This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the email I just recieved:

The computer screen here at <Off-Site Location> continues to go in & out. This started when the phone number at <Off-Site Location> was changed. Can you please repair this? I already check the screen display in the control panel & the time is set at 20 minutes not every minute like the time clocks. Thank you
    The scariest thing? I think I have this diagnosed as a loose power cable on a flat-screen monitor. I'm getting good at reading crazy.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Bad News: I was right.

Geek King learned a new skill!
    Read/Write Gibberish
    Your party found 6 gold!
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

What scares me is that the user knows how to get to the control panel.

I"m trying to decipher the "time" part. I can't think of any setting that would have a 20 in it...
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I'm more scared that they're allowed access to it. Our IT team lock down anything where I could do any good.

All we're allowed is 'add remove printers' and that's about it. I even once tried for cmd, since I was curious - admin blocked.

Rapscallion

Comment

I think he's talking about the buttons on the screen itself, with which you can change the color balance &c, not the Windows control panel.

Comment

We don't lock down the control panel or display properties because users are allowed to customize their settings. Some of them need to adjust things under accessability options for various reasons. If someone can't deal with the responsability of that access, we limit them individually.

I really don't know where the happy horseshit about the display or clock mentioned in the email came from. Everything else was in good working order when I poked around. This user tends to string together random bits of of their computer with buzzwords they've heard recently to make it sound like they can't do their work. The managers that have been in charge of theis person (who gets bounced around my organization on a regular basis, favored-idiot-style) are aware of these little hi-jinks, and mostly just roll their eyes at it.
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Bad News: I was right.

Geek King learned a new skill!
              Read/Write Gibberish
              Your party found 6 gold!
              Bump bah da daaaah da da duh dadaaah!
              "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

what's scary is that the user had access to the control panel
                when they clearly thought it was somehow related to the phone

Comment

Was he looking at screensaver or power management settings? Those are the only things off of the CP I can think of where 20 minutes would come into play.
                  "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                  "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                  My MySpace
                  My LiveJournal

Comment

Superdan beat me to it.
                    I'd bet 20 to 1 (heeheee see what I did there?) that they were looking at the timedelay for the screensaver.
                    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      This user tends to string together random bits of of their computer with buzzwords they've heard recently to make it sound like they can't do their work.
                      I get that as a freelancer a lot. One of the main reasons I generally don't diagnose or TS over the phone unless I know the user and/or system already; no way to know if they're telling me what's actually happening or the latest buzzwords they saw on Yahoo. Also no telling if they're actually doing what I tell them or what $article says they should do.

(once I was in the middle of a convoluted scan/uninstall/reboot cycle of removing some embedded malware...I got up to hit the bathroom for under a minute, came back and moron was in the registry "what you were doing is too slow and this article said I should do this!". Luckily, I had backed it up)
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 02-22-2011, 01:49 PM.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I like how they assume the phone system has some arcane influence over how their computer monitor works. Had one user accuse me once of making his screen all fuzzy simply because I installed a new printer. The reason it was fuzzy? LCD flat panel set to a low resolution, that he'd set himself. However because I touched the machine, I'm suddenly the reason why it's fuzzy.

Not as bad as an old co-worker though. We worked for a bank, and he stopped in at a branch to cash a check. An hour later the server crashes. He is blamed because he cashed a check. Behold! We now wield the power to crash machines with our mere presence!
                        A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Working...
                        X