totally shocked and unable to say anything coherent.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Why is it people always say to their kids, in a roundabout kind of way, "I;m not going to tell you off but I'm goin to make you scared of the person who you should go to when you need help because you've lost me?"

Just Curious
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

They're just wusses, and the kid will be screwed up.

But it has nothing to do with "nowadays." Plenty of parents acted like wusses in the "good old days." Whenever THAT was.

Comment

I'm honestly surprised the one set of parents didn't yell at you, Rerant.

I had a couple of kids last year who had found a display of some noisemaker bobblehead-wand toys near my register, and were banging the toys against the side of the drink cooler. We already had at least two broken toys in the display because of behavior like that, so I simply walked over to the girls and, in my nice Babysitter voice, said, "Please don't bang those like that." This woman on a neighboring register (not mine) gives me this deathglare, and says to me, "I'm their mother; you should've talked to me," in a tone that implied I was more at fault than the kids.

1. How was I supposed to know you were their mother? It's not like you were paying attention to them or anything, or they wouldn't be playing with the toys like hammers and risking breaking merchandise you obviously have no intention of purchasing.

2. Why couldn't you pay attention to your girls and tell them to stop before I had to? They'd been going at it for a while.

Ugh.

My daughter gets to hear no (and an explanation for the no) when she does something she shouldn't, and she's only nine months old yet. (We're trying to teach her not to play with the lamps and the books on the bookshelves, since we don't have the means to babyproof everything in our apartment. We'll see if it works.)
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                        X