Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really resent that, blah, blah, blah!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really resent that, blah, blah, blah!!!!

Yesterday, I had this old lady who drives me insane come in while I was working. This is the same woman who a few days earlier had insisted that her lottery ticket won a free ticket despite the fact that the lottery machine said it was not a winner. Well, the machine has the final say, not the ticket. If you disagree, take it up with the lottery commission.

So, she comes up to the register with a lottery slip, and proceeds to fill it out. We have a special stand where customers can take care of that before they come to the register. That's where she had to go to get the slip in the first place. The afternoon rush is starting, so several customers are waiting behind her in line. I politely ask her to return to the lottery station to fill it out. She refuses, but scoots over just slightly. I don't say anything, but give her a dirty look.

I ask for the next customer in line. She gives me a dirty look, but goes back to her lottery slip. The next customer steps forward. Several customers later, she finally finishes filling out her numbers. She looks at me expectantly, but I finish with the customer whose order was being rung up.

She hands me her slip to run through the machine. She also had gas to pay for, so I ring it up. We're a BP station, so we have a scratch-and-win promotion for customers who purchase a minimum of five gallons. So, I hand her a ticket with her change. She scratches it off, and won a $5 gas card. You have to go online to redeem it, and the instructions tell that. She asks if there is any other way to redeem it. I explain that you have to redeem it online.

"Well, I really resent that! Some of us don't have computers, you know!"

"I'm sorry to hear that, but that's all I know about it."

"Well, it's just ridiculous! This does me no good."

"I think it says it on the literature at the pump, too. I don't think there's much we can do about it here. I think you'd have to contact BP or whoever is listed on the game card. Would you like to speak to the manager?"

"No, but you can tell your manager that I resent that! It's false advertising!"

"Sorry, but it's out of my hands. You can talk to the manager if you like, though."

"No, I just won't be back."

"Sorry you feel that way, but that's fine by me."

She stepped off to the side looking at lottery tickets, but continued grumbling about how unsuitable it was. I just tuned her out, and took the next customer in line. She stood there for a few minutes before she finally left.

Miserable old hag! I wonder how long before she graces us with her presence again.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

False ADVERTISING!
    There's no way. It's a f*ckin' freebie, you old bat! You paid me nothing for this scratch off ticket. It came with the gas you bought. There's no possibility of "False advertising"!
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Hmm. Probably the closest a person could come is maybe discrimination or bait and switch, as the scratch 'n win could be the bait, and the not able to redeem it the switch?

*quits trying to think like an SC*
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

"Sorry, ma'am, it's really an elaborate scam. See, we give the tickets to people we think won't have computers, they can't redeem the gas they've won, they lose their minds and swear off gas as a whole, their car dies and then they're the bus driver's problem. Now, will you be needing a bus pass, tickets, or tokens?"

Comment

OK, I agree it would be more...fair...to have an alternate way to redeem it (does she know no one who has a computer as well?) but false advertising? I think not.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            OK, I agree it would be more...fair...to have an alternate way to redeem it (does she know no one who has a computer as well?) but false advertising? I think not.
            and she could always go to the library.
            I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

I never understood those that scream "I don't have a computer" in situations like this. There's always the public library. (Though those that don't have computer probably don't read either.) Or they can go to a Best Buy or Circuit City, which usually has a kiosk connected to the Internet. There's really no excuse.

I usually heard this from people asking me for a job application at Best Buy. The company's application is online. Okay, you want to work in a store where computers are a cornerstone of its business model and requires some rudimentary knowledge of computers, but you're bitching because you don't have one and are too lazy to gain access to a public kiosk?
              A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                "Sorry, ma'am, it's really an elaborate scam. See, we give the tickets to people we think won't have computers, they can't redeem the gas they've won, they lose their minds and swear off gas as a whole, their car dies and then they're the bus driver's problem. Now, will you be needing a bus pass, tickets, or tokens?"

Then instead of being the bag lady she's the bus lady. And the bus driver's problem.

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

lol omg i love the but i dont have a computer people.
                  people get pissed at me all time because its wrong to say internet.
                  See one of th companys i take calls for doesnt have a standard broucher, i actually understand this because all the info you would have to put in it would make them wild expensive to produce there for raising the price of the product, and less sells.
                  They do have a website.
                  and if you provide me with your email and phone number and i idicate that you where interesting in info, maybe you might get a call and the CSR will figure out what it is you want.
                  but god good apparently im discriminating to the old and bald.
                  Also apparently me not know EVERY store in america the stocks a product means im a lying bitch... all fun

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
                    "Sorry, but it's out of my hands. You can talk to the manager if you like, though."

"No, I just won't be back."
                    Wish customers would stop raising our hopes like that. -.- It just makes it even more disappointing when they turn up the next week.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

I had mentioned that old hag to the manager today since the manager had previously dealt with her over that stupid lottery ticket she swore was a winner even though the machine said it was not. The manager said the same thing I'd thought about this woman, "That was rude! Miserable old hag!"

I just started laughing because that's what I thought of her for refusing to move back to the lottery scratch station to fill out her playslip. *sigh* People, can't live with them, can't kill them off!
                      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                      X