X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Zip Code madness!

Forgot this lady until just now.

Perfectly normal transaction, woman with younger daughter in tow.
    Ring the whole thing, she pays with a card, and I ask for her zip code.
    She looks at me like I just told her she has to cut off her left tit and join the Amazons. "What do you need my zip code for?"
    "To finish the transaction, and get to the receipt."
    "Fine, it's XXXXX, but I'm never coming back here again."
    Oh, kay... of all the reasons, in all the world, to give me that particular line, after being perfectly normal throughout the transaction, that is absolutely the worst.

Yes, I know, it's her right to not shop here because of our business requirements. Yes, I know, slippery slope, and yada yada yada.
    However, congrats honey, you're not the first to get angry at us asking for your zip code, and you are not the first to complain to management, and they still haven't taken it away. No, I'm not about to hunt you down from your zip code to pester you with junk mail.
    "I call murder on that!"

I just don't understand the paranoia about zip codes (or for us Aussies post codes). My post code covers 5 different suburbs, how the hell are they going to track me down and bug me, better yet I can lie and the cashier will never know the difference. Some people, I think, need to stop watching tv and movies, where they are obviously easily influenced by these things. Or maybe just grow a brain.
    Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

"You do understand, it's not ME who wants your damned zip code, you crazy bitch"

Wait, you're not allowed to say than and keep the job...
      you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Most places ask for zip to record business stats...but hey! Freak out for no reason, SC.
        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

My postcode narrows it down to a range of 6 houses, all built at the same time.
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

It is a marketing thing to ask for zip codes in some form. Either they want to know what area to send sales flyers or they want to know where they should put another location. But giving your zip code does NOT single you out! It singles out - oh, I don't know - 100+ city blocks. If enough folks from that zip code patronize the business - they make decisions based on those numbers. Be lucky they don't ask for phone numbers - which I've run into in some places and, I have not been sucky about it - but I have refused to give THAT out.
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Ok, so if you give the zip code for 20678 they might know that you're in Prince Frederick Maryland. Considering that it takes a good 30 minutes to get from one end of the zip code to the other...

...How in the name of Zeus's Nut Sack are they going to hunt you down with spam and/or evil ninja code monkeys to hurt you?

Jesus people! Get over yoursleves and just give us the goddamn zip code.

And as for threatening us to never shop here again...can we get that in writing? Pretty please?
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I guess she'll never be paying for gas with her cc either. The pumps always ask for my zip.
                I will never go to school!

Comment

If its that big of a deal for a cashier not to know her zip code, why doesn't she just give a fake one instead of flipping out.
                  "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
                  "Red."
                  "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
                  "RED!"
                  "..."

Comment

I don't understand the problems people have about telling their postal codes or zip-codes. To me, it makes good sense. Here's the situation...

I'm shopping at a store far away from my home. I'd like to have this store more convenient to me. If enough people from my zip-code provide that information, the corportion may decide to open an outlet in my neighborhood. I'd certainly like that.

You can't have your identity stolen by providing a zip/postal code to a cashier.
                    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

When I'm in WI, I never know whether I should give my NJ ZIP, or my sister's.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

so yesterday I stopped by the store where I work over the holidays . . .the person ringing me up is the one who calls in replacements for the ill (those going to miss a shift)
                        at the end of the ring out it asks for a phone number . . .yes way more informative than a zip code
                        of course my reply was "you don't still have it memorized . . .I should be hurt" then I gave him the number
                        He laughed and said he would work on memorizing it again before long.

Comment

Just a note to those talking about giving out fake ZIP codes: We had a post about ZIP codes recently where one clerk revealed the fact that they could be fired for having fake ZIP codes entered at their stand.

If you absolutely have to hide what part of the state you happen to come from, then pick a place like the center of the busiest city in the area and use their ZIP code. But then, don't be too surprised if your credit card transaction gets denied.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

How does the clerk know if it is fake or not? They can only input what the customer gives them.

I can understand for Credit Card verification you have to match where your bill is mailed to.

I think where Juwl works is for company R&D. They want to know what part of the metroplex people are coming from to shop at their store location.

Comment

When we had blitzes of asking for phone numbers, I would just make up phone numbers. Never got in trouble and didn't have to deal with asking people.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X