This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest pet peeve; people who swing those long key chains around and around

Here's a new pet peeve of mine; people with those long key chains that like to swing them around and around (and some are at least 1-2 feet long) in the store. I once saw a little girl came just a few INCHES of getting hit in the face with one of those ****ing things. Which is why now I always polietly ask anyone doing that to not do that because it can hit someone or something. So far they have done so. I mean, just don't want to see someone/something to needlessly get hurt, you know?

Anyone else witness these (or God forbid, actually saw someone get hurt by one of those things)?

Never seen it in the store, but when I was in college one of my friends was doing that with her keys, and she lost her grip on them and they flew onto the roof of the commons building in my housing quadrangle (it's only a one-story building). My other 6-foot tall friend stood on a picnic table with a broom and just barely managed to sweep them off the roof. She didn't hear the end of that one for a while
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Our fifth graders at the school I work at (10 year olds for those of you across the pond) have 3.5" floppy discs at the end of those (we call them lanyards). They tend to like to swing them around...but not when I'm around. I've hollered at them so many times, and I've told a few that if I see it again, it's mine. I'm so afraid of a little kindergartener walking past and getting a good look at a disc or a lanyard string....

And yes, the kids do listen when I tell them to stop. I've followed through on enough threats that they know better than to test me
      Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
        Our fifth graders at the school I work at (10 year olds for those of you across the pond) have 3.5" floppy discs at the end of those (we call them lanyards). They tend to like to swing them around...but not when I'm around. I've hollered at them so many times, and I've told a few that if I see it again, it's mine. I'm so afraid of a little kindergartener walking past and getting a good look at a disc or a lanyard string....

And yes, the kids do listen when I tell them to stop. I've followed through on enough threats that they know better than to test me
        When I was in 5th grade they had a gold star system, and when the teachers took anything away they put it in a box, and at the end of the school year you could buy back your stuff (or other kids') if you had enough stars
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Funny story about way-too-long keychains.

Was on the bus a couple weeks back, and at a stop I felt something pressing against my shoulder. I look over, and it's the stretched-out keychain of a guy who had been sitting in the back and had just walked to the back doors of the bus (I was two rows behind the doors, four up from the back of the bus), and his keychain had gotten caught on a seat as he walked by.

Idiot.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I learned this lesson the hard way. When I was 16, I was walking to the high school looking for my friend as I had to drive him home. I was swinging my keys around in a circular motion, just amusing myself. I messed up the swing and conked myself right in the face with my keys. Needless to say, it hurt. Big time. I also learned my lesson.
            Last edited by ArenaBoy; 10-15-2007, 04:02 AM.
            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I used to do that with my keys at my campus custodial job, but I only did it when I was on the floor I was supposed to clean, and there was nobody else around, let alone little kids. Never hit myself either, but I always swung them around my hip where they were clipped.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                Anyone else witness these (or God forbid, actually saw someone get hurt by one of those things)?
                I work in a hospital. We had our ER shut down for several hours because they were swinging around the keychain with the pepper spray on it and it went off. They had to close off the area and clean the air before it could be reopened.

Comment

Yikes!

Did the perpetrator get slapped with anything? That could be assault, at the least.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    Yikes!

Did the perpetrator get slapped with anything? That could be assault, at the least.

^-.-^
                    I don't know. I was called in to help ER settle in to their new location ( I'm in IS), and whole sections were blocked off and there was both fire department and army vehicles in the parking lot. I know it took them a while to isolate the irritant as pepper spray (and review the security cameras), but I don't know if the culprit was charged with anything.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                      I learned this lesson the hard way. When I was 16, I was walking to the high school looking for my friend as I had to drive him home. I was swinging my keys around in a circular motion, just amusing myself. I messed up the swing and conked myself right in the face with my keys. Needless to say, it hurt. Big time. I also learned my lesson.

Sorry to laugh, but what a mental picture!

You poor thing.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
                      X