• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Sky (tornadoes)

Great Googly Moogly...
    this is terrifying.
    Observe:

Sky over Kansas City Missouri.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

That'll go along with the "pictures that look photoshopped but aren't".
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Funny thing is, that was yesterday, when we just had some severe storms. A number of funnel clouds touched down in KC today, though. It looks like it's all passed through here. Nothing in my town, thankfully, and Fiance is fine. I hope the folks further east are taking shelter...
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I have posted here several times about the time my family had to outrun a tornado in Beaver Dam, WI. The clouds were just as green and had little "fingers" coming down from them.

When we had the Uber-thunderstorm in my city in 2001, the sky got green like that too just before the storm hit.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I just got off the phone with Dad; according to the old-timers, that type of green cloud usually signifies a lot of hail. Which tends to go hand in hand with tornado-y weather.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            That'll go along with the "pictures that look photoshopped but aren't".

actually I'd say it is shopped-there is a building with the reflection of the sun(it's just below the "e" on the clipped off sign), and shadows of the buildings over traffic, at 1pm when the picture was reportedly taken, the shadows wouldn't be that stretched out, and the sun wouldn't be that low on the building it's reflected in/on. And if the sun is reflected ON the buildings....how is it also peeking through the clouds behind them?

and considering this picture was taken around the same time by someone I actually know(that was driving through Joplin), and not posted on boingboing, yeah.....

red circles are the sun reflected on buildings-low in the sky(not near apex as it would be at 1pm)

blue circle is sun behind clouds and building-note sunbeams coming out towards smokestacks.

Pink line is the shadow that would be almost non-existant, not almost equal to the building at 1pm.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 05-26-2011, 01:22 AM.
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

BK, I know nothing about the time the picture was taken or it's veracity. However I did want to point out a couple of things.

The "smokestacks" are actually the top of Bartle Hall, one of the main convention centers downtown. No, I have no idea why it's like that. In person, it looks like a small section of a suspension bridge. (ETA: The 'sunbeams' you see might be the wires coming down from the towers.)

Joplin is actually about 3 hours south of Kansas City, so it's entirely possible for there to be different weather there.

I know people in Kansas City who know the meteorologist (or, at least, follow him on Facebook). He posted the picture on Facebook sometime yesterday, and they were sharing it, saying that it was accurate. I can't confirm or deny, as I live slightly west of KC and didn't go outside much yesterday. It did storm yesterday afternoon.

Comment

If you really want to verify, just follow the link to the photographer who took it. The meterologist just reposted it on his wall.

I think considering the crappy weather we've had over the last few days in the Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri areas, I'm willing to believe it. I've seen green clouds and it's unnerving.

We had green clouds briefly today before all hell broke loose.

Just wanted to add:

Just because one area experiences one type of weather, does not mean that another area 3 hours away will be experiencing the same type of weather. It's like saying because it's sunny in Florida, it must be sunny everywhere. If that were truly the case for weather, can you imagine how fucked our planet would be? We'd either be freezing, sweltering, flooded or dry as a desert.
                Last edited by fma_fanatic; 05-26-2011, 03:36 AM.
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I see light reflecting like that all the time in MyCity-- the clouds block out direct light, but buildings get lightshine like that. I'd identify that shine as indirect. Directly, and it'd be more silvery and harsh.
                  (So it's not peeking through the clouds, but reflecting off everything else, like the ground, and cooking it indirectly. It means that cloud cover is not complete)
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                    Just because one area experiences one type of weather, does not mean that another area 3 hours away will be experiencing the same type of weather.
                    Doesn't even need to be that far away.
                    I live in the mountains and it is very common for me to be in one type of weather in valley community 10km away, go around a mountain and into completely different weather over my home town.

example; rain in valley community, all the way along the highway to the last turn before home community, where I will hit super sun on high beam.

Comment

Video on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...tornado?hpt=T2
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                        I know people in Kansas City who know the meteorologist (or, at least, follow him on Facebook). He posted the picture on Facebook sometime yesterday, and they were sharing it, saying that it was accurate.
                        Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                        If you really want to verify, just follow the link to the photographer who took it. The meterologist just reposted it on his wall.
                        he posted it with this statement

"It was taken by Scott Cook, and it is more like photo art as he enhanced the photo. "

ergo it was photoshopped, as I said.
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          he posted it with this statement

"It was taken by Scott Cook, and it is more like photo art as he enhanced the photo. "

ergo it was photoshopped, as I said.
                          depends on the definition of "photoshopped". Enhanced usually means colour levels are adjusted to make them more vibrant (the green clouds I've seen are more of an olive drab than the almost neon in the photo), while Altered means items have been added or removed to make a photo that wasn't taken naturally.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                            depends on the definition of "photoshopped". Enhanced usually means colour levels are adjusted to make them more vibrant (the green clouds I've seen are more of an olive drab than the almost neon in the photo), while Altered means items have been added or removed to make a photo that wasn't taken naturally.
                            Last truely nasty weather I went through was the tornado touchdown at pennsic lo these many years ago. The sky had lead colored clouds, and was yellow green, like a citrine . Very creepy looking, and the heavy electrical feeling was horrific.

I am hoping that the people in tornado alley make it, and very glad I do not live there!
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I once saw a green sky here. It was, I kid you not, during a thunder-and-lightning snowstorm.

Comment

Working...
                              X